BP Gap Staging Test

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitchw8436

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Been working on a prototype 2-stage BP powered rocket for our WTSV advanced summer camp project. Hadn't done gap staging before so wanted to run a test before I ask kids to build a bunch of rockets and have a bunch of failed flights. I wanted to avoid the zero gap staging with scotch taped motors because it requires friction fitting both the booster and sustainer motor and I find that difficult to get correct. So I wanted both stages to be able to use engine hooks to hold the motors in place. This was the motivation for gap staging. The basic design is 18 mm motor tubes in BT-50 airframe tube. The booster motor tube is 3.5 in long and buts up to the sustainer motor tube, which is a standard 2.75 in length. Figure 1 shows an image of the design from OpenRocket. The coupler tube has been removed to show detail of the motor tube connection. Figure 2 is a photo of the as built design. You can see the motor clips in both booster and sustainer, the coupler, and one of the vent holes in the booster.
Engine Detail.png
Figure 1: Motor tube detail

IMG_9709.jpeg
Figure 2: Photograph of booster and motor mount of sustainer

There are three 1/4 in diameter vent holes in the booster. This design was based on Harry Stine's guidance in "Handbook of Model Rocketry" 7 Ed, pp 164 - 168. Harry used two 1/4" vent holes, 180 degrees apart. I used three hole because I'd made a three fin rocket and the the holes had to fit between the fins. The design makes it easy to install the motors and assemble the booster on the sustainer. The motor clip on the sustainer, just slides inside the top of the booster motor tube. I did not use any tape. The friction of the coupler is all that holds the booster to the sustainer.

To validate the design, I performed one static test using Estes motors, B6-0 to B6-6. My test stand consisted of simply duct taping the sustainer to a metal pole in my side yard. The test work just fine validating the design. I took video of the test. Figure 4 shows four frames from the video of the test. Frame 1 is before booster burn through. Frame 2 is after booster burn through but before sustainer ignition. In this frame you can see the venting and, very interestingly (to me at least) fire balls at the leading edges of the vent plumes. Frame 3 is after sustainer ignition showing the booster successfully separated from the booster. Frame 4 is just after ejection charge ignition, showing the nose cone separating from the sustainer tube.

Four Frame.png
Figure 3: Images from video of test 1) before booster burn through, 2) after booster burn through but before sustainer ignition, 3) after sustainer ignition, 4) after ejection charge ignition.

So what did I learn?
1) You can design an easy to assemble 2-stage rocket using motor clips for motor retention and avoid the taping/friction fit issue.
2) Harry Stine's 1960s gap staging design works fine.
3) You get burning exhaust out of the vent holes. This was the coolest discovery, at least to me.

I'm looking forward to using this basic design for our advanced rocketry camp this summer. It's the first week of June. I'll report back afterwards.

Attachments

• Four Frame.png
    Four Frame.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Sound good. The Quest Zenith II uses motor hooks and gap staging like that. It works fine.

The Estes Boosted Bertha, among others, uses screw-on motor retainers and gap staging, though the retainer on the sustainer gets kind of cooked after a couple of dozen flights.

Sound good. The Quest Zenith II uses motor hooks and gap staging like that. It works fine.

The Estes Boosted Bertha, among others, uses screw-on motor retainers and gap staging, though the retainer on the sustainer gets kind of cooked after a couple of dozen flights.

I reckon you could use these as a supply of screw-on caps if you don't have a 3D printer to make "normal" ones. Could even hack some material off the central portion that threads on and retains the motor to keep it light.

https://www.acsupplyco.com/estes-mo...-and-accssories/estes-parts/estes-bt55-stager

I reckon you could use these as a supply of screw-on caps if you don't have a 3D printer to make "normal" ones. Could even hack some material off the central portion that threads on and retains the motor to keep it light.

https://www.acsupplyco.com/estes-mo...-and-accssories/estes-parts/estes-bt55-stager
Those stagers are to adapt the Booster-55 to the BT-55-based ARF models (such as the Spirit). They go on those models in the place of their regular screw-on retainer and provide a ring that fits into the coupler on the top of the Booster-55.

Boosted Bertha comes with the Estes 18mm screw-on retainers.

Venting the Booster-55, Booster-60 helps reliability, especially with C11-0s in the booster rather than D12-0s.

Great job, especially love the fireballs coming out the vents.

Doesn’t confirm, but supports the hot gas/photon theory over particle theory for sustainer ignition.

Great job, especially love the fireballs coming out the vents.

Doesn’t confirm, but supports the hot gas/photon theory over particle theory for sustainer ignition.
Yeah, I really thought capturing the fireballs was cool. Most interesting outcome of the experiment. We've got a high speed camera at our lab. Maybe a summer project would be to get some better images.

I seem to recall that Estes motors have the nozzle somewhat inside the end of the case. Perhaps one could notch the edge of the case for a retainer and butt the motors up against each other?

I seem to recall that Estes motors have the nozzle somewhat inside the end of the case. Perhaps one could notch the edge of the case for a retainer and butt the motors up against each other?

Technically, that's a mod that's not allowed under either NAR or Tripoli insurance. In the case of this rocket, the designer wanted the motors to not be butted together.

Technically, that's a mod that's not allowed under either NAR or Tripoli insurance. In the case of this rocket, the designer wanted the motors to not be butted together.
I know. I'm just evil. One could make a tiny ring for the same purpose, although perhaps gluing it on one of the motors would also be a violation. We're both assuming standard, manufactured motors. OTOH, is the summer camp under NAR or Tripoli?

I think the designer wanted to use engine hooks, which isn't necessarily the same as not butting the motors together.

Back