Coronavirus: What questions do you have?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good news @Peartree

Update:
https://apnews.com/article/coronavi...ter-shot-fda-2de19cdff021ad11b95c6b67fd5d8617
This one was a huge surprise not supported by evidence. I would still get it and will since I am in a high-risk population.

On the COVID operations:
It is slowing down. I think the worst of the delta is over. We are starting to make small inroads into immunizations. Less than 1 percent is refusing immunizations on average (I am not walking military). I want to say this is the last spike, but only the maker knows that piece fo info.

With the Moderna booster becoming widely available, I'm wondering whether I should plan to get one. I'm 34 and have no comorbidities that I am aware of. I've only heard that old and high-risk people should get it, but I'm not sure if that's just because we need to let them get it first or because people like me actually don't need it. Six months for me will be mid-November.

With the Moderna booster becoming widely available, I'm wondering whether I should plan to get one. I'm 34 and have no comorbidities that I am aware of. I've only heard that old and high-risk people should get it, but I'm not sure if that's just because we need to let them get it first or because people like me actually don't need it. Six months for me will be mid-November.
Six months for me will be late November or early December. I'm in my mid 50's but my wife is immune suppressed, has just come home from two and a half weeks of hospitalization (for Covid) and will be recovering for months. If there's a way to get the booster, I'm going to get it. In her current state, I don't know that she'd survive a second round. I'll gladly do what I can to protect her.

I'm 50+ and BMI around 33. I qualify for the booster as of this weekend and expect to get it within the first week of my eligibility. The only question for me is doni get a Pfizer boost to match my prior shots or do I opt for Moderna presuming that becomes an option? Personally I doubt it makes much difference and I'm not going to sweat it.

I'm 50+ and BMI around 33. I qualify for the booster as of this weekend and expect to get it within the first week of my eligibility. The only question for me is doni get a Pfizer boost to match my prior shots or do I opt for Moderna presuming that becomes an option? Personally I doubt it makes much difference and I'm not going to sweat it.

The FDA will reportedly approve mixing vaccines this week to improve compliance and options.

I got the Pfizer booster a week ago, and got a flu shot in the other arm at the same time. I had two sore shoulders for a day and one lingered into the second day, but was not knocked down like I was with the second dose. One datum, of a sort....

I am scheduled for my Booster this coming Monday. I am rolling the dice for a day off work.
Maybe I am the exception that proves the rule, but I had a rough systemic reaction from the Pfizer booster (others had it same day with no problems.). I also got my flu shot in the other arm the same day. In any case that night and the next morning were pretty miserable.

Maybe I am the exception that proves the rule, but I had a rough systemic reaction from the Pfizer booster (others had it same day with no problems.). I also got my flu shot in the other arm the same day. In any case that night and the next morning were pretty miserable.

Fairly common but usually less traumatic that an intubation.

Chuck, what are the thoughts on folks that got the J&J, AND had the Covid getting boosted? (apologies if it's been discussed prior)

Hi Chuck, I've been checking this thread on and off for a while, certainly appreciate all the help you've provided. I finally have a few basic questions, apologies if they are repeats but I hope you can understand given the size of the thread.

I've been participating in voluntary twice-weekly at-home/mail-in testing (Quest) offered by my company for a few months now, and my test sample from Monday tested positive for the first time (Monday and Thursday samples from last week were negative). I started to show symptoms late Saturday, but the progression of symptoms has been exactly like every cold I can remember, first day just sore throat, second day sniffles and coughing/irritated throat, third & fourth day congestion and only light throat irritation/coughing. I have been without taste & smell the past 2 days, though honestly that's happened to me before with colds before when I've been this stuffed-up, so nothing seemed unusual about this, I continued to test as normal but fully expected it would come up negative, so I was quite surprised to get the news this morning.

My understanding is that the test confidence levels are pretty high for a positive result (i.e. it found what it's looking for), where confidence isn't as high in a negative result (many reasons why it could fail to detect what it's looking for). Yet I've heard cases of "I tested positive, but re-tested and it was negative so everything's fine", but I don't think it really works that way?? Is there any chance that a regular cold (or perhaps flu) could lead to a positive result? The portal website that gave me the positive result suggested I shouldn't test again for 90 days, which seemed like a pretty bizarre statement to me.

Realizing the negative caveat I just mentioned, between the two negative results last week and the onset of first symptom late Saturday, there's no real way of knowing when I might have picked this up, is there? Unfortunately if there was a week this was going to happen I'm not surprised it's this past week, normally it's just home (I live alone) and at the office (where I have my own office and everybody's good about masking), but this past week I was cross-country 5 days for a wedding and spending a few extra days with family in the area, plus the flights to get there and Lyfts to/from the airports, a day and a half at home, then this past weekend I was at a 3-day launch, so mostly outdoors all day, but I did eat at a restaurant Friday night and stayed in a motel room Friday/Saturday night. Just wondering if getting a sore throat Saturday suggests I got it before Friday (or if it could show symptoms that fast), or if the negative sample from Thursday suggests I more likely got it after then (presumably there's a minimum time from exposure until the test can pick it up?). I did stay away from the office this week since I didn't feel well, but now I have to stay away for at least 10 days, joy.

I did get my 2 Pfizer doses back in April/May, though my parents were pushing me to lie and get the 3rd jab I really didn't have any justifiable reason to do so, I'm mid-40's, work in a regular office environment and no health conditions other than being overweight (5'8"/205lbs). So hoping this will subside like any cold has, I basically had all the same symptoms after returning from a cross-country trip over the 4th of July, but all my testing at that time came back negative, including a set of BinaxNOW tests I took on my own since some symptoms lasted for a while and I was getting concerned it might have been more than just a cold.

Chuck, how far out are we fromwhen booster testing started? Put another way, do we have significant data yet as to how long the booster provides protection against known variants? Do the boosters (Pfizer vs Moderna) significantly differ in their INITIAL effectiveness against current variants? Finally, any data in mixing boosters from initial series? If I have it right, initial jab was 3 millikumquats (I dont remember the units) of mRNA for Pfizer vs 10 for Modena, the booster is still 3 for Pfizer but 5 for Moderna, still higher than Pfizer.

It seems logical although by no means certain that the difference in effective duration of Pfizer vs Moderna is at least in part due to the difference in dose, Moderna initial series is over 3X Pfizer dose. Seems like a straightforward hypothesis to test. Has anybody bothered? or would that require a whole new EULA?

Hi Chuck, I've been checking this thread on and off for a while, certainly appreciate all the help you've provided. I finally have a few basic questions, apologies if they are repeats but I hope you can understand given the size of the thread.

I've been participating in voluntary twice-weekly at-home/mail-in testing (Quest) offered by my company for a few months now, and my test sample from Monday tested positive for the first time (Monday and Thursday samples from last week were negative). I started to show symptoms late Saturday, but the progression of symptoms has been exactly like every cold I can remember, first day just sore throat, second day sniffles and coughing/irritated throat, third & fourth day congestion and only light throat irritation/coughing. I have been without taste & smell the past 2 days, though honestly that's happened to me before with colds before when I've been this stuffed-up, so nothing seemed unusual about this, I continued to test as normal but fully expected it would come up negative, so I was quite surprised to get the news this morning.

My understanding is that the test confidence levels are pretty high for a positive result (i.e. it found what it's looking for), where confidence isn't as high in a negative result (many reasons why it could fail to detect what it's looking for). Yet I've heard cases of "I tested positive, but re-tested and it was negative so everything's fine", but I don't think it really works that way?? Is there any chance that a regular cold (or perhaps flu) could lead to a positive result? The portal website that gave me the positive result suggested I shouldn't test again for 90 days, which seemed like a pretty bizarre statement to me.

Realizing the negative caveat I just mentioned, between the two negative results last week and the onset of first symptom late Saturday, there's no real way of knowing when I might have picked this up, is there? Unfortunately if there was a week this was going to happen I'm not surprised it's this past week, normally it's just home (I live alone) and at the office (where I have my own office and everybody's good about masking), but this past week I was cross-country 5 days for a wedding and spending a few extra days with family in the area, plus the flights to get there and Lyfts to/from the airports, a day and a half at home, then this past weekend I was at a 3-day launch, so mostly outdoors all day, but I did eat at a restaurant Friday night and stayed in a motel room Friday/Saturday night. Just wondering if getting a sore throat Saturday suggests I got it before Friday (or if it could show symptoms that fast), or if the negative sample from Thursday suggests I more likely got it after then (presumably there's a minimum time from exposure until the test can pick it up?). I did stay away from the office this week since I didn't feel well, but now I have to stay away for at least 10 days, joy.

I did get my 2 Pfizer doses back in April/May, though my parents were pushing me to lie and get the 3rd jab I really didn't have any justifiable reason to do so, I'm mid-40's, work in a regular office environment and no health conditions other than being overweight (5'8"/205lbs). So hoping this will subside like any cold has, I basically had all the same symptoms after returning from a cross-country trip over the 4th of July, but all my testing at that time came back negative, including a set of BinaxNOW tests I took on my own since some symptoms lasted for a while and I was getting concerned it might have been more than just a cold.

You are right. A positive is mostly likely postive and a negative might be negative. The problem with a negative is that it is magnified by multiple inputs of false negative.

I'm glad that I can finally get a booster for my J&J vaccination.

One problem right now, for my pharmacist wife, is that corporate has been sending out emails and calls to customers for several days now, saying that they can now not only get boosters, but can mix and match, when a) there is no company protocol in place yet, and b) the store doesn't have more doses of vaccine, and c) the staffing to handle the surge in requests. :( Happy times for sure, not. Customers are really ticked off when they find out that she can't yet give them a booster.

Last edited:
I'm glad that I can finally get a booster for my J&J vaccination.

One problem right now, for my pharmacist wife, is that corporate has been sending out emails and calls to customers for several days now, saying that they can now not only get boosters, but can mix and match, when a) there is no company protocol in place yet, and b) the store doesn't have more doses of vaccine, and c) the staffing to handle the surge in requests. :( Happy times for sure, not. Customers are really ticked off when they find out that she can't yet give them a booster.

I have been recommending my family who recieved J&J that they choose one of the other 2.

I have been recommending my family who recieved J&J that they choose one of the other 2.

Since I had Moderna, and since Moderna, according to some reports, is outperforming others in defense against the Delta variant, is there any advantage (or disadvantage) to getting Pfizer as a booster?

FDA approved heterogonous boosters first, and last night, the CDC ACIP said it is okay, too. Since I got Pfizer the first time, I am looking into getting Moderna booster.

So… the FDA was considering lowering the recommended booster age to 40 based on data from Israel? Why did they go with 65? Supply concerns?

The local pharmacies are pretty lax in questions, basically if you are at least 6 months out from last dose you can a booster regardless. Booster recipients are outpacing initial doses. My wife just got her Pfizer booster, I’m getting my Moderna tomorrow. Decided not to play around, just get it ASAP.

The bottom line: you can get a the vaccine of your choice as a booster.

Dang it. I just went in for a booster on Monday. I asked for a J&J, but they wouldn't give me one because I already had Pfizer. "We don't experiment" are the exact words the airmen behind the desk said, which I thought was an interesting way of putting it. So I got a Pfizer booster instead.

My goal is to travel the world and get all the vaccines. Maybe I should make a show like Anthony Bourdain.

FDA approved heterogonous boosters first, and last night, the CDC ACIP said it is okay, too. Since I got Pfizer the first time, I am looking into getting Moderna booster.
I actually couldn't find a place with Moderna boosters where I live, so I am getting Pfizer tomorrow morning. I'd rather have it sooner.

Dang it. I just went in for a booster on Monday. I asked for a J&J, but they wouldn't give me one because I already had Pfizer. "We don't experiment" are the exact words the airmen behind the desk said, which I thought was an interesting way of putting it. So I got a Pfizer booster instead.

My goal is to travel the world and get all the vaccines. Maybe I should make a show like Anthony Bourdain.

I confirmed the DOD is awaiting their "orders" for immunization. The same s true with the Army. Army guidance is lagging.

Since I had Moderna, and since Moderna, according to some reports, is outperforming others in defense against the Delta variant, is there any advantage (or disadvantage) to getting Pfizer as a booster?

Not that I am tracking. The only advantage for Pfizer is availability. I will go get mine in the coming two weeks where ever it is available and with either Pfizer or Moderna. I will not wait for Moderna.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back