Estes Rockets giving it to retailers

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if this will affect the hobby store I go to. There’s a decent selection of rockets there, although mostly only 1 of each so not a large number of them, but I noticed that everything there has manufacture dates of 2-5+ years ago so I don’t think they’re selling many at all.

After our accident in 2001 we couldn’t supply HL fast enough so they dropped the line. Once we were ramped back up they told us that they decided that one brand of rockets was enough for them.
I see. Dear Hobby Lobby: One brand of retailer isn't enough for me. AT, BMS, AC Supply, eRockets, Apogee, Eggtimer, Giant Leap, LOC, Madcow.... Loads of others, and they're all rocket-specific companies, which I prefer to support anyway. I have no need of HL.

this is not as easy as it sounds. It takes staff, resources, and expense to deal with small orders to retailers. It would mean a massive increase in their shipping and support departments.

The advantage of distributors is they order full cases and in large numbers. They are also able to ship faster and reduce shipping costs for retailers by combining orders.

Retailers may order only one of some items. Unless a retailer sells a large number of Estes products, their cost will increase over buying from a distributor.
I know the issues of direct to dealer sales. Maybe they are figuring the difference between dealer and distributor pricing will make up the extra boxes they have to pack? IDk
There are a lot less distributors then there were 10 years ago also.

I wonder if this will affect the hobby store I go to. There’s a decent selection of rockets there, although mostly only 1 of each so not a large number of them, but I noticed that everything there has manufacture dates of 2-5+ years ago so I don’t think they’re selling many at all.
At this point I know of only 1 distributor that said sorry. I know of 5 that have not said anything about dropping them. And the Estes buy in price is VERY reasonable if your a legit dealer. With my store I buy from many sources not just one or 2 distributors.

I see. Dear Hobby Lobby: One brand of retailer isn't enough for me. AT, BMS, AC Supply, eRockets, Apogee, Eggtimer, Giant Leap, LOC, Madcow.... Loads of others, and they're all rocket-specific companies, which I prefer to support anyway. I have no need of HL.
Thanks, Prfesser. We would need about 10,000 more to write that letter to potentially change their mind.

it may help Estes om the short term, but if distributors and retailers don't support the line, it will hurt the hobby in the long term. Availability will be limited as retailers will cut back or no longer carry the line.

It is such a specialized industry, I don't see anyone else coming into the industry.
Consider Quest (pre merger, buy out, whatever). They had BP motors, they have kits, they had parts. They're like Estes but smaller. And you'd never see their stuff except in the biggest hobby shops. Estes would have to screw up bigger than this, I think, to make room for a serious competitor.

(In my favorite LHS ever I even also Sunward products.)

The people running Estes now seem to be more interested in the dollar and not the people giving them dollars.
Oh god, not this discussion again.

Estes is a for profit company. Of course they're interested mainly in the dollars. That's why they exist. That's how it's supposed to work. They provide products and services in return for dollars. Their interest in providing quality products and services at good prices is that that is how they acquire dollars. This may be a bad business decision, because it might hurt their profit, not because it means they don't care about us. If they cared more about us than about the dollars then they'd cut their prices in order to provide products to us at the expense of their profits, and they'd go broke. Our relationship with them is symbiotic, based on our interest in building and flying rockets and their interest in making money. Their interest in those dollars (and other companies' same interest) is what allows the hobby to exist as it does.

They've made a decision that is likely to be against our interest as hobbyists, is certainly bad for their distributers and sellers, and may prove to be against their interest because it hurts their profit by disrupting the symbiotic balance between us. I hope it does hurt their profit, because then it will be in their interest to reverse this decision. They won't reverse it because we're upset and they care about us, and they shouldn't. They don't exist to make us happy; they exist to make money by making us happy, and balancing out happiness with other factors.

Rocketry is more or less a dying hobby with young kids so
Oh god, not this discussion again.

There've been many discussions here on the forum about how he hobby is dying. At the same time, we have scout troops and school groups building kits and coming to launches every weekend. Most of those kids will not become hooked on the hobby, but a few will. And that's how it's always been: only a few who try it out stick with it. If the fact that only a few stay means the hobby is dying then it would have died decades ago. The NAR membership grows, month after month.

[M]y local HobbyTown sells more Quest stuff than Estes.
OK, interesting.

I've never seen that, but I'm glad to hear it. I'm glad Quest is doing so well, and I'm glad that they, or someone, might help with hurting Estes over this recent decision and get them to reverse it.

I can't order anything to a US address, as my Credit card is "canadian" so it's refused.
I ran into that, but with Target, and in reverse. My niece was registered at Target.CA (among other places) and I wanted to get her something from there. I couldn't order it and ship to her address because my card is American. I had to call a colleague in Canada who placed the order for me, and I reimbursed him by PayPal. If Target.CA took PayPal, everything would have been easy. But that's not about rockets, so I'll shut up now.

Last edited:
Back