Dr. Zooch - Vostok Build - FINISHED!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see many additional conduit and tiny wire antenna modifications in your future. Shinny booster heat shielding, scale data by the truck load, custom milled nose cones, Cyrillic lettering on the decal sheets, massive clusters, boosters falling away to form the perfect Korolev Cross. Yes, a lifetime devoted to building the perfect model rocket R-7 is a lifetime not wasted.

I see many additional conduit and tiny wire antenna modifications in your future. Shinny booster heat shielding, scale data by the truck load, custom milled nose cones, Cyrillic lettering on the decal sheets, massive clusters, boosters falling away to form the perfect Korolev Cross. Yes, a lifetime devoted to building the perfect model rocket R-7 is a lifetime not wasted.

That's funny that you posted this comment. I was just looking at the pictures of my upper section (here on my computer at work) and thinking that I needed to add some details to it to try and jazz it up. Maybe some fake panels made by a few squares of card stock glued on, and perhaps a couple of tubes on the sides for looks. Unfortunately I can't find any good pictures of the real thing (probably because there aren't any) but I don't mind being creative and making up where a thing-a-ma-jig should stick onto the back of the capsule.

Can we see a pic of the whole thing ?

Totally. As soon as I get it finished. I plan on painting the copper inside the engine bells tonight and adding a few things to the capsule for looks (see previous post), but when I'm done I'll be taking lots of pictures!!

And if I go fly it, I'll take some pictures then too and report back.

GREAT job and a GREAT tip on those bells...

I'll use that technique myself when I finally get around to building this one!

Great job on the build thread as well!
Later! OL JR :)

If you read my comment above, in reply to Daddysinabar, you know why I put extra stuff onto my capsule section at the last minute. Here is a picture of the "finished" capsule. It looks fine, but very bare.

65 bare capsule.jpg

There HAD to be more details on it even though I have no idea what they were. Looking on the internet turned up very little so I decided just to put a few things on to make it look more rocket-ish. With humble apologies to Dr. Zooch, here is what I did.

66 masked capsule.jpg

I cut a few pieces of card stock, rounded them, and glued them in line to simulate panels. I also put a couple of pieces of balsa and dowel (the left over piece from the V structures) on the sides, sanded to try and simulate tunnels. Again, I'm aware that these are not accurate, but to ME it sort of spices up the final capsule section. I like the way it turned out.

You can see in the picture above that I masked off the hole where the silver ball can be seen so I could paint the added details.

I actually painted the engine bells before I added details to the capsule section, and let them dry while doing the rest. I pulled off the masking tape from the hole and from around the V structures so I could take pictures. The paint on the "panels" wasn't quite dry yet but you can see how the finished rocket looks now.

67 Finished 01.jpg68 Finished 02.jpg69 Finished 03.jpg69 Finished 04.jpg70 Finished 05.jpg

For now, it sits on top of the desk in the kitchen with my other rockets, on display. I'm going to fly it at some point and add a few more pictures when I do.

71 On Display.jpg

In the mean time, I've already got 3 more kits to build. I'm going back to Estes kits for now but I'm sure I'll try my hand at more Zooch kits in the future.

Thanks Dr. Zooch!!!

72 Next builds.jpg

First of all ,the kit turned out great ,very nice job !

As for the other builds ,can`t comment on the Bat ,but the SR-71 & SI I did build and they were plenty of fun and look very nice when finished !

Great choices !!

Paul T

Mushtang....you did a great job on the Vostok build and on your build thread!!! It really turned out great....let us know how she flies!

very well done !.. those are not the easiest rockets to build and come out that clean!

Looks great! I could never build something so small with such skill and detail, bravo! :D

Looks almost to good to fly. Say a prayer to the rocket gods before you launch this one!

Alex

Thanks for the kind words everybody!!

Doing this build thread was really fun because there was so much to do on this rocket, so I probably won't do a build thread on the Hyper-Bat since it seems like it's probably a standard build.

Maybe I'll do one on the SR-71 Blackbird.

One thing I figured out while reading build threads before this one is that more pictures make for a better build thread! It's sort of silly to open a build thread and see that the first picture is the parts, and the second picture shows the rocket ready for painting.

Thanks for the kind words everybody!!

Doing this build thread was really fun because there was so much to do on this rocket, so I probably won't do a build thread on the Hyper-Bat since it seems like it's probably a standard build.

Maybe I'll do one on the SR-71 Blackbird.

One thing I figured out while reading build threads before this one is that more pictures make for a better build thread! It's sort of silly to open a build thread and see that the first picture is the parts, and the second picture shows the rocket ready for painting.

You`re going to like the way the SR-71 looks when it`s finished ,very cool looking rocket ,but a little tricky when it comes to the cardstock forms ,although after your fine Vostok build ,you should have no problems !
I kept the plastic nosecone in place to aid in the formation and fit of the wraps ,really helps.I used my own waterslide decals from old airplane builds instead of those aweful glossy stickers though !

Cheers

Paul T

Please post the SR71 build.....it would be really interesting I think as its not much like anything else.

Please post the SR71 build.....it would be really interesting I think as its not much like anything else.

Not sure if I did a build ,but I`ll look.

But also ,you can find some good info on the build on Rocketreviews.com

A very good resource !

Paul T

Sorry friend ,all I have are finished pictures of the build.

What I did do ,was paint it gloss black, then apply my decals (water slide) then re-coated with a satin finish (semi-gloss)

I think I used Krylon clear coats for both the gloss and semi-gloss.

Also I used silk screen decals (as opposed to ALPS) not sure if the reaction to gloss coats is different .

Another trick to applying decals ,is to use Future as your "setting "solution and after cured, you can spray anything over them.

Brush down some Future where the decal is to be placed ,lay down your decal ,set it set a bit (30 seconds) and give it another brush of Future and let it be and move on to the next decal.

After you are done ,let the whole thing cure for at least 24 hours and coat with what ever you have.

Just make sure your paints are compatible (enamel & enamel ,lacquer & lacquer or enamel cut 50/50 with lacquer thinner and top coat with what ever) Enamel clears over lacquer is good ,lacquer over enamel not so good, but can be done (done it ,gots to be careful ,not recommended)

I`ve done a lot of things that should have not been done ,and they work .just have to know the fine line.

Sorry ,that was more than you wanted to know, or cared about...

Oh well ,It`s free info :wink:

Take care

Paul T

phpnXbQrEPM.jpg

phpSkysO7PM.jpg

phpV9PTP9PM.jpg

phpxTQAOYPM.jpg

phpzQYFvnPM.jpg

Last edited:
that's really good advice many people have made the mistake of painting it flat black than trying to apply the decals ..they will stick out like a sore thumb .
(same with the gbu cluster bomb)

spray it gloss black , apply decals, spray satin or dull cote.

sr-71 side.jpg

OK ,all things you ever hear about paint and what ever.These models were done with enamel paint ,cut 50/50 with lacquer thinner ,then gloss coated with an enemal gloss (cut with lacquer) then using Future as a setting solution (no need for all that setting ,solvent ....vinegar is all it is) then re -coated with gloss, then some flat coat.

Never used Future as a final finish on my rockets ,don`t believe in it ,just does not do it for me (models yes ,and it has it`s place ,as a final finish ,not me ,and I`ve tried them all )

Lacquer is my friend ,and i don`t care who knows it.

Ask me why ,and I`ll tell you why.

There you go ,have fun with that SR-71.

Paul T

phpFbCvFaPM.jpg

phpNaSDMcPM.jpg

phpSypZYrPM.jpg

phpYZx5v1PM.jpg

Thanks for the tips for the SR-71!! And when I build mine I'll definitely check out the rocket reviews pages too - I like having a lot of resources to choose from.

For future tips and pictures of the SR-71 can someone start a different thread instead of using this one? If all the good tips are here someone looking for them will miss them buried in the back of a Vostok thread.

Thanks for the tips for the SR-71!! And when I build mine I'll definitely check out the rocket reviews pages too - I like having a lot of resources to choose from.

For future tips and pictures of the SR-71 can someone start a different thread instead of using this one? If all the good tips are here someone looking for them will miss them buried in the back of a Vostok thread.

That`s a good idea ,so get cracking ;)

But seriously,the build may be a little tricky ,so a good build review could be very useful.I`m kind of surprised you don`t see moe of this kit being built ,although it does have more than 3 fins ....so that may play a part LOL

Paul T

Last edited:
Yes its the thunderbird and no to mars, weather is too bad here right now.

Back