Coronavirus: What questions do you have?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What brand of shot? I am not tracking that one has been released that contains both shots. Are you part of a trial?
Sorry for the confusion. I just meant I got a flu shot and a Covid booster. Separate shots, but I got them both today.

So, I should plan on getting my booster 72 hours before anything important?

My experience says at least 48 hrs! How are you and the wife doing?

Thanks. I was toying with the idea of getting it tomorrow morning, but that's less than 48 hours from my Sunday morning start, so maybe I'll find a better interval on my calendar.

I'm mostly working from home. Patti is improving, I think, but slowly. It's going to take a very long time (months) for her to get back to where she once was.

Thanks. I was toying with the idea of getting it tomorrow morning, but that's less than 48 hours from my Sunday morning start, so maybe I'll find a better interval on my calendar.

I'm mostly working from home. Patti is improving, I think, but slowly. It's going to take a very long time (months) for her to get back to where she once was.

I hope she recovers soon!

Chuck,

I know its very early in the booster timeline, but is there any data on breakthrough cases for people
who have had 3 shots of Moderna or Pfizer?

Thanks

Timeline for my booster, I was fine for 12 hours, then miserable for 12 hours. By 48 hours I was pretty much recovered, I’d say back to normal but SWMBO tells me I was never normal begin with🤪!

I dont get it. People having these vaccine reactions. Im triple vaccinated. J&J, Moderna booster and Flu.
Nothing, no reactions. I had an aching arm from J&J and Flu shot for a few hrs, thats it.

I dont get it. People having these vaccine reactions. Im triple vaccinated. J&J, Moderna booster and Flu.
Nothing, no reactions. I had an aching arm from J&J and Flu shot for a few hrs, thats it.

Everyone's body is different and will react differently to medications. There is far more reporting on this vaccine than others, so it is easier to find people talking about different side effects. When you give enough medications to people you start seeing a few outliers where the standard dose doesn't work or effects them stronger or faster (this is often predictable from a few factors) or you see side effects that you don't always see.

Everyone's body is different and will react differently to medications. There is far more reporting on this vaccine than others, so it is easier to find people talking about different side effects. When you give enough medications to people you start seeing a few outliers where the standard dose doesn't work or effects them stronger or faster (this is often predictable from a few factors) or you see side effects that you don't always see.

Very true and no reaction to the vaccine could be a sign that it did not produce an adequate immune response. There is also a new marker that predicts more severe reactions to the vaccine.

I have much better tests than most facilities outside NIH and the CDC. I recently ran a panel of new tests for neutralizing antibodies. I am hoping for this test to become more widely available. For now, it is only for research purposes. My team is finding that there might be something to symptoms from the vaccine and levels of antibodies and especially the neutralizing type.

More research is needed, but there is a small correlation between symptomatic response and the level of immune / antibody response to vaccination.

Very true and no reaction to the vaccine could be a sign that it did not produce an adequate immune response. There is also a new marker that predicts more severe reactions to the vaccine.

I have much better tests than most facilities outside NIH and the CDC. I recently ran a panel of new tests for neutralizing antibodies. I am hoping for this test to become more widely available. For now, it is only for research purposes. My team is finding that there might be something to symptoms from the vaccine and levels of antibodies and especially the neutralizing type.

More research is needed, but there is a small correlation between symptomatic response and the level of immune / antibody response to vaccination.

Could it be that my Moderna booster didnt produce side effects because it's a 1st shot, and was given 8mos after my J&J ?
Most people, I've heard, didnt have side effects until the 2nd Pfizer/Moderna shot, a month after the 1st.

Could it be that my Moderna booster didnt produce side effects because it's a 1st shot, and was given 8mos after my J&J ?
Most people, I've heard, didnt have side effects until the 2nd Pfizer/Moderna shot, a month after the 1st.
I'm aware of multiple people who got the J&J single shot and later were tested for circulating antibodies, and had typical responses (several hundred units per ml, certainly well into positive response territory if less than the thousands of units often seen with the mRNA vaccines), who reported no severe reactions to the Moderna or Pfizer boosters. There is no reason to think the booster was not effective in these cases. Many people have light reactions to any of the vaccines/boosters and still generate strong measurable immunity.

Could be. I am just saying that I would not celebrate a lack of symptoms.

Chuck,
In all the thousands of comments here, infusions were probably mentioned.
A friend coming through COVID mentioned that our local medical center offers it free and I was wondering if you could give a quick explanation.
Thanks.

More specific to the Lancet article. For people who have had covid, do they still need to get vaccinated? Are there studies that say getting vaccinated after having covid provides better protection in the future?

More specific to the Lancet article. For people who have had covid, do they still need to get vaccinated? Are there studies that say getting vaccinated after having covid provides better protection in the future?

I don’t know about studies, but I had a mild case of COVID this time last year, and went ahead and got the J&J shot as soon as I was eligible. Don’t know about getting a booster yet.

Article in The Lancet

Chuck, This sounds like, once you've had covid, you're not likely to get it again. What's your take? Thanks.

Protective immunity after recovery from SARS-CoV-2 infection

While we wait for Chuck to weigh in, I'll point out a problem endemic in interpreting the article. From the opening paragraph:

"Several studies have found that people who recovered from COVID-19 and tested seropositive for anti-SARS-CoV-2 antibodies have low rates of SARS-CoV-2 reinfection."

The problem is something like a third of people who get covid don't generate antibodies against it. There's a good study from a month or two on this. These people likely have essentially no immunity from having had the disease. I've posted the link a few times in various threads.

The studies that show natural immunity from COVID is strong generally are looking primarily at people who are known to have had covid due to presence of antibodies against it, but this misses the third of the recovered folks that didn't generate the antibodies. So, really the immunity is a crapshoot.

Everything I've read says yes they should get vaccinated, and that the strongest protection you can have statistically is the combination of vaccination on top of natural immunity. There are a fair number of studies on this.

People who have prior infections absolutely should be vaccinated and can be vaccinated as soon as they are asymptomatic.

Thanks for the responses. Just so you know, the information provided here goes far and wide. One of my daughters (I have 3) is a primary care physician at Mass General. It's her first job and she's been there a year. She's overworked and struggling to keep up with all the (after hours) work, and raise a family. Not a lot of free time to research current covid news. I always send her the interesting and informative stuff I read on this thread (since this thread started, back when she was still an intern). She's always trying to find good factual information on covid to be able to advise her patients. She's one of your biggest fans Chuck.

And I got my booster today. Hoping for a robust response..... sort of. Thanks again.

There have been multiple cases reported in the news of people who got COVID twice.

I'm sure it's just a matter of time before someone somewhere reports getting sick in the first wave, then Pfizer, later Moderna, somehow J&J then survives Delta. 15 billion doses is a LOT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back