Do you play video games?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you play video games?

• Yes

Votes: 37 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 11 22.9%

• Total voters
It's exactly the same for me. I won't let myself play them now. But the day is coming...I keep saying that I'm saving video games for retirement.

Yep. When my body won't let me race anymore it is so gonna be video games.

loved Decent, the original (on my massive 17" monitor!!)

I did like their last one, Descent III.. Although, like all games back then, it took a bit of tweaking & fiddling to get eh video to work..

What was it with games back then. always an issue with either the sound or the graphics / video..

I have Decsent III thru Steam, might pull it up again over the holidays..

loved Decent, the original (on my massive 17" monitor!!)

I did like their last one, Descent III.. Although, like all games back then, it took a bit of tweaking & fiddling to get eh video to work..

What was it with games back then. always an issue with either the sound or the graphics / video..

I have Decsent III thru Steam, might pull it up again over the holidays..
I loved the little guide bot.
Showed me the way out many times.

I used to like tagging the guide bot with a flare..

Made a few mines in Descent 2

The Gauss cannon ruled!!

thought about doing a few 'missiles' as scratch builds!
The gauss cannon is fantastic -except- in close quarters. Any impact on a nearby surface will wreck you in short order. The phoenix cannon is similarly risky if you aren't watching the way it deflects. Doesn't take much to come straight back at you.

and how many 'guided missiles' did you waste to 'scout' corridors & big rooms?

My freinds could never watch me play the game. Made them sick as they 'rode along'..

Pinball is my game. Only video games were pinball simulators such as pinmame, Epic Pinball, etc. Still prefer a real machine.

Apart from the occasional hand of Solitare, the last games I played were the Commander Keen series. Both daughters loved him! Nothing got killed, just stunned temporarily.

Question: does assembling landscapes, and arranging vignettes, and sometimes actually driving trains, in Trainz Railroad Simulator count as 'playing' video games?

There is all kinds of AI programming you can do to have multiple trains drive themselves and interact with industries and each other - I don't do that.
I put together fun scenes and directly drive simple trains, which you can do either model train style or with the actual throttle/regulator and sand and water and fuel and locomotive brakes and train brakes and dynamic brakes right from the cab controls.

Rock Point Park Station railfan family50.jpgHobby shop cat gets a new box50.jpg

Question: does assembling landscapes, and arranging vignettes, and sometimes actually driving trains, in Trainz Railroad Simulator count as 'playing' video games?

There is all kinds of AI programming you can do to have multiple trains drive themselves and interact with industries and each other - I don't do that.
I put together fun scenes and directly drive simple trains, which you can do either model train style or with the actual throttle/regulator and sand and water and fuel and locomotive brakes and train brakes and dynamic brakes right from the cab controls.

View attachment 619839View attachment 619841
Yes I think it is playing, you can tell if someone would yell at you to get off.

Just realized this is a great place to gush a bit/advertise for The Outer Wilds.

In Outer Wilds, you play as a Hearthian astronaut, from the planet Timber Hearth, and explore your tiny home system (seriously, the farthest planet is like 30 km from the tiny sun - the scale is super small). Soon, you come across ruins of an ancient alien race that once inhabited your system, and you become not only an astronaut, but a xenoarchaeologist. You fly from planet to planet finding clues about this race and what they were doing here, and eventually, when you have gathered most of the clues, you figure out how to get to the end of the game. Getting to the end requires no special abilities or items - only knowledge. You could theoretically get to the end of the game on your first trip into space, but unless you've spoiled it, you have no idea how.

There is no motivation other than your own curiosity, and no combat whatsoever - all dangers are environmental hazards. You are completely free to explore anywhere you wish at any time, but the caveat is that you are also stuck in a 22-minute time loop that starts with you waking up on Timber Hearth next to the elevator that leads to the launch pad. What triggers the reset every time, I won't spoil.

If you are into exploration and discovery, and piecing clues together on your own to discover a solution, I have never played a game that did that better. The fact that you get to fly through space while doing it is just a bonus. And the ending... the single word I would choose to describe the ending of the game when you find out how to reach it is, "sublime."

I would advise against looking up too much about the game before trying it. Obviously, a game where beating it depends entirely on knowledge is extremely vulnerable to spoilers.

If I had the ability to make myself forget something, I would rather forget everything about Outer Wilds (other than that it's fantastic) than any humiliation in my life, so that I could experience the discovery and wonder all over again.

It's available on Steam, and the "Echoes of the Eye" expansion also comes highly recommended from me. Echoes of the Eye adds a new, large storyline for you to investigate, and beating it will, again, satisfy your curiosity, and there's a little something extra in the ending if you beat it.

All these (tiny) worlds are yours. Including that mysteriously unlabeled one.

1702561857722.png

One more thing to say about Outer Wilds - YOU fly the ship from planet to planet yourself, YOU are responsible for remembering to put your spacesuit on, and YOU have to figure out a safe place to land when you are descending, as well as land softly enough that you can take off again. There is NO "navigation menu" that causes your ship to blink to another planet after a short cutscene.

Just realized this is a great place to gush a bit/advertise for The Outer Wilds.

In Outer Wilds, you play as a Hearthian astronaut, from the planet Timber Hearth, and explore your tiny home system (seriously, the farthest planet is like 30 km from the tiny sun - the scale is super small). Soon, you come across ruins of an ancient alien race that once inhabited your system, and you become not only an astronaut, but a xenoarchaeologist. You fly from planet to planet finding clues about this race and what they were doing here, and eventually, when you have gathered most of the clues, you figure out how to get to the end of the game. Getting to the end requires no special abilities or items - only knowledge. You could theoretically get to the end of the game on your first trip into space, but unless you've spoiled it, you have no idea how.

There is no motivation other than your own curiosity, and no combat whatsoever - all dangers are environmental hazards. You are completely free to explore anywhere you wish at any time, but the caveat is that you are also stuck in a 22-minute time loop that starts with you waking up on Timber Hearth next to the elevator that leads to the launch pad. What triggers the reset every time, I won't spoil.

If you are into exploration and discovery, and piecing clues together on your own to discover a solution, I have never played a game that did that better. The fact that you get to fly through space while doing it is just a bonus. And the ending... the single word I would choose to describe the ending of the game when you find out how to reach it is, "sublime."

I would advise against looking up too much about the game before trying it. Obviously, a game where beating it depends entirely on knowledge is extremely vulnerable to spoilers.

If I had the ability to make myself forget something, I would rather forget everything about Outer Wilds (other than that it's fantastic) than any humiliation in my life, so that I could experience the discovery and wonder all over again.

It's available on Steam, and the "Echoes of the Eye" expansion also comes highly recommended from me. Echoes of the Eye adds a new, large storyline for you to investigate, and beating it will, again, satisfy your curiosity, and there's a little something extra in the ending if you beat it.

All these (tiny) worlds are yours. Including that mysteriously unlabeled one.

View attachment 619849
I made the mistake of doing what I normally do and looking around the wik or a let’s play.
One more thing to say about Outer Wilds - YOU fly the ship from planet to planet yourself, YOU are responsible for remembering to put your spacesuit on, and YOU have to figure out a safe place to land when you are descending, as well as land softly enough that you can take off again. There is NO "navigation menu" that causes your ship to blink to another planet after a short cutscene.
not a starfield fan I see…

I made the mistake of doing what I normally do and looking around the wik or a let’s play.

not a starfield fan I see…
Maybe you'll listen next time someone specifically tells you not to do that. :rolleyes:

I haven't played Starfield. I generally avoid "huge" games with reputations of taking hundreds of hours to see all the content. I just don't have that kind of time anymore. It actually makes me sad because I might have to quit Legend of Zelda if they keep going the way the two Switch games are.

Outer Wilds took me about 25 hours to beat, plus another 15 to beat Echoes of the Eye.

Last edited:
Maybe you'll listen next time someone specifically tells you not to do that. :rolleyes:

I haven't played Starfield. I generally avoid "huge" games with reputations of taking hundreds of hours to see all the content. I just don't have that kind of time anymore. It actually makes me sad because I might have to quit Legend of Zelda if they keep going the way the two Switch games are.

Outer Wilds took me about 25 hours to beat, plus anothet 15 to beat Echoes of the Eye.
I hadn’t heard not to I saw the steam page and went and looked at the wiki and then I learned that I should not have. I did every quest line in starfield in only 32 hours but I didn’t do any side quests or anything like that. I would recommend it if you like RPGs with a little action. I was loving visiting my favorite star systems, I set up a base on Europa with a awesome view of Jupiter.

Oh, you seem to mean you looked it up before you saw my post this morning.

I did every quest line in starfield
I didn’t do any side quests or anything like that.
Think that one through again.

I just don't like it when games have loads and loads of side content with a comparatively small amount of main story content. My options in that case are to either spend a ridiculous amount of time on it to see all the content I paid for, or focus on the main quest and maybe a few of the more interesting sidequests and see only a fraction of the content I paid for.

My preference is just to not buy or play games like that. The only exceptions I have made in recent years are the two Switch Zelda games because it was Zelda, but like I said, if the next one is in the same vein, I will probably pass on it. After playing through Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom, I vastly prefer the games that came before.

I used be pretty good at Red Baron 3D and later on Rise of Flight. I couldn't/didn't want to keep up with the hardware requirements so I'm grounded these days.

I remember the days of M$ flight sim. And a pretty good one at that! My dad loved it!!

You could fly many planes, and land at many known (and well modeled ) airports. I once asked him, as I dropped him off at the airport, if he could play the flight sim while en route to [where ever] ..

"Sure can!"

"OK, so when you take off.. start the sim & set your destination to 'your' destination.. And see who lands first.."

I remember the days of M$ flight sim. And a pretty good one at that! My dad loved it!!

You could fly many planes, and land at many known (and well modeled ) airports. I once asked him, as I dropped him off at the airport, if he could play the flight sim while en route to [where ever] ..

"Sure can!"

"OK, so when you take off.. start the sim & set your destination to 'your' destination.. And see who lands first.."
MS Flight Sim is alive and well with a new version on steam a couple of years ago, though the last one that I played came out while I was in high school... I think it was X.

tehir 'ari combat was a lot of fun!
That sort of thing makes me almost want to be around in the 90s.
the 80's were better!

better music, better fashions, cooler movies.. and the 'golden era' of games: Atari, Coleco Vision, Intellevision to name a few. Not to mention hanging out at the local arcade.. Computers were becoming common-place.. i can go on.. :D

Back