Buyer beware - Composite Warehouse is taking money and not shipping (again)..... 11 months and counting

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately chargebacks are generally limited to 2 or 3 months, which doesn't help the people here.

From what @mtnmanak said, it sounds like while the rocketry part of the business might be waning, the commercial sales are waxing.

Anything that takes more than 45 days from order to arrival, purchased from anyone, anywhere on the planet earth, did not exist to be sold. I buy from China, the Ukraine, etc. Never takes more than 30 days. If it takes longer you are being screwed. To wait a year on someone to ship parts (unless they are for a special order nuclear submarine) the buyer is then somewhat responsible. Know when you are getting screwed & get a credit from PayPal or Credit Card.

Eh, I've made preorders from a variety of vendors, rocketry and otherwise, and generally not had a problem. I agree that if it doesn't come in a month or so it definitely didn't exist when you ordered it.

Maybe CW is like Kickstarter? When it delivers it's late but often a good deal, but sometimes you just never get anything.

So, after its all said and done, I guess it does sound like I will end up just moving along, which is lame for me to do. If there is some group action, I will provide my dates and attempts at correspondence, though.

Sandy.
That is an example of why this problem continues. It reminds me of RMR and RP and some of the comments directed at me when I would prolificaly call out JI on his issues. Some of those same folks are now on this forum--(ring any bells?).

I ordered LAST NOVEMBER. I've received two fake USPS labels when I call or email and complain.

Fake USPS #1 from June - 9405511108296156858596
Fake USPS #2 from last month - 9405511108296750325517

For the larger order, I even used the "order now, pay when shipped" since this vendor has a history of taking money and not delivering anything when he was selling under a different name. I received a note in March that it was ready to be shipped, so I paid ($759.97) and... nothing. I had to push to even get the fake USPS label created.

At this point, he has collected over $1000 from me and shipped nothing.

I've never reverted to public humiliation as a model to solve problems like this, but at this point, I'd hate to see anyone else duped by Composite Warehouse since it seems they (he) is back to his old ways.

File a complaint with USPS. They don't take kindly to using mail to perpetrate alleged fraud.

Also, this thread shows why you need to be very careful with whom you engage in "prepay, it ships in a few months" orders.

Contact your credit card company. While you may be outside the chargeback window, sufficient complaints against the same vendor do add up, and the banks will take that into consideration.

Anything that takes more than 45 days from order to arrival, purchased from anyone, anywhere on the planet earth, did not exist to be sold. I buy from China, the Ukraine, etc. Never takes more than 30 days. If it takes longer you are being screwed. To wait a year on someone to ship parts (unless they are for a special order nuclear submarine) the buyer is then somewhat responsible. Know when you are getting screwed & get a credit from PayPal or Credit Card.
I am in no way defending CT or CW .
Cesaroni is quoting a 4 month lead time right now, this summer AT was 12 weeks and CTI was 6 months .

Cesaroni is quoting a 4 month lead time right now, this summer AT was 12 weeks and CTI was 6 months .
If we call you and ask status, you will at least respond. We might not like the answer, but that is the risk of items that are long lead time. You are up front and transparent. Others are not.

Yep, I may be wrong having only bought motors from you at RG launches, but you don't require payment up front on orders with known manufacturers built in delays, without letting the purchaser know, do you? In fact, I doubt you do, as I recently received an email generated from your web site, indicating the lead time delay information from AT. Doing that in advance makes you one of the good guys, right up-front...

Last edited:
Yep, I may be wrong, having only bought motors from you at RG launches, but you don't require payment up front on orders with known manufacturers built in delays, without letting the purchaser know, do you?
No, Lead times are stated upfront if there is one.
Guys I want to stay out of this please .
Thank you
Tim

Any vendor that is upfront about lead times and communicates is a vendor I'll give a chance. There are externalities that impact such things that are out of their control. A vendor that is known to lie and not communicate is one that I'll write off.

I have 2 kits from CT that were purchased from Ken at Performance Hobbies. I only ordered those because Ken had them in stock. Regardless of what company he is selling under, I'll never order from CT directly. I have lost all trust in him.

I order phenolic liners for my motors. They are made to order and the lead time is currently 10 weeks.

I'm not inclined to just move along in general, but I also don't see much point in losing sleep over the small amount of money I'm out. That's probably not the right attitude for the greater good, but I know threads like this often get shut down and I rarely get involved.

In my specific case, I bought 2 of the 3829 rockets on the Black Friday sale so a buddy of mine and I could build them over the Christmas break and drag race them often. I eventually got one of the two kits and asked when I would get the second one. Crickets each time I emailed. I have not made a phone call, as I have gotten pretty aggravated and might not be an ideal phone conversation and I don't like that.

I think I'm going to send a letter via snail mail to their mailing address and give up after that. There's always the chance they didn't get my emails due to spam filters and while that is a cheesy cop-out, it is possible.

If I get no feedback from them after that, I'm not sure if I'm going to try to sell the rocket I did get or whether I'll just make a video of me bashing it up. At this point, I really don't want to build the rocket unless its twin actually shows up.

I have 2 RW kits, one partially built and one ready to build and part of me wants to just get rid of those too. Kind-of a cut off your nose to spite your face situation, as they are absolutely great kits, but the recent issue makes me generally frown when I see the 3829 box instead of smile. That's not ideal.

So, after its all said and done, I guess it does sound like I will end up just moving along, which is lame for me to do. If there is some group action, I will provide my dates and attempts at correspondence, though.

Sandy.

Worse, order (2) kits from Tim, and then film a video of you unboxing both kits literally a week after you ordered them, and then bash the Curtis kit.

Midwest Power is this weekend so Tim might take a little longer to fulfill an order, but you will absolutely get it in short order and he has everything in stock. Enough of us are at his shop each month and its always bursting with product on rotation. UPS is always dropping off FG, propellant, chutes and streamers from Preston, etc, and Jackie is always bringing down more totes of freshly sewn chutes and nomex.

I have also heard great things out of Mac Performance so they are also a nice option with great kits and fair prices.

Curtis' stuff is very high quality, but so is everyone else's, and you can actually GET theirs.

I have no reason to doubt you but I know for a fact Ken has had charge backs because of this vendor. Ken will no longer charge the customer until he has product on hand.

That 4" 3:1 N/C I bought a few months ago from Ken went smoothly. Though Ken would not take the order until he called Curtis and was guaranteed he had it in-hand. Though, he did not have the aluminum tip.......which I got very uneasy about as I had then paid and then found out about the missing tip and that the cone was coming from Curtis directly. Though 2 days later I got a ship notification from Kenny and a few days later the N/C showed up. Beautiful N/C, complete the aluminum tip, coupler, and stepped bulk plates, and for a great price. I just wish he could get himself straightened out and change his lack of ability to respect his customers and their hard earned money.

I feel that I was lucky and that also I had placed the order with Ken and he seems to police his orders to help assure his name is not tarnished. This aligns completely with what you said above, Jim.

They (CTI and AT) were upfront about it, and you have always been up front about it to all of us when passing along that information.

CTI and AT also ALWAYS deliver.

When you were having issues getting high temp cones for a bit, you were always in contact with your customers and people on the forum.

You, and many others, are transparent with us. Even when the news is not good, you are transparent and take your lumps, if they come at all.

Cris from Eggfinder, MARSA, Adrian at Featherweight. They got HAMMERED with delivery times and lead time extensions on parts, to the point where some had to entirely redesign product and write software. They were always posting about the current status, lead times, and being honest. Cris on his website, at the very top, tells perspective customers what the current state of the union is, and blatantly tells you "DO NOT ORDER XYZ because it ain't coming." That hardcore honesty goes a long way, especially in our little hobby.

I just wish CTI would be a little forthcoming about what is going on with their stuff as it seems there are little to no new motors coming out to sell in 75mm and 98mm and no updates on what is going on.

Last edited:
I myself have only ever placed one order from him, and when it didn't show up, I called him. Took some follow-up calls and and a couple months or so to be sure, but I did get my order...

If you have not already, call the fellow.

In any case, yes, I agree. ALWAYS use PP or a CC!

Best of Luck!

I myself have only ever placed one order from him, and when it didn't show up, I called him. Took some follow-up calls and and a couple months or so to be sure, but I did get my order...

Best of Luck!
Calling him rarely works, you got lucky. The individual at the heart of this situation has a LONG history of bad behavior whether it be RW, CW, or another of his companies "rebrandings" or incarnation.

Guys and Gals,

I had a long conversation with Mr. Turner. I emailed him, and it went to spam. He is willing to refund anyone who paid for a rocket and is not willing to wait. According to him, there are only five customers for who he still owes products. Do not shoot the messenger. If you do not have his phone number, I will provide it to you by PM.

Unfortunately chargebacks are generally limited to 2 or 3 months, which doesn't help the people here.

CC charge-back policies vary by bank, but it never hurts to call yours and verify.
If you travel internationally, much or little, resorting to chargebacks on fraudulent transactions becomes a fact of life. Nothing wrong with using that tool.

Same here.
I placed my order during last Thanksgiving sale, selecting "bill me when ready to ship" option.
I got prompted to pay in May.
The item was shipped, and I received it in June.

If it wasn't coming by month 2 after transmitting the payment, the CC charge was going to enter the dispute process.
As it would with any other online vendor.
There was no need for that course of action.

Indeed.

The first thing a CC company will ask you when you open a dispute will be: when was the last time you've communicated with the vendor, and how.
Do that.
Document your communication flow (email works great for this).
Then you are fully protected.

HTH,
a

According to him, there are only five customers for who he still owes products.
From a quick review of the 4 or 5 most recent threads on this, I come up with more than 5, and at least 3 claim to have un-fulfilled tracking numbers.

And a look at the (deleted today) 2 threads on the CW FB page had probably 3x that many folks all asking where their stuff was, most of them making the same claim: unfulfilled tracking numbers that were months old!

Caveat Emptor

This has been happening for DECADES…..

After this time calms down he will fill some orders appropriately for a while then people will vouch for him AGAIN and say that the bad stuff is all in the past or the “old Curtis” etc etc…

This is the cycle, his crap should be banned from here and the Tripoli/NAR Facebook pages.

From a quick review of the 4 or 5 most recent threads on this, I come up with more than 5, and at least 3 claim to have un-fulfilled tracking numbers.

And a look at the (deleted today) 2 threads on the CW FB page had probably 3x that many folks all asking where their stuff was, most of them making the same claim: unfulfilled tracking numbers that were months old!

Caveat Emptor
My question has always been how many paid and did not get a refund. I am not defending, but inquiring minds need to know.

Guys, I have given you an avenue to get your money back. If you complain about it, take a refund. I have no means to make it happen, but there is an avenue - take it.

I am sorry if some may have interpreted me as helping Curtis. I am not. I am only trying to help you.

I would avoid ordering from him if you had a bad experience and move on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back