Coronavirus: What questions do you have?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
39, I was given this booster during a long set of 12 and 14 hour shifts. My arm was sore, but I was too busy to notice if any ill effects were from the shot or being overworked. At least the light is at this end of this tunnel. Hopefully we get a break before flu season winds up.

39, I was given this booster during a long set of 12 and 14 hour shifts. My arm was sore, but I was too busy to notice if any ill effects were from the shot or being overworked. At least the light is at this end of this tunnel. Hopefully we get a break before flu season winds up.

Third injection? If so you lucky stiff! As young as you are, you should be mounting a good response as long as you're not on immunosuppressants. Hope everyone else in your workplace gets the vaccine too.

Yeah my arm was sore but now after being wiped out for a day, I'm doing fine and the soreness in the arm is abating. Small price to pay if you ask me.

Kurt

Yep, third injection. They set up a vaccine clinic for hospital employees in one of the conference rooms and had us in and out in no time at all. I'm not on any immunosuppressive drugs, but I do figure that since securing and maintaining a patients airway is one of the most important parts of my job that makes my risk a lot higher than normal for my age. The patient's head is practically in my lap during flights or truck runs. That's great for having easy access to the airway, but puts me up close and personal to any airborne or droplet illnesses.

Getting my booster and flu vaccine next week. The flu vaccine always makes me feel like crap on the 2nd day after. Nothing serious, though. I just start to feel like I’m coming down with something. Then it‘s gone the next day.

The first two doses of moderna didn’t have much effect on me beside a sore arm. I’m hoping I get only my normal flu reaction, otherwise this combo might knock me out.

Holee guacamole. I received my third Moderna Tuesday the 26th and ached all night long and was totally useless the next day. I ached all over and felt sh*tty (malaise) the entire next day. Good thing I'm retired and didn't have to go to work! Back to normal now.
I take it my immune system was "really" activated this time! My symptoms were non-specific with aches and feeling "icky". Small price to pay. My neighbor Barbara who is under treatment for rheumatoid arthritis is very concerned in that she had "zero" side effects from the vaccine. I agree with her as immunosuppressive drugs are used in RA and could suppress the immune response. I haven't had a chance to talk to her and see if she experienced any symptoms after the 3rd shot. We're protected somewhat due to the rural area but still live in a town of 14,022 folks. Had 78 deaths in the county of mostly unfortunate elderly patients with co-morbid conditions and a total of 5,307 cases county wide with a population of 35,733 in the county.
The pharmacist who gave me the 3rd shot said he was worried that Covid vaccine might become a yearly thing like flu vaccine. It's still too early to say though. Flu shifts and drifts hence the yearly recommendation. Hope Covid can't do that as well.

Kurt
You weren’t alone. Unfortunately I DID have to work next day. Wasn’t pleasant.

I had my booster yesterday (I’m considered immune compromised), Moderna over a Pfizer starter set. Had my flu shot at the same time, boy I can tell which arm got which. I haven’t gotten slammed with side effects, just mild headache yesterday evening and really tired today. It was not a terribly productive day at the office for sure, and I had to take a nap when I got home. All in all, I’ll take it.

Little dude should be able to get his first dose next week, then 5 weeks to done. Really getting cautiously optimistic about this return to (new) normal life thing.

I found out this week that a coworker and his pregnant wife tested positive for Covid. His symptoms are mild, hers are pretty bad but not as severe as they could be (no hospitalization). I don't know which vax they had but the last time I talked to him they were "fully vaxed". Back during the peak I had two guys in my group test positive, there was no vax then. One had mild symptoms, one had more severe symptoms but no hospitalization. The commonality of symptoms and dichotomy of vax status is a little confusing. I can't really think if a useful question. I tend not to believe any media anymore. All I have to go on is what happens within the 200 or so people I work with.

A bunch of folks have a rough day, Rough day is better than death,
Absolutely agree, and hope my comments were not taken to discourage people from getting primary vaccination or booster. Only to forewarn them they may be somewhat less than 100% the next day.

I would definitely still do it again (and unfortunately unless “three’s a charm” will likely need to in 6 months to a year.). But next time I will plan on being off the next day.

reminds me of internship at a military hospital. Since it’s free, it tends to get abused. I was doing my ER rotation, and I had a cold. I told my preceptor I could probably drop our patient census 50 percent if I just sat out in front, sniffling, with a sign over my head, “This is the doctor treating colds today.”

You’re military, I am sure you can relate,

Absolutely agree, and hope my comments were not taken to discourage people from getting primary vaccination or booster. Only to forewarn them they may be somewhat less than 100% the next day.

I would definitely still do it again (and unfortunately unless “three’s a charm” will likely need to in 6 months to a year.). But next time I will plan on being off the next day.

reminds me of internship at a military hospital. Since it’s free, it tends to get abused. I was doing my ER rotation, and I had a cold. I told my preceptor I could probably drop our patient census 50 percent if I just sat out in front, sniffling, with a sign over my head, “This is the doctor treating colds today.”

You’re military, I am sure you can relate,

Yes. Abuse is common. I remember my Surgical and ER rotation in the internship year. One year out of medical school and I would have quit if I knew I was going to have to work that hard.

ER month: 12-24 hour shifts with 18 in 30 days. My wife was on the delivery desk across town so I would end a shift and drive across down to hold her hand. There was no paternity leave. I worked over 110 hours a week. I fell asleep in the family room after telling a family their loved one had passed. I felt terrible.

General Surgery month: Mostly a scut monkey so Surgical residents could stay in the OR. I averaged 120 hours a week of time rounding on post-op and pre-op patients and getting X-rays, labs, and procedure data for the attendings. The hours with the hazing made me realize I did not want to live that life. I am skilled with small plastic sutures. It is a shame. The kicker was when I fell asleep at a stoplight.

My last two duty locations have been at a residency location. I fight to keep as much off the resident plates as I can and I am constantly enforcing the 40 hours per week standard. It is a different ball game. Part of me thinks the residents are soft and the other acknowledges that what we did was unsafe.

I found out this week that a coworker and his pregnant wife tested positive for Covid. His symptoms are mild, hers are pretty bad but not as severe as they could be (no hospitalization). I don't know which vax they had but the last time I talked to him they were "fully vaxed". Back during the peak I had two guys in my group test positive, there was no vax then. One had mild symptoms, one had more severe symptoms but no hospitalization. The commonality of symptoms and dichotomy of vax status is a little confusing. I can't really think if a useful question. I tend not to believe any media anymore. All I have to go on is what happens within the 200 or so people I work with.

I pray she has a lighter case. We have had a handful of deaths and intubations in pregnant antivaxers. The problem is perpetuated by news sources who say the vaccine is ineffective.

I just found out that the principal of my son's school just died from Covid. He's been in the hospital a long time and had been on ECMO for the past 3 or 4 weeks. The school emailed an update this morning that he had become septic and I told my wife that was a horrible sign. He was vaccinated, but is also a lung cancer survivor having received chemo in the past year or two. He and his family have been through a lot recently.

My son is 6, given what my wife and I do for a living, he's familiar with hearing about death and disease. He's had 2 great grandparents pass, but they were both 93 and 94 and he was well aware they were nearing the end of their life. His principal, is much younger so it may be a more delicate conversation.

I just found out that the principal of my son's school just died from Covid. He's been in the hospital a long time and had been on ECMO for the past 3 or 4 weeks. The school emailed an update this morning that he had become septic and I told my wife that was a horrible sign. He was vaccinated, but is also a lung cancer survivor having received chemo in the past year or two. He and his family have been through a lot recently.

My son is 6, given what my wife and I do for a living, he's familiar with hearing about death and disease. He's had 2 great grandparents pass, but they were both 93 and 94 and he was well aware they were nearing the end of their life. His principal, is much younger so it may be a more delicate conversation.

That is similar to my own family experiences. I am so sad for all of our losses.

Yeah, It stinks if one has to talk to their children when a grandparent passes at a young age. My beloved maternal grandpa passed when I was 9 years old. He was an engineer and used to run steam engines on the Chicago Northwestern railroad and I regret the fact I didn't have the chance to ask grandpa how to run a steam engine! I'm 65 now so one can know my grandfather lived in the steam age.
Kurt Savegnago

Yeah, It stinks if one has to talk to their children when a grandparent passes at a young age. My beloved maternal grandpa passed when I was 9 years old. He was an engineer and used to run steam engines on the Chicago Northwestern railroad and I regret the fact I didn't have the chance to ask grandpa how to run a steam engine! I'm 65 now so one can know my grandfather lived in the steam age.
Kurt Savegnago

My son is fortunate to have experienced 4 of 4 grandparents and one Great GP. Heck, he even had some steps. This illness has made me understand how lucky some are. I hope this ends soon.

Although "technically" we are told that we are past the most recent peak of Covid cases, earlier this week a friend said they were in the ER for 24 hours before they were seen (broken bone, I think) by a doctor. Today my wife's friend, whose husband is a hospital physician, said that there are zero available beds in the entire state of Ohio. Patients are being held for days in the emergency departments before actually getting a bed in the hospital. Obviously, that's going to further impact the ability for the Ears to treat incoming patients.

Be careful out there friends. Now is clearly NOT a good time to get sick or to need any kind of medical care.

Fortunately in Indiana, things are on the improve. There are about half as many COVID patients in the hospitals as at the recent peak mid-September, and new admissions per day are similarly on the rapid decline. Note that 99.6% of tested samples in the last month were Delta... it took over completely.

Thanksgiving will pose an interesting experiment: I've read that travel plans are way up, so people will be mixing. Will we see a small holiday bump, or will it cause a major outbreak to recur? I tend to think that the disease has burned through a lot of the people at most risk, imparting some level of immunity to many of them, and continued vaccination efforts driven by mandates, booster availability, and child vaccinations will help us hold things in check.

But then, I'm an optimist.

Not a question, But I got my Moderna booster today!
I was told it's just half the normal does.

I don't know what size of the 3rd Moderna booster I was given but man 'o man, it wiped me out for a day. Not that I'm complaining but the most rigorous reaction I've ever had to a vaccine. Cripes, I even had the useless swine flu vaccine back in the day.

Kurt

Not a question, But I got my Moderna booster today!
I was told it's just half the normal does.

It is 1/2 the first two doses. It causes a vigorous reaction in about 50% of those who get it.

I don't know what size of the 3rd Moderna booster I was given but man 'o man, it wiped me out for a day. Not that I'm complaining but the most rigorous reaction I've ever had to a vaccine. Cripes, I even had the useless swine flu vaccine back in the day.

Kurt
FWIW, I had the same with Pfizer's booster. But even at half dose, the Moderna booster has 2 millikumquats more than the the 3 millikumquats in the standard doses 1, 2, and booster from Pfizer. The Moderna primary shots are TEN millikumquats, and the booster is 5.

A week ago Friday I entered the ER lobby in our local hospital. Ive never have seen it as packed as it was. People were standing and a line down the hallway.
Ive been in this ER many times in the past, at different times of the day.
When I got to my fathers room I asked the ER nurse if they were all Covid patients. She said no, but various conditions.
Since there were no beds available, the ER was backed up, backing up the wait lobby.
I couldnt imagine what I would be like if added a bunch of Covid patients to this.
Finally they had a bed-in Oncology. He was cardiac patient and had a heart attack. Passed away on morphine 3 days later.
We are having a USMC Honors at the funeral. Korean war vet.

A week ago Friday I entered the ER lobby in our local hospital. Ive never have seen it as packed as it was. People were standing and a line down the hallway.
When I got to my fathers room I asked the ER nurse if they were all Covid patients. She said no, but various conditions.
Since there were no beds available, the ER was backed up, backing up the wait lobby.
I couldnt imagine what I would be like if added a bunch of Covid patients to this.
Finally they had a bed-in Oncology. He was cardiac patient and had a heart attack. Passed away on morphine 3 days later.
I’m sorry.

So sorry for your loss. Let me phrase that. It is our loss. Every vet that dies is a loss to this nation. Our nation owes a great deal for their sacrifice. Unfortunately, too many are dying during the time of COVID when our medical system is stressed and our country is distracted. They deserve better.

One slow salute to another passing veteran.

Attachments

• smiley-yellow-emoticon-smile-vulcan-salute.jpg
    smiley-yellow-emoticon-smile-vulcan-salute.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 0
Getting my booster and flu vaccine next week. The flu vaccine always makes me feel like crap on the 2nd day after. Nothing serious, though. I just start to feel like I’m coming down with something. Then it‘s gone the next day.

The first two doses of moderna didn’t have much effect on me beside a sore arm. I’m hoping I get only my normal flu reaction, otherwise this combo might knock me out.
Booster/flu combo done. Now we play the waiting game.

And I got the kids signed up for their shots next Tuesday. CVS is doing sign ups online now for appointments starting Sunday.

Booster/flu combo done. Now we play the waiting game.

And I got the kids signed up for their shots next Tuesday. CVS is doing sign ups online now for appointments starting Sunday.

What brand of shot? I am not tracking that one has been released that contains both shots. Are you part of a trial?

I got Moderna #3 today. I had to go to Publix. 2 hours later and I have a fever and chills. So far it is less painful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back