Drag

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Disaster_Guy

Reaction score
Just wondering, is anyone here involved in drag racing? My wife used to race a mustang in the mid-9's and we just went to the NHRA Nationals at Maple Grove over the weekend (although Sunday didn't make it past round 1 due to rain). We are talking now about starting to work with our little one that just turned 5 with a practice tree to see how her reaction times are any maybe start to build a Jr Dragster for her that she can run in a few years.

As a long time chief mechanic on a Formula Ford 2000 team....it don't count unless you turn.

And also....real men do it in the rain.

Just sayin

I , for one ,enjoy just about any type of motorsport. Each has It's own discipline. I was road racing when road racing was'nt cool. Least favorite--Formula 1, just too much tech and way too much politics---I'm a Nascar junkie now----Sprint cup cars on a road coarse---HEAVEN--- " We don't need no stinkin hired guns here"

As a long time chief mechanic on a Formula Ford 2000 team....it don't count unless you turn.

And also....real men do it in the rain.

Just sayin

FACT!!!

Racing+in+the+rain.JPG

also truth!!!

i race rally my self... drag is WAY to boring... i prefer my race lines to those of a single file line...

What...are you kidding me?....It takes a idiot to go from 0 to 300 in four seconds...and a lucky mechanic to hold 5000 hp together... :headbang: Also just sayin.

fixed :wink:

rally is what separates the men from the boys... the women from the girls... the die hard from the run home to mommy... our catch fences are trees rocks water and what ever lays at the bottom of a cliff... jersey walls and chain link :rofl: try rotten 40 year old fence post and barb wire... 3 seconds of adrenalin... how about 3 days of trekking through hell and back while battling off satans demons... flat tires... we ride the rim to the end of the stage and possibly the next too... if we roll over P.O.R!!! Press on regardless!!!

a little story time now... last year for rallyX nationals a bunch of us decided we were going to show up at the drap strip one of the nights we were all out there... well we showed up on our gravel tires and were told we were retarded (yes exact words) to be running on them... well when we started posting faster times then a lot of those pavement princess's we were kicked off the track for leaving dirt on the track :eyeroll:

What...are you kidding me?....It takes a REAL man to go from 0 to 300 in four seconds...:headbang: Also just sayin.

Tell that to Shirley Muldowney!

Used to work security at the U.S. Nationals at Indianapolis Raceway Park (now Lucas Raceway Park). My post was at the photographers pit right at the X-mas tree.

There's nothing like feeling two top fuel dragsters taking off when you are 10 feet away!

I do have respect for road course, baja and rally style racing. With that said, as a spectator, there isn't a lot to see unless you are watching it on TV and regardless of the style of racing watching it on TV just doesn't cut it for me.

I used to have a Nova that ran a 9.32 in the 1/4 mile it was alot of fun, then I lost my job and it had to go. I would get back into it but this hobby along with rc planes is enough for now.

I do have respect for road course, baja and rally style racing. With that said, as a spectator, there isn't a lot to see unless you are watching it on TV and regardless of the style of racing watching it on TV just doesn't cut it for me.

Its just like most racing events minus ovals... a bunch of cars go fkying by and you only see them for a few seconds... the best part about being a spectator in rally or baja is its free... unlike indy nascar nhra moto and everyone else...

In the end though im a huge gear head and racing is racing... ill always appreciate a well built machine... next year ill be running pikes peak after a 3 year absense and probably doing a full season of NASA or CRS for rally...

We did a little drag racing in college, many years ago. My father built some drag cars slightly over 50 years ago, the beginning ages of hot rodding when all hot rods looked like rat rods.

Latest posts

Back