Estes Rockets giving it to retailers

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunward

At Mad Rocket Basement
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Estes Rockets is implementing a new program for distributors and retailers.

They are cutting margins and limiting where retailers can sell the line. At the same time, having direct sales and specials not available to distributors and retailers.

One distributor is already discontinuing the line. Others are following the situation. There was very short notice of the change in policies.

We taking a wait and see attitude for now.

Angelo, as a fellow Canadian, I thought their sales model sucked, as we missed out on all the deals & specials they listed on their site..

But, from what I understand, they are sold here (to you guys) thru a wholesaler, so we see none of this. (And we even have to pay for their catalogs!). Are we sure said wholesaler wasn't the one pushing this?! (or Walmart Canada?!?!)

If Estes mismanages its distribution do the point that it diminishes itself, is that bad for the hobby overall, or does it open up the door for a competitor to start up? Or does the scale of Estes relative to the potential market size constitute an advantage against competitors such that another business won't be able to achieve the "activation energy" to really get a foothold bigger than the niche dedicated hobbyist market?

bad for the hobby overall,
it may help Estes om the short term, but if distributors and retailers don't support the line, it will hurt the hobby in the long term. Availability will be limited as retailers will cut back or no longer carry the line.

It is such a specialized industry, I don't see anyone else coming into the industry.

I haven't been in rocketry since 2012, I've always loved Estes. I took a ten year break, I can see Estes is the not the company they used to be, unfortunately I don't see it going well for them.

Where did you hear about the new program? Hobby Lobby is the only place around here that sells them anymore and that's limited.

Could be the start of the end for Estes on top of earlier in the year when they were trying to force everyone to stick to one price. The people running Estes now seem to be more interested in the dollar and not the people giving them dollars. Rocketry is more or less a dying hobby with young kids so if Estes screws up just enough, it's game over for them. Hobby Lobby has almost stopped completely selling Estes stuff and my local HobbyTown sells more Quest stuff than Estes.

Hobby Lobby has almost stopped completely selling Estes stuff and my local HobbyTown sells more Quest stuff than Estes.
Must be a store-by-store decision for Hobby Lobby because the one where I live has about a 10’ long selection of Estes rockets and motors. One of the larger selections that I’ve seen for a Hobby Lobby.

I haven't been in rocketry since 2012, I've always loved Estes. I took a ten year break, I can see Estes is the not the company they used to be, unfortunately I don't see it going well for them.

Where did you hear about the new program? Hobby Lobby is the only place around here that sells them anymore and that's limited.

Estes is MUCH better then it was 10 years ago... Look at all the scale and Kewl kits that previous ownership did not do. And motor development.

It's not 1972 anymore but I think other than B-14s it's better then it was ever...

Must be a store-by-store decision for Hobby Lobby because the one where I live has about a 10’ long selection of Estes rockets and motors. One of the larger selections that I’ve seen for a Hobby Lobby.

My HL stores have a large selection, I miss them selling PSII rockets , E16 and F15 29mm motors and AT motors labeled as Estes

my local HL just scaled back to all of about three kits and a couple motor types on an end cap, down from about a dozen kits, some launch sets, and assorted motors.
I haven't been there in a while, I've been wanting to stop but know If I do ill buy something. Maybe next time I'll go look to see, thank you.

I haven't been there in a while, I've been wanting to stop but know If I do ill buy something. Maybe next time I'll go look to see, thank you.

Nothing larger then a D or E12 motor for sale. A few rockets that only sell at HL I have one. But still at mine a large area just not the larger motors and large rockets like the PSIIs.

I just checked again on Google maps, we still have 3 HL in the metro area

edit: back when I worked before retire I had one down the way from the work campus along with bass pro and wally world and the food places to get lunch. Motors , maybe a rocket , and lunch...

And I still have one 10 mins away at the area I live at on the west side of metro

Nothing larger then a D or E12 motor for sale. A few rockets that only sell at HL I have one. But still at mine a large area just not the larger motors and large rockets like the PSIIs.
Here's what the ones in PA close to me looked like back in the summer. One in Selinsgrove, and there's one in Williamsport I've been too. Both the same setup, I'm gonna check it out now you guys have me curious.

Attachments

• 20230522_104238.jpg
    20230522_104238.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1
Could be the start of the end for Estes on top of earlier in the year when they were trying to force everyone to stick to one price. The people running Estes now seem to be more interested in the dollar and not the people giving them dollars. Rocketry is more or less a dying hobby with young kids so if Estes screws up just enough, it's game over for them. Hobby Lobby has almost stopped completely selling Estes stuff and my local HobbyTown sells more Quest stuff than Estes.
Thats exactly my thoughts too, and its why I said above what I said. I can see the way that company is being run now, that they will start losing repeat customers. A personal experience of mine recently with them about a saftey concern told me all I needed to know about current management. I love the company, but seriously worried about the future of it.

Thats exactly my thoughts too, and its why I said above what I said. I can see the way that company is being run now, that they will start losing repeat customers. A personal experience of mine recently with them about a saftey concern told me all I needed to know about current management. I love the company, but seriously worried about the future of it.
Before you pass judgement on the future of Estes, I think that should get to know the Langford family. Since their purchase of Estes, i think the company has improved vastly to listen to the concerns of rocketeers. Go to a NARAM or NSL and meet some of the family and staff, I think you might see the company differently.

My HL stores have a large selection, I miss them selling PSII rockets , E16 and F15 29mm motors and AT motors labeled as Estes
Hell, I remember when HL sold AT motors labeled as AT. Sadly I wasn't back in rocketry at the time, just casually interested from the sidelines (what the Hell was I thinking?).
There were a *lot* of kids at the last launch I attended and they were all flying.
Indeed, same at the local NAR club. My neighbor and his gf and her three school-aged children have been coming to the last few NAR launches here and show every sign of being hooked, especially the mother and two youngest children.

Its a double edge sword. Limiting the kits that HL can carry and there big discount. Then cutting distributor margins where distributors drop them and potentially less dealers carrying them. But on the other side of the coin. Dealers are encouraged to order direct from them without having to order case lots. And mega discounters wont be able to get the massive discount due to smaller margins so it evens the playing field for the smaller stores. I dont know how many people came into my store look at an item and say I can buy it on line from X for X dollars which is distributor price before they add shipping. Then I lost another sale. Hard to compete with that model.

Hell, I remember when HL sold AT motors labeled as AT. Sadly I wasn't back in rocketry at the time, just casually interested from the sidelines (what the Hell was I thinking?).

Indeed, same at the local NAR club. My neighbor and his gf and her three school-aged children have been coming to the last few NAR launches here and show every sign of being hooked, especially the mother and two youngest children.
After our accident in 2001 we couldn’t supply HL fast enough so they dropped the line. Once we were ramped back up they told us that they decided that one brand of rockets was enough for them.

Dealers are encouraged to order direct from them without having to order case lots.
this is not as easy as it sounds. It takes staff, resources, and expense to deal with small orders to retailers. It would mean a massive increase in their shipping and support departments.

The advantage of distributors is they order full cases and in large numbers. They are also able to ship faster and reduce shipping costs for retailers by combining orders.

Retailers may order only one of some items. Unless a retailer sells a large number of Estes products, their cost will increase over buying from a distributor.

I was gonna stop by the local Hobby Lobby today but didn't have a chance. I called instead but the girl had no idea, but she said I could call back and talk to the head manager after 2pm today but that may be a waste. Ill just stop in some other time, it has me curious now, lol..

Back