Yet another Zephyr build thread? / Zephyr L1 cert motor?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJRNY

well it has fins and took off like a rocket....
Reaction score
I finally started my Zephyr build yesterday. I'm not sure we really need another Zephyr build thread, do we?

Meanwhile I'd like to pose a question about motors. The Zephyr is, I think, a popular model for L1 cert. So for those people who used a Zephy for your L1 certification, what motor did you use? If you had it to do over, would you choose the same motor, or would you use a different motor (and if so, what?)?

Thanks!

H219, H283 are good options as 38mm disposables. Get an H550 if you get froggy (I don't recommend this first).

For 29's, look at H-115DM, H135W, if you like disposables. There's some other alternatives if you have some casings.

The 38's will leave pretty quick.

H219, H283 are good options as 38mm disposables. Get an H550 if you get froggy (I don't recommend this first).

For 29's, look at H-115DM, H135W, if you like disposables. There's some other alternatives if you have some casings.

The 38's will leave pretty quick.
Thanks, this is good information. Which one did you use for your L1 certification?

29mm CTI H133 Blue streak I used for my L1 in the zephyr
Went about 1400 feet took off the pad with plenty of thrust
I mainly fly 38mm now but that motor is always a favorite for my zephyr

Thanks, this is good information. Which one did you use for your L1 certification?
H219, in a LOC Goblin. The 219 has a little less punch than the 283, but a little more impulse, from memory. Weight wise, a 4"goblin should be pretty similar to a Zephyr, though the Goblin will be a little draggier, depending on all your airfoiling, etc.....

I've flown that 4" Goblin on a couple of different J motors, a J425 red (38mm) and a J250 (54mm).

If you choose to go the reload route, I recommend the H123. I certified on that combo, Zephyr and H123. My Zephyr hits about 2000 feet in this motor. If you go single use, The H100 is a great choice. In September last year, my club (SEARS572) had several NAR Jr L1 certs with the kids flying Zephyrs on H100s.

If you choose to go the reload route, I recommend the H123. I certified on that combo, Zephyr and H123. My Zephyr hits about 2000 feet in this motor. If you go single use, The H100 is a great choice. In September last year, my club (SEARS572) had several NAR Jr L1 certs with the kids flying Zephyrs on H100s.
I didn't suggest the H100 because I haven't flown one. Seems like those get bought up by the colleges. That should be a great disposable for L1 in a Zephyr, and should work well.

Thanks, this is good to know. I am thinking for now I'll stick with SU motors. Right now I am not sure if I'll be launching enough to justify the initial cost of motor hardware. I can always make that investment later if this changes.

Thanks, this is good to know. I am thinking for now I'll stick with SU motors. Right now I am not sure if I'll be launching enough to justify the initial cost of motor hardware. I can always make that investment later if this changes.
That probably is a good choice, but I just flew a rocket this last weekend using a motor case I bought 20 years ago.
If you intend to NOT fly after a year or so and get out of the hobby, then go SU, but if you don't really see an end to your being in the hobby you might as well start saving on reload cost vs. SU right away. Besides, many find it satisfying to build reloads, another fun part of the hobby.

I would caution against the H100 unless you build it light. If you use a lot of epoxy and add extra weight it can be marginal. I did an L1 cert for a club member with a Zephyr that was rejected by the RSO due to weight issues. I swapped him for a higher impulse engine and the cert was successful.

Last edited:
That probably is a good choice, but I just flew a rocket this last weekend using a motor case I bought 20 years ago.
If you intend to NOT fly after a year or so and get out of the hobby, then go SU, but if you don't really see an end to your being in the hobby you might as well start saving on reload cost vs. SU right away. Besides, many find it satisfying to build reloads, another fun part of the hobby.
Thanks, that is a good perspective. I haven't decided I WON'T fly for years to come, but for now I want to see how it all plays out. I don't have a place locally to launch HPR so I joined a club a couple hours away and will try that when their launches start up this spring. I'm thinking if all goes well I will likely get into reloads later this year.

Meanwhile I am looking into where I might start. When my Zephyr is completed I will have 3 HPR capable rockets, 2 x 38mm and a 29mm. With adapters I can fly all 3 on 29mm. CTI reloads seem to be simpler but I have read all CTI reloads require hazmat fees, but not all AT reloads do. And then there is the case variable, ideally I'd like one all 3 can fly on (which would mean starting with some 29mm case).

So it is not really a question of if I get into it, but when and how. I don't want to end up with hardware I can't or won't use in the future if I can avoid it.

Thanks!

I understand exactly where you're at. When I started out 21 years ago, CTI wasn't even an option. I had flown Hobbyline for several years and bought the 29/180 & 29/240 cases. The next year I got the 38/240, 38/480. The next year a 38/720 and I found a great deal on a 54/1280. Then it was a used 54/1706 case a 38/600 case to round out the 38mm motor set. The last and final case was a CTI Pro54 6XL. The only ones I've bought since then have been 38, 54, & 76 snap ring cases for EX.

It's a journey you have to take at your own pace and budget.

Good Luck!

Does the club you joined have an on site vendor? If so, use them initially.
All of the aerotech 29mm high power reloads ship without hazmat fees. It does not take too long for a $44+ hazmat fees savings to equal the cost of a starter case.

Last edited:
I understand exactly where you're at. When I started out 21 years ago, CTI wasn't even an option. I had flown Hobbyline for several years and bought the 29/180 & 29/240 cases. The next year I got the 38/240, 38/480. The next year a 38/720 and I found a great deal on a 54/1280. Then it was a used 54/1706 case a 38/600 case to round out the 38mm motor set. The last and final case was a CTI Pro54 6XL. The only ones I've bought since then have been 38, 54, & 76 snap ring cases for EX.

It's a journey you have to take at your own pace and budget.

Good Luck!
That's the type of strategy I'm thinking about. Thanks for the sanity check!

Does the club you joined have an on site vendor? If so, use them initially.
All of the aerotech 29mm high power reloads ship without hazmat fees. It does not take too long for a $44+ hazmat fees savings to equal the cost of a starter case.
Good question. I'm not sure but will try to find out. Also, I am planning to go to LDRS 42 for at least a day, so I am sure somebody there would sell me something. I guess that gives me a few months to hopefully get some MPR launches under my belt and figure out what I want. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back