its been 20+ years.. i'm back, and ready to rock.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron Soto

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
hi fellow rocketeers.. so back in the mid 80's is when i was into rocketry. i did build a couple of estes kits, but on the whole i was into m/hpr and built my own F, G, and H single and multi-stage rockets. M/HRP rocketry has progressed quite a bit since i last launched.

side note: there were no electronics like today. for instance.. on multi-stage / boosters, i used 'fuse' for the final stage and firing was calculated by timing ignition to appogee in booster, and knowing the two different timings of fuse burn rate. there were two rates of burn.. in a tube, out of a tube. a tube was attached to the side of the booster so the fuse was not flapping around whist the booster was firing, and there was a tube which was inserted into the nozzle around the fuse so the fuse wouldn't ignite the propellent at the bottom instead of the top where it needs to start.... anyhow, thinking electronics will it much easier now for a-lot of stuff.. i especially like the dual deploy. recovering a 5,000 foot launch with any winds and you'd be lucky! now it' s looking like point and track (well.. almost! lol ), and of course there's openrocket and rocksim..

i remember all my trials and tribulations' (think black powder cato's), and great multi-stage flights..! i've been lurking for about 3 -4 weeks catching up.. knowing i'll be catching up forever because we'll never know everything. my current short term goal is to become L1 certified, and then experiment with electronics, dual deploy, and multi-stage in both 3 and 4" tubes. long term goal is something i'm keeping under my hat for now.. :)

i live in florence sc now, and will be going to the launch sponsored by Rocketry South Car0lina NAR #648 just south west of Columbia SC this weekend.

have a great day..,

ron

Welcome to the forum! I remember the green cord we used as igniters. Had to light them w a lighter. They pretty much sucked - could only get ~ half to launch. I don't remember WHY we used them instead of regular igniters?

Would like to see any projects you're working on.

Good luck!

Welcome to the forum! I remember the green cord we used as igniters. Had to light them w a lighter. They pretty much sucked - could only get ~ half to launch. I don't remember WHY we used them instead of regular igniters?

Would like to see any projects you're working on.

Good luck!
i was thinking of starting with 2 kits. one for L1 cert, and another with an ebay and can dual deploy. only one needs to be hp.. but the second could be hpr also. i was looking at one from aerotech which has several mmt's.

Back