Deuce gone crazy!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n3tjm

Papa Elf
Reaction score
Here is something Wild that my restored DW will attempt this weekend.... CHAD STAGEING! For the test flight, I will launch it with dual B6-0 to A8-3 combo (it is a small field). To insure instant ignition and stageing, my enhanced igniters will be used, and I will use booster motors from the same lot number. It still will be an interesting flight... but I am doing everything I can to make sure everything works :D

OK that's it, The Doug has gone off the deep end this time!:kill:
just kidding, It sounds real cool, be sure to take pics of the flight! :D

Good idea with the additional fins. Did you add some body tube or is it still the same length?

Yeah. Its extended. My DW crashed, so I cut it off above the launch lug, and replaced the tube with a full length Estes BT-60 (18").

Yeah... but I don't have any. If the weather for this weekend still looks good, I may buy a pack at hobbytown when I go motor shopping. I will decide which combo I will use when I am on the field, depends how windy it is.

I am hoping the fins will give the boosters spin recovery, I doubt it, but it is worth a try :).

So when exactly are the D.A. (Deuces Anonymous) meetings being held?

Crazy...you are all crazy. Only the Deuce's owners are normal. :p

Just realized an omission from my post to the 'back from whitakers' thread! Eugene, I enjoyed seeing your modified Deuce and the helicopter upscale (forget the name). Two more that I didn't see fly though :(

Sorry 'bout that! Hit return too soon!

Doug,

Will you be flying it this Saturday at Tewksbury?

I would love to try to get a picture of it at liftoff!

Yes... but after the fire marshal leaves.... I * just * got this e-mail!

The fire department is also going to show up to inspect our hot dog cooker. This would not be the day to fly that new design that you think might possibly be stable.

Doug,

Here is a picture of your DW at the last launch. You can see that only one motor lit. Let's hope that this next flight goes better!!

Yeah.... They were old D13's, and I ran out of good igniters. I tried dipping what I had with Magnelite pyrogen, but that ruined them... so I used the igniters at hand without the Magnelite insurance... I have ordered new wires to make my excellent igniters with Firestar wires and Magnelite pyrogen.

Originally posted by rstaff3
Just realized an omission from my post to the 'back from whitakers' thread! Eugene, I enjoyed seeing your modified Deuce and the helicopter upscale (forget the name). Two more that I didn't see fly though :(

The helicopter is an upscale of the Estes Astron Gyroc. You think you're disappointed that you didn't get to see them fly? :eek: Sheesh...I still have trauma from the experience. I was too depressed to even take the motors out of the upscale Bullpup and Gyrocs.

The Deuce's Wilder (I decided to call it that) flew yesterday at the May 10th CMASS launch in Tewksbury, MA. The field is small, so I underpowered the bird with dual B6-0 and A8-3 combo. Great Flight! At NSL, I plan to do a dual C to C combo!

Here is the video!

Doug, On the video I thought I noticed something hanging beneath the rocket,or was that just my imagination? How did the fins on the boosters do? The idea of CHAD staging is appealing. I wonder if it'd work on an Estes V2? :rolleyes:

I did not notice anything unusual hanging from the rocket... maybe you were seeing the boosters. Anyway, they tumbled down from apogee. I was honored when Jim Flis said he would get the boosters while I went to recover my Deuce.

Doug, After looking at the video again, that was the nosecone I saw, as the rocket was swinging around. Did you notice any time delay between the ignition of the 2 sustainers? :)

I think the motors staged simultaneously. There is always a pause between the time the booster(s) burn out and the sustainer(s) ignite. When out on the field, watching your bird, that delay seems to be such a long time… but when watching the video, it does not seem to take such a long time…

Very, very cool Doug, nice video! That little mind of yours pumps out some amazing things!!! :) So, as Eugene said, when are the Deuces Anonymous meetings being held???

Jason

the whole flight was a picture perfect as you could imagine.

good ignition of both booster motors and what sounded like a single motor staging, the motors stagged so cloes together. One of the booster pods landed not far from me, the second one actually HIT the pad that it was launched from! LOL

a beautiful flight

even the RSO and LCO were amazed... ...hhmmm, wonder what THAT means??? :D :D

I see those rocks turning in Jim's head...

Does anyone think that he will release ANOTHER version of the DW, besides the scale models... staging?

I'd buy one...:D

Hi, my name is David, and I'm a Deuceaholic...

if only I could pump out all the designs that I have in my head RIGHT NOW...

...my catalog would have to contain "volumes"... LOL

"yea, let's see... that would be in FK Cat-2003, vol 5, page 283"...

LOL

Jim, was I the first person that you know of to try this? If so; I can negotiate a fare deal with licensing my staging idea :D. How does half-a-mil sound? :D :D :D :kill: :rolleyes:

well, as far as I know, you *are* the first...

half-a-mil sounds fine.

is that a half-a-millileter, miligram or the standard mili-inch?

Back