Do you play video games?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you play video games?

• Yes

Votes: 37 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 11 22.9%

• Total voters
True - but it's hard to capture how mind blowing the evolution in a few short years was from Wolfenstein 3d to Doom, and then Quake.
Descent was in there too and groundbreaking when it was released.

Doom has the legacy of being ported to everything with a screen.

Decent was in there too and groundbreaking when it was released.

Doom has the legacy of being ported to everything with a screen.
Of all of them, Descent will always be the personal favorite. But I don't think it shook things up the way the others did.

tehir 'ari combat was a lot of fun!

the 80's were better!

better music, better fashions, cooler movies.. and the 'golden era' of games: Atari, Coleco Vision, Intellevision to name a few. Not to mention hanging out at the local arcade.. Computers were becoming common-place.. i can go on.. :D
I guess I had “the best of times”! High school in early 80’s, undergrad in late 80’s, grad school in early 90’s! Arcade games, computer games, new wave, real rock concerts, Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jurassic Park.

Last edited:
tehir 'ari combat was a lot of fun!

the 80's were better!

better music, better fashions, cooler movies.. and the 'golden era' of games: Atari, Coleco Vision, Intellevision to name a few. Not to mention hanging out at the local arcade.. Computers were becoming common-place.. i can go on.. :D
Didn’t Atari make such a mess of the industry that it took the NES to fix it?

Didn’t Atari make such a mess of the industry that it took the NES to fix it?

NES simply changed the games from up and down to do Scroll from left to right; that was on the History Channel of Toys last weekend

And that is How Mario was done to keep scrolling in the game plan the designer made up.

Boomp to Boomp doop DOOP [hop over a mushroom] Pop

Edit: My Young Daughter played it all the time hooked to my Commodore Color Monitor instead of a TV that made the graphics much better.

Yes, but I somehow can’t manage my time well enough to play very often, so I have several unfinished games that I don’t really have the motivation to pick up again because I’ve kinda forgotten how to play them.
I like puzzle games (if they’re easy enough for my stupid self to figure it out without giving up and cheating) or racing games, also platformers (usually cheap, cute (depends on the specific game but this seems to be the case more often than some other genres), and run well on my oldish pc so perfect).
Recently I’ve been playing a multiplayer racing game with a couple of friends that is kind of chaotic (lots of crashes) so that’s fun, I also started re-playing celeste to try to get as many of the bonus/secret things as I can so that’s fun (but sometimes a little frustrating) as well :)

I also had fun killing Lara croft, some times in her swimming bath.

NES simply changed the games from up and down to do Scroll from left to right; that was on the History Channel of Toys last weekend

And that is How Mario was done to keep scrolling in the game plan the designer made up.

Boomp to Boomp doop DOOP [hop over a mushroom] Pop

Edit: My Young Daughter played it all the time hooked to my Commodore Color Monitor instead of a TV that made the graphics much better.
Wikipedia…

Montreal has a large game development industry (Movie CGI too!!) I know a few 'artists' in both industries..

One of our tech writers was playing with Unreal Engine to make 'service animations' for our products..

My dad told me about something he heard when he was young.
The little town he grew up in had a movie night whenever a new film came into town.
The tiny theatre would have flocks of teenagers congregating there on those nights.
One of the town elders saw those kids and said something like " Those kids are stupid. They're paying good money to watch something that isn't real".
:D
Life is short.
Have fun!

Do tell!!! A once tried game dev and quickly realized that it requires more skill than I have.
Not much. Got real sick, had to drop out of flight school, picked up the pieces, put myself back together, wasn't gonna get to fly again, so I had to do something new. Went to school to figure something out, took some game design classes, they weren't all that useful (wanted us to work in Second Life and stuff), so I taught myself some stuff. Ultimately went to film school, realized I hated the cul-de-sac of theory, realized the physicality of crew work and my disability wouldn't get along.

At the time, I'd been commenting a lot on game websites; a guy who works for the New Yorker noticed my writing, he liked it well enough that he helped me learn how to pitch articles, eventually I got a gig with a website explaining how game mechanics work. When my work started getting shared internally at studios, I landed a consulting gig for the real big AAA stuff with the 9-figure budgets and stuff, which was cool.

But I wanted to do my own stuff. Didn't work out super well, eventually started my own company, made an award-winning video game called Adios for... well, less than the cost it takes to make a house, but the goal was to go "look, I can ship on time and on budget," and we nailed that (and hey, 94% positive reviews on Steam are pretty good) now I'm working on new stuff.

Making games is hard, but if you put together a team and pay them really well if you're lucky to get funding--the biggest difficulty I have faced is that money is expensive right now, so getting someone to go "yeah, okay, you have a perfect track record, you've got game of the year awards under your belt, you've swooped in and solved some very costly problems for various clients, okay, here's three million dollars, I know you can make a profit on that" is harder than it looks.

A lesson I learned when consulting is that a LOT of game developers are very... well, without proper production pipelines, they will just mess around for years, experimenting, trying new things, failing, and ultimately releasing a product that isn't inventive or interesting at all because they finally went "oh, man, we have to ship!"

With our current production pipeline, our publisher is apparently over the moon with us, 'cause we hit all our deadlines and aren't messing around. With extensive preplanning, we're... not ahead of schedule, but were able to increase our scope without any significant delays and zero budgetary changes.

So I keep directing projects, showing people that we can ship on time, on budget, and with critical acclaim, and slowly scaling up until the point where we go from 'profitable' to 'printing money.'

Last edited:
Not much. Got real sick, had to drop out of flight school, picked up the pieces, put myself back together, wasn't gonna get to fly again, so I had to do something new. Went to school to figure something out, took some game design classes, they weren't all that useful (wanted us to work in Second Life and stuff), so I taught myself some stuff. Ultimately went to film school, realized I hated the cul-de-sac of theory, realized the physicality of crew work and my disability wouldn't get along.

At the time, I'd been commenting a lot on game websites; a guy who works for the New Yorker noticed my writing, he liked it well enough that he helped me learn how to pitch articles, eventually I got a gig with a website explaining how game mechanics work. When my work started getting shared internally at studios, I landed a consulting gig for the real big AAA stuff with the 9-figure budgets and stuff, which was cool.

But I wanted to do my own stuff. Didn't work out super well, eventually started my own company, made an award-winning video game called Adios for... well, less than the cost it takes to make a house, but the goal was to go "look, I can ship on time and on budget," and we nailed that (and hey, 94% positive reviews on Steam are pretty good) now I'm working on new stuff.

Making games is hard, but if you put together a team and pay them really well if you're lucky to get funding--the biggest difficulty I have faced is that money is expensive right now, so getting someone to go "yeah, okay, you have a perfect track record, you've got game of the year awards under your belt, you've swooped in and solved some very costly problems for various clients, okay, here's three million dollars, I know you can make a profit on that" is harder than it looks.

A lesson I learned when consulting is that a LOT of game developers are very... well, without proper production pipelines, they will just mess around for years, experimenting, trying new things, failing, and ultimately releasing a product that isn't inventive or interesting at all because they finally went "oh, man, we have to ship!"

With our current production pipeline, our publisher is apparently over the moon with us, 'cause we hit all our deadlines and aren't messing around. With extensive preplanning, we're... not ahead of schedule, but were able to increase our scope without any significant delays and zero budgetary changes.

So I keep directing projects, showing people that we can ship on time, on budget, and with critical acclaim, and slowly scaling up until the point where we go from 'profitable' to 'printing money.'
Man I wish more studios had people like you!

I used to play Call Of Duty on a daily basis but at some point I realized that it was pretty much the same old thing every time they released a new game.

Plus I don't have lightning reflexes or the fastest Internet required for "quick scoping".

Now I just use my Xbox 360 to play Pinball (offline).

I'd like to get a PS5 Slim, but it's over $600 by the time you get the game and the online subscription, and I can't justify that kind of money.

On the other hand, spending $900 on rocket motors is a no-brainer, right?

I used to play Call Of Duty on a daily basis but at some point I realized that it was pretty much the same old thing every time they released a new game.

Plus I don't have lightning reflexes or the fastest Internet required for "quick scoping".

Now I just use my Xbox 360 to play Pinball (offline).

I'd like to get a PS5 Slim, but it's over $600 by the time you get the game and the online subscription, and I can't justify that kind of money.

On the other hand, spending $900 on rocket motors is a no-brainer, right?
I love my Xbox 360! You should try Skyrim, it’s really big it’s cheap and it’s good enough to be played for over 10 years!

Well, me personally, it's maybe an hour a day.. and being semi-retired and a widower, it's worth it.

I grew up with video games and for a long time probably qualified as a near-addict. In grade school, I had the experience of playing Oregon Trail on a teletype via phone cradle - one of the loudest experiences in my memory. Then, still in my single digits, the family bought an Atari 2600, which I played into the ground. Then a Commodore 64 came along, with plenty of games on floppy disks and cassettes (a terrible way to load anything into a computer). Then an Atari 800, with even more games. I played the early Ultima games fanatically. Later on a Nintendo and a Sega appeared in the house (I had moved out to attend college by then, but still lived at home during summers and long weekends). Within the last 5 -10 years I found myself playing Minecraft, but have since stopped. I prefer games that don't have strict themes or storylines, I would rather be given a world to explore and figure out than explicit instructions to follow. One of the first games that allowed that was Atari 2600 Adventure. You were just a block that roamed about a blocky kingdom looking for a chalice guarded by dragons that resembled some kind of duck/seahorse hybrid. I played that game the most and I still do play it online today (a game takes me maybe 5 minutes). It doesn't look like much now, but it really allows the imagination to rush in. That's about all I play at this time.

1708182113783.png

Just finished a playthrough of Star Wars: KOTOR. The game so good George Lucas declared it canon, with Darth Revan's spirit being shown in an episode of Clone Wars.

Scout/Jedi Counselor build. I can't believe Stasis is a light side power. It seems kind of nasty to freeze an enemy in place while you slice them up.

Back