Estes Stealth Build - Some Disassembly Required

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wonderboy

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've been wanting an Estes Stealth (kit #1929) since I was a kid. They just don't pop up that often. I also didn't really want a brand new in package kit since I want to build and fly it, and the new in package premium is pretty steep.

I watched an auction for a built Estes Stealth along with a bunch of other stuff that I didn't want, nor need. The price was way too high, so I just watched it. The auction ended with no bids, and it was relisted for less. The auction ended with no bids, and this process repeated a few times. The price was never at a point where I'd consider paying it. Eventually, I contact the seller about buying just the built Stealth and we agreed on a price and I was able to purchase just the Stealth.

Here is a quick pic of it after I already started the dissection:
20240102_214522.jpg

Note that the wings aren't original to the model. They are painted a different gray, which to me says that the wings were replaced at some point in this rocket's life. Also, after I started making the replacements, it was clear that these were just rough approximations of the original fin shapes. Note on the wing that is removed the straight trailing edge. On the original, the trailing edge has a change in angle.

Overall I'm very happy though that the plastic parts are in good shape. I'm planning on completely dissecting this and replacing all the paper and wood.

I worked on this for a few hours, cleaned up any rough spots, cut out the balsa, and dug through my parts stashes and now have a kit to build!
20240103_200023.jpg

Summary of original parts to be reused in the final build:
1. Body molding
2. Nose cone
3. Engine hook
4. Parachute (it is in amazingly good condition)

Last edited:
I do have a question for the community though. There are wing reinforcement panels that you can see in my picture in the post above. When I made my fin marking templates, I glued the paper printout to a piece of card stock. I am curious what material the original printout for the wing panel reinforcements was made of. Was it plain paper or a heavier card stock? I'm thinking I need to print this on regular weight paper and use that, since it will laminate nicely onto the wings. If anyone has advice on this particular step, I'm open to suggestions.

Here is my wing progress so far:20240103_211611.jpg

I actually applied the lower fins and glue fillets this morning, but didn't get pictures yet.

Progress is going to slow now though since it is so cold out and my next step is to start sealing the balsa. I don't have any non-smelly options for this, so I need to wait until we get a warm afternoon, or I have to break out the torpedo heater in the garage.

I do have a question for the community though. There are wing reinforcement panels that you can see in my picture in the post above. When I made my fin marking templates, I glued the paper printout to a piece of card stock. I am curious what material the original printout for the wing panel reinforcements was made of. Was it plain paper or a heavier card stock? I'm thinking I need to print this on regular weight paper and use that, since it will laminate nicely onto the wings. If anyone has advice on this particular step, I'm open to suggestions.
I don't remember, but if I had to guess, it may have been the same light cardstock as the shock cord mount.

Note that due to the model's weight and small parachute size, a wing or wingtip is prone to breaking on all but the luckiest of landings. I'd suggest at least considering adding a crush or break-away piece to the trailing corners of the wingtips. Maybe "missile rails?"

Looks like it's in good hands!

I can't wait to get back to my pair of them... One will be stock. The other will be one lucky duck...

I have a Stealth also that needs to be repaired. To answer your question about the wing panels, all the templates were printed on the back of the kit placard. So it's like index card type stock.

I have a Stealth also that needs to be repaired. To answer your question about the wing panels, all the templates were printed on the back of the kit placard. So it's like index card type stock

Thanks for the confirmation!

As for progress, I haven't glued my wings back onto the body yet. I'm contemplating making a silicone mold of the plastic molded parts. It's kinda a big investment to get the materials together to make a mold and cast reproductions. Progress is stalled while I ponder this decision.

Back