Composite Warehouse leaving the hobby?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, if they actually stay out of the rocketry business, does that mean we are looking at a future TRF with no complaining-about-Curtis threads? Would it really even still be TRF at that point?

Nah, we’ll just have threads like “How many here remember Composite Warehouse” and “What’s the longest you ever waited to have a kit delivered”

"deleted post was quoted here"
I like your signature "The truth doesn't mind being questioned. A lie hates being challenged"

In the spirit of "The truth doesn't mind being questioned" would you consider me a shill simply because I ordered product from Curtis, received it, and posted an accurate representation of my experiences? I don't approve of what Curtis has done to others, I don't advertise for him, but I am a firm believe in representation of facts without bias. Calling someone a shill simply for sharing facts is disrespectful and uncalled for here.

Since truth does not mind being questioned, neither should facts.

Last edited by a moderator:
The longest I ever waited was 3 weeks. With all the bad posts no wonder he left the rocketry world. I hope people are happy
He left the rocketry world because it wasn't as profitable. Maybe he'll come crawling back under a new name when he shorts one of his commercial customers for 6 months.

The Bull Pup is a fave and I have had the 5" CW Bull Pup on my wish list for a while. I don't know of any other vendor with an HPR Bull Pup. Does anyone know of one?

Nah, we’ll just have threads like “How many here remember Composite Warehouse” and “What’s the longest you ever waited to have a kit delivered”
ordered in 2019, still have not gotten all the parts.
And Justin, pretty sure none of the rest of us think that. At least, not me:)

OK, my experiences...

Several RW orders, never any issues. There were a few delays with popular items, but nothing that I would consider excessive (over a month or so).

One CW order, for one of their specials. I ordered early, and got it in a week.

Those were both some time ago, so maybe he's bitten off more than he can chew with his commericial business. It's always tempting to not communicate rather than having to give a customer bad news, but in the end it's better to let your customer know what's going on, and if it doesn't look like you're going to be able to ship your product then you owe them the option of a refund. You'd be surprised how many people will let you sit on their money if you're honest and you communicate... and keep reminding them that it's their money and you'll be happy to give it back to them if they desire.

The Bull Pup is a fave and I have had the 5" CW Bull Pup on my wish list for a while. I don't know of any other vendor with an HPR Bull Pup. Does anyone know of one?
Loc (PML)

Buy an extra NC to make the tail and it’s not hard to make your own semi-scratch kit

To bring in a quote from AA: "God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, The courage to change the things I can, And the wisdom to know the difference. "

Years ago, several vendors swindled me for some cash. I got angry and posted and kept posting. The vending made me think I felt better. The fact is it just fed the anger. I say try to get your money back. If you can't, let it go. You will be a healthier person.

Well you can call me any name you want, I don't really care. I have been called them all, Heck I was even called Curtis's brother and his mother in another Curtis bashing thread. So what I think I'm going to do now is start that Composite Warehouse HV Arcus kit I have sitting around and forget about these threads. Peace out !

A few years ago a friend told me about CW and the great prices. I gave him the back history of Curtis, but also thought that the "pay when ready to ship" was a good policy to help prevent troubles...I was wrong.

I'd like to think that Curtis tried to be on the up and up on this last try, but being a Business major, I think these did him in...
  • I personally think he made prices too low. I mean some were ridiculously low. Maybe just a bit lower like 20% (vs. 50%) would've been a better business model.
  • I think the Black Friday sales with those super low prices created a ton of orders that gave him the cash needed to buy materials... until inflation and shortages drove the materials prices waaay up. I recall the inflation and shortages happening and thinking he was in a LOT of trouble given his "take orders now, buy materials, deliver later" model.
  • I never expected orders to be marked "ready to ship", receive payment and then not ship (from what others reported).
So I got a bunch of great deals and even promoted the Pink Lady back when it was $99, but it almost sounds like a pyramid happened here (not saying that's what it was nor am I saying it was purposeful).

Last edited:
I ordered a Nike smoke through a dealer and it came promptly and is high quality. Performance hobbies, Ken will take care of you. I never ordered with CW just because of all the horror stories, but I've seen the final product and it's definitely high quality, so my opinion is get it through Ken, and bonus you get to support another small business that actually shows up at launches! Win win.

• I personally think he made prices too low. I mean some were ridiculously low. Maybe just a bit lower like 20% (vs. 50%) would've been a better business model.
I had the same thought. If CW charged 20-50% more but delivered quickly or only took payment when kits/parts were actually ready, they would have done a lot better. My own experience with CW was "okay". I got everything I ordered but it took awhile most of the time and involved a lot of checking in. If they come back, I hope they charge what they need to in order to run a smooth business.

Back