First Flight Corn E

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As it neared the ground, an excited cadet couldn't help himself and ran out to catch it. There was not harm to either the rocket or the cadet.

CE-f1x.jpg

CE-f1y.jpg

John:

Thanks for showing that majestic flight. It would probably fly great on a SU E15-4W but I had not had a chance to try it. I had used the only E15 in my inventory to strip the chute off of and splat a Big Daddy the outing before testing. :eek:

Glad you enjoyed that big chunk of foam. Try a D12 sometime for a quicker liftoff. :D

John:

Thanks for showing that majestic flight. It would probably fly great on a SU E15-4W but I had not had a chance to try it. I had used the only E15 in my inventory to strip the chute off of and splat a Big Daddy the outing before testing. :eek:

Glad you enjoyed that big chunk of foam. Try a D12 sometime for a quicker liftoff. :D

It was litterally my pleasure.

I plan on trying it with an E15 and possibly E11 and F12 reloads. I figure the F12 should be pretty gentle.

A-maize-ing flight, John!

Sorry, I couldn't resist the corny pun.

Greg

Neither could First Flight. I think that line is in their advertising.

Is a good one, the amaizing one I mean. The less said about the corny one, the better.

I noticed after the first flight of the Corn E that there was a bit of damage to the forward foam on the nose due to ejection gasses. This surprised me since the instructions said that it should not be a problem on the nose surface, only the body surface. This was indeed my experience with the two smaller versions.

damage-1.jpg

Looking at the body, I saw that the ablative layer of glue had worked as intended and that it had no damage.

no-damage-1.jpg

I decided ran a bead of white glue around the back surface of the nose.

glue-1.jpg

I then smeared the glue around with my finger and set it aside to dry.

glue-2.jpg

A day later, the back surface of the nose seemed well protected and the two pieces fit back together just as before. The Corn E is ready to fly again.

done-1.jpg

done-2.jpg

I've had to miss my last 3 club launches due to work but yesterday was my birthday and the guys gathered for a birthday launch. I brought 2 kids from my church and the first one they wanted to see was the corn rocket. I loaded it with a D12-3.

CE-f1a.jpg

CE-f1b.jpg

It took off slowly with much more majesty and dignity than one normally expects from a head of grain and spiraled into the air with dignity.

CE-f1c.jpg

It did not coast too far before nosing over and heading down. No problem. 3 seconds was plenty of time.

CE-f1d.jpg

CE-f1e.jpg

3 Seconds came and went and I knew we had a problem.

CE-f1f.jpg

I had the pleasure of seeing how high the Corn E could bounce after coming in ballistic. It's a real contender.

I found out that the motor had spit itself out; somebody saw it happen.

The impact was hard enough that two of us pulling on the rocket could not separate the nose from the body. This one needs some shop time.

CE-f1g.jpg

CE-f1h.jpg

I've had to miss my last 3 club launches due to work but yesterday was my birthday and the guys gathered for a birthday launch. I brought 2 kids from my church and the first one they wanted to see was the corn rocket. I loaded it with a D12-3.

Happy belated birthday, John!

:clap:

Back