Coronavirus: What questions do you have?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Update: The numbers have been rising in the US for 3 weeks. Not sure of the significance. I sure am getting sick of the crap. Either way, please be careful over the next 3-5 Holidays.
We are, sadly, staying home from several of our traditional holiday activities including at least one (too) large family gathering. After nearly three weeks in the hospital and ten days in ICU, my wife (and by extension, me), understandably, is not inclined to take too many chances.

Update: The numbers have been rising in the US for 3 weeks. Not sure of the significance. I sure am getting sick of the crap. Either way, please be careful over the next 3-5 Holidays.

I noticed that too. I was really hopeful we were done with the big surges, but seeing the rise right before the holiday season gets started is spooky.

Coworker has just tested positive this morning. She is fully vaccinated.
One coworker has not been and he got sent home for 10 days.
One other and myself get to carry the load since we have had ours.
It makes no sense to me, since we are all exposed, and she is fully vaccinated as well.

It makes no sense to me, since we are all exposed, and she is fully vaccinated as well.
No good deed goes unpunished.

Not all immune systems are created equal.

Update: As we head into the holidays, we are beginning to see rising numbers. Only three states appear to be in control of COVID - Florida, Louisiana, and Alabama. The rest are red or headed toward being red.

The numbers have been increasing for 3-4 weeks now.

Please enjoy your Thanksgiving holiday but be careful. I will be staying on my farm like a hermit.

The vaccine is not 100 percent effective and although Covid is much more deadly than the ordinary flu, it is like the flu in that it just keeps coming back.

Last edited:
It's not bad until someone close gets it. My girlfriend's daughter, 50 in good health, got intubated today. Anti-vaxxer, anti-masker, in denial. Her daughter's class was sent home because 3 kids in class tested pos. No at home quarantine. The kid thinks it's her fault. She started to get sick, fever etc and refused to get tested. O2 went into the mid 70s. Lungs are completely full.
Chuck, they put her on vent early and gave her treatments. No invectimin. Her Chances ?

It's not bad until someone close gets it. My girlfriend's daughter, 50 in good health, got intubated today. Anti-vaxxer, anti-masker, in denial. Her daughter's class was sent home because 3 kids in class tested pos. No at home quarantine. The kid thinks it's her fault. She started to get sick, fever etc and refused to get tested. O2 went into the mid 70s. Lungs are completely full.
Chuck, they put her on vent early and gave her treatments. No invectimin. Her Chances ?

Sorry to hear about your girlfriend's daughter. Her age is a positive. There are better drugs than Ivermectin. I would not give up hope because today her odds are still good for recover. I can't give her percentage with a heck of a lot more information, but like I said he age give her the edge to a positive recovery.

Had a rough day yesterday. Fever 103 with nausea and vomiting. Good news - not COVID. My Thanksgiving dinner might include bananas, rice, apples sauce, and toast. Just glad I will not have to avoid my family and that is something to be thankful for.

Sorry to hear about your girlfriend's daughter. Her age is a positive. There are better drugs than Ivermectin. I would not give up hope because today her odds are still good for recover. I can't give her percentage with a heck of a lot more information, but like I said he age give her the edge to a positive recovery.
Thanks, I remember in the past, 30% chance was the number. Today protocols has changed. She's on her belly today and they lowered her O2 intake. No comorbidites, normal wt for ht. No Thanksgiving for us today.

Last edited:
Thanks, I remember in the past, 30% chance was the number. Today protocols has changed. She's on her belly today and they lowered her O2 intake. No comorbidites, normal wt for ht. No Thanksgiving for us today.

It has improved. In our facilities, we have near 75% survival for tubed patients in the last wave.

Hmm.... a lot of noise today on the report of a new variant from South Africa, but with cases discovered in Israel and Hong Kong.

Locally, everyone seems to be enjoying a taste of pre-Covid life with very low case numbers and hospitalization.

Hope everyone has a safe Thanksgiving!

... and Israel and Belgium, per the news this morning. If it's bad, it's already gotten out. The question is, is it bad or is this hyped to sell papers/clicks? As one of the articles I read said, there have been a bunch of variants that looked bad on paper but didn't turn out to much. Delta, on the other hand...

So my question to Chuck: What would you look for (in the news, particularly) to separate signal from the noise and know if this is actually bad or not?

... and Israel and Belgium, per the news this morning. If it's bad, it's already gotten out. The question is, is it bad or is this hyped to sell papers/clicks? As one of the articles I read said, there have been a bunch of variants that looked bad on paper but didn't turn out to much. Delta, on the other hand...

So my question to Chuck: What would you look for (in the news, particularly) to separate signal from the noise and know if this is actually bad or not?

I am researching this now. The B.1.1.529 variant is scary but the scare is not based on any indication that it is more infectious or deadly at this time. I guess the bottom line is we do nto know. There are 20+ new mutations of the spike protein that may end being more infectious and resistant to vaccines. I am currently writing an expert opinion on the variant.

What other questions do you have?

I am researching this now. The B.1.1.529 variant is scary but the scare is not based on any indication that it is more infectious or deadly at this time. I guess the bottom line is we do nto know. There are 20+ new mutations of the spike protein that may end being more infectious and resistant to vaccines. I am currently writing an expert opinion on the variant.

What other questions do you have?
One question in the back of my mind, but you probably have already answered “...we don’t yet know...”, does this particular mutation have the potential to put us back to square one? Basically, no one is considered vaccinated or have any natural immunity in regards to this variant.

One question in the back of my mind, but you probably have already answered “...we don’t yet know...”, does this particular mutation have the potential to put us back to square one? Basically, no one is considered vaccinated or have any natural immunity in regards to this variant.
Yeah, this is where I’m going too. A variant with the infectiousness of delta plus making vaccines 50% effective instead of 90% would be a whole nasty mess.

Well, that is the fear. I think my big fear is a virus that is 10 times as infectious as delta and 10 times as deadly and resistant to vaccines. If that happens, I am buying a storm cellar and I am going to become a hermit. You gets will see me in a few months.

All jokes aside, I think this is unlikely. The good news is that we are 30 days or less from a EUA for the antivirals. I do not think we will be at ground zero, but we may be at ground 30-40% as a worst-case. Then again, time will tell.

Most of the articles quote an unusual constellation of 20-30 mutations within the spike protein. These mutations are similar to changes in the Lamda and Mu variants that made them more resistant to the vaccine but other mutations made those two variants less transmissible. The big fear is that these changes will enhance transmissibility while maintaining resistance. Time will tell.

I am prepping for a meeting to recommend pre and post-Xmas preparations.

Our hospitals are pretty full and Covid cases have spiked again over the past week to 10 days. Are these cases still mostly Delta?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back