Distressing visits to Micheal's and Hobby Lobby

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc_G

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Just a mini rant here...

Today I had some spare time (rare commodity!) and had printed out a 45% Micheal's coupon and a 40% Hobby Lobby coupon.

I was in need of some B6-2 and B4-4 engines and was generally on the prowl for anything good... you know the feeling.

So I went to HL first. They were out of B4-4's and didn't appear to carry the B6-2 engines. Perused the kits, but even with 40% off nothing really struck me as worth buying today. Decided to get some 3/32" basswood stock but couldn't ind any in the lightly-stocked wood caddy. The HL near me (Carmel, IN) is a nice big store but isn't the greatest from a rockets perspective. Frequently out of stock of the things I want and surprisingly poor balsa/basswood/ply stock. I left with just a couple small things I needed (hobby knife blades and a small miter box). There wasn't even anything good in the clearance aisle. I was tempted to buy a pack of B6-4 engines ($7.99 regular price)

Next up was Micheal's, and it was expected. None of the ones near me carries any bagged kits anymore, just the boxed ready to fly kits. And the engines were the $11.99 launch packs. Again no B6-2 or B4-4. Forget about it! Was somewhat tempted to use the 45% coupon on a BOFP, but I have so many A8-3, C6-3, C6-5 engines already that it would just be a waste...just the Bs would be useful to me at the moment. They did have some launch sets (Taser, Amazon, Tandem) which I passed on... got several stocked away already.

It's a shame. I used to be able to get so much more of a selection locally at Micheals and HL. They used to periodically have good clearance deals all the time. Sigh. Now I pretty much have to go to HobbyTown and pay full list price or order online. And even HobbyTown is getting harder to find coupons for...

Michaels near me probably never had rockets, also no hobby lobby near me. I'm use to it. Order online and live on.

After today's November launch I decided to stop at Hobby Town as it is on the way home...still hadn't quite gotten my fill of rocketry just yet.

Lo and behold! An Aerotech 24/40 case in the case for only $26.99. Needless to say, I bought it on the spot.

I should have stopped there on the way TO the launch as the 24/40 I'd mail-ordered last week was back-ordered.

When the mail-order 24/40 comes in I will be able to fly my Double Pumper Jr on reloads....YES!

May I politely suggest that the reason that these stores do not carry a good inventory of rocketry products is because we are very thrifty. I, myself am guilty of this. These stores with 40% off coupons are not in business to insure that we can buy motors and kits at low prices. They need to make a profit. I am sure that at the end of the week/month/quarter/year--they go over a computer printout that shows what was bought with 40% coupons--as well as what else was bought in the same transaction. If people are just buying one item at 40% off--nothing else--there is not much profit for the store. If at the end of the day--most Estes motors are sold at 40% off--why carry them? They will not not stock items that do not return a profit--who can blame them? We all love a good deal--but look at it from their point of view--they are in business to make a profit. You cannot make much profit selling to a bunch of people who only buy at 40% off.

This is a very good point.

On the bright side, looking back, when I would buy something with the coupon I would usually buy a bunch of other stuff at the same time. So they have done all right by me :clap:

Marc

Ditto for me. I always buy something else when I use a coupon for motors or kits.

In fairness, I went to another Hobby Lobby location today. They had in stock both B4-4 and B6-2 engines. I bought the B6-2's with my coupon and also picked up another cutting board I need for a project. They also had a reasonable mix of kits. I'll go back later in the week and buy the B4-4's (With another coupon) as well as some other list prices stuff I need for other projects around the house (non-rocket related, believe it or not).

Marc

Yep, if rocketry-related products are only selling with coupons or on clearance, you can bet they're not going to continue to stock them.

'tis no different than why I recommend folks buy from vendors who support their local club, and who come to launches. Even if you can get it cheaper elsewhere, if you want those folks to continue to show, you need to give them business.

-Kevin

Back