Video game players

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rex R

LV2
Reaction score
Some time back I noticed that some folks had rather odd prejudices about the character they were playing. In one case they just couldn't play the default hero in unreal because she was female! I could see the point if there was a difference aside from voice in game play, there isn't. Makes me wonder how many people will boycott the new Metroid game . I shouldn't laugh, some people were upset with tomb raider because she used (gasp) guns. Are you one of those who can't play as the opposite gender?

i game a lot, and usually don't care a bit about gender, or skins and such. i play female characters all the time in warzone. for me it's just about whatever buffs a particular character offers. if a gal is gonna kick a**, well, i'm her, guns blazing. right now i'm playing a turn-based jam called city of gangsters i got on epic for free. love it when free stuff rocks.

Some time back I noticed that some folks had rather odd prejudices about the character they were playing. In one case they just couldn't play the default hero in unreal because she was female! I could see the point if there was a difference aside from voice in game play, there isn't. Makes me wonder how many people will boycott the new Metroid game . I shouldn't laugh, some people were upset with tomb raider because she used (gasp) guns. Are you one of those who can't play as the opposite gender?
I’d say no, I’m OK playing as any gender. If there’s an option to select my character’s gender during character creation, I’ll often create a save file with both a male and female character. Which one I try first can come down to canonicity, a default option, a random selection, playing around with a look, or whatever I feel like at a given moment.

I really enjoyed playing as Iden Versio in Star Wars: Battlefront II and I also liked playing a non-canon female protagonist in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. Sometimes if I’d get tired of running around as a male character I’d have Bastila take command of the party.

I also liked the cast of Grand Theft Auto V and I’ve played more Jedi: Fallen Order (featuring male protagonist Cal Kestis) than the game truly warrants.

I play a lot of RPG's where you make your own character and usually play a male. If a female offers some story options that a male doesn't have, I'll more than likely play as a female at least once. If I have a choice, I prefer males, if I don't have a choice because the game revolves around this particular protagonist rather than your custom character, that's fine. The Metroid games, Metroid Prime in particular, are some of my all-time favorite games.

Fun Fact: The protagonist of Star Wars KOTOR 2, "The Exile," is canonically female.

I also once had a TTRPG character who was wanted by the law and got a magical sex change as part of his disguise. Hilarity frequently ensued.

I assume female characters make a game more appealing to female gamers. Whether statistics show this is a good question.

I thought the main character in the original Unreal was male? Character gender isn't an issue for me but there *is* a distinction between single/solo-player games vs multiplayer games.

For single player (like Tomb Raider or Metroid), it probably doesn't matter much. If there's a choice, then the ones with advantages in skillset/gameplay or different storyline/experience would be worth playing (Diablo 1's Rogue vs Warrior or Sorcerer; Soul Calibur's female fighters with their unique weapon styles, etc)

For multiplayer, it can make a world of difference. As with single-player mode, the characters with different skills/playstyles/advantages are worth trying (Overwatch, League of Legends, Defense of the Ancients 2, etc). In Unreal Tournament, there are slight variations in character stats. If it's a simple cosmetic change, it doesn't matter to me, and I pick characters I like or designs I like. ***Other players' perception and treatment of you, however, may be affected if you select a female avatar.

From a game dev point of view, they're trying to get players invested in the characters. If the character is well-written and developed, I don't think anyone cares. Guys will love playing the female lead or wish to do well & protect her; likewise for the female players who, in addition, may identify with the lead.

So these biased players won't try games like Bayonetta or the Final Fantasy series? How do they feel about movies? Will they skip Alien/Aliens, Alita, Resident Evil, Star Wars Rogue One, etc. because they have female leads?

I generally will take a female character.. its' usually the voice that wins me over (you are listening to her repeat a myriad of lines!)

Back