Comanche 3 stage rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, the residue from the igniter and the black powder in the engine are completely combusted, leaving no nitrogen compounds, which is what scanners at the airport and borders look for.

No worries.
Thank you for that info!
A b8-4 is low power, or LPR. e to g are mid power, h and up are high power.
great so that will work at the 60 acres! 😊

Hello all! New to rockets and just purchased the Comanche rocket. I could any pointers, tips advice!
Some of my questions
Do I need to make a stand for it.
How is it with not causing fire on the grass.
Will I lose it after its taken off.
🤗
Hi, Susan !

Welcome to Rocketry !

When you said "stand", did you mean a "display stand" or a "launch stand" (Launch Pad with a Launch Rod) ?

If you meant a "launch stand" the answer is a definite "YES" . . .

All model rockets, from the tiniest Micro-Maxx powered rockets, all the way up to huge High-Power rockets MUST have a Launch Pad, with a means to control the rocket and keep it vertical, until it has reached sufficient speed for the fins to keep it pointed in the right direction !

Failure to do that can result in the rocket doing some dangerous things . . . Buy an Estes launch pad, for your first rockets . . . This item will provide BOTH a Launch Pad & a Launch Controller ( to ignite your rocket motors ) . . . https://www.amazon.com/Estes-2222-Launch-Porta-Pad-Controller/dp/B075V79LKX

As your Rocket GET BIGGER, your Launch Pad will need to get BIGGER & STRONGER to match the increased loads placed on it !

Dave F

1688650929648.png

1688650663489.png

1688650726870.png

Susan,

Over the decades, I have seen MANY Comanche 3 rockets fail to stage, resulting in a crash that destroys the upper stage . . . Frankly, I have seen more of them fail, than succeed.

I think this may be due to the "tape together" method used to temporarily join the rocket motors together. My theory is that the "burn-through" of the lower engine causes the pressure to rise to the point where the motor above it is separated BEFORE ignition can occur. I never like the "tape together" method for multi-staging.

Decades ago, another model rocket company, called Centuri, developed a system called "Pass-Port" staging, which was highly reliable. Basically, the system incorporated a "port" that allowed some of the pressure to escape and allow extra time for the upper engine to ignite.

https://oldrocketplans.com/pubs/Centuri/TIR-123.pdf

Being a BT-50 model, with BT-20 engine mounts, it is possible to modify the Comanche 3 for this type of staging method.

1688652844037.png

Last edited:
Susan,

Over the decades, I have seen MANY Comanche 3 rockets fail to stage, resulting in a crash that destroys the upper stage . . . Frankly, I have seen more of them fail, than succeed.

I think this may be due to the "tape together" method used to temporarily join the rocket motors together. My theory is that the "burn-through" of the lower engine causes the pressure to rise to the point where the motor above it is separated BEFORE ignition can occur. I never like the "tape together" method for multi-staging.

Decades ago, another model rocket company, called Centuri, developed a system called "Pass-Port" staging, which was highly reliable. Basically, the system incorporated a "port" that allowed some of the pressure to escape and allow extra time for the upper engine to ignite.

https://oldrocketplans.com/pubs/Centuri/TIR-123.pdf

Being a BT-50 model, with BT-20 engine mounts, it is possible to modify the Comanche 3 for this type of staging method.

View attachment 590629
Interesting. I can’t say I’ve seen that before.

For what it’s worth, I’ve had only a handful of failures with tape staging. The trick is to make a strong tape joint and not worry about separation. The heat and pressure are intense, far too much so for any cellophane tape to contain well enough to interfere with staging. Going to town on the joint is safer than being conservative with it.

To a point, of course. The stack still needs to fit together.

Hi, Susan !

Welcome to Rocketry !

When you said "stand", did you mean a "display stand" or a "launch stand" (Launch Pad with a Launch Rod) ?

If you meant a "launch stand" the answer is a definite "YES" . . .

All model rockets, from the tiniest Micro-Maxx powered rockets, all the way up to huge High-Power rockets MUST have a Launch Pad, with a means to control the rocket and keep it vertical, until it has reached sufficient speed for the fins to keep it pointed in the right direction !

Failure to do that can result in the rocket doing some dangerous things . . . Buy an Estes launch pad, for your first rockets . . . This item will provide BOTH a Launch Pad & a Launch Controller ( to ignite your rocket motors ) . . . https://www.amazon.com/Estes-2222-Launch-Porta-Pad-Controller/dp/B075V79LKX

As your Rocket GET BIGGER, your Launch Pad will need to get BIGGER & STRONGER to match the increased loads placed on it !

Dave F

View attachment 590625

View attachment 590622

View attachment 590623
Hi so I’m not going to continue with the Comanche at this point but I did buy the launchpad and 2 rockets este Rascle and hijink.
I’m wondering if I’m able to become a member of the Washington rocket group even though I live in Canada?

Interesting. I can’t say I’ve seen that before.

For what it’s worth, I’ve had only a handful of failures with tape staging. The trick is to make a strong tape joint and not worry about separation. The heat and pressure are intense, far too much so for any cellophane tape to contain well enough to interfere with staging. Going to town on the joint is safer than being conservative with it.

To a point, of course. The stack still needs to fit together.
Thank you for all that info! I’m at this point putting the Comanche on the shelf and starting at the beginning stage with the este launchpad with2 rockets ( rascal and hijinks ) 🤗

Thank you for all that info! I’m at this point putting the Comanche on the shelf and starting at the beginning stage with the este launchpad with2 rockets ( rascal and hijinks ) 🤗
I thought so. Forum threads tend to drift though, it’s just the nature of the beast. What can I say? We love rockets.

Hi so I’m not going to continue with the Comanche at this point but I did buy the launchpad and 2 rockets este Rascle and hijink.
I’m wondering if I’m able to become a member of the Washington rocket group even though I live in Canada?
Or you could build the Comanche 3 and just fly the upper stage by itself, at first.

Why do so many Comanche 3's fail? Newbies buy them and skip the Youngling and Padawan phases an go straight to Sith Lord. :)

Feel the Force between the stages and you can fly TAPELESS!

Only tape failing I have ever had was once I did not have any cellophane tape with me. I used masking tape and bingo failure. I have been hooked on the Mongooses and lose many for decades with their quick assembly in less then an hour.

Dave, they used to have another name I think when they used Red Fin cans in the late 70's early 80's?

Only tape failing I have ever had was once I did not have any cellophane tape with me. I used masking tape and bingo failure. I have been hooked on the Mongooses and lose many for decades with their quick assembly in less then an hour.

Dave, they used to have another name I think when they used Red Fin cans in the late 70's early 80's?
The "Proton Torpedo" had red ones, I think ( they might have been black and required painting ) . . . The Kadet's were blue. Later, the "Sky Writer" used a white version of that fin can.

No Painting, no fin gluing with pre-made fin cans, put's together in an hour or less. [I can do about 20mins]

No Tears if you loose it: https://estesrockets.com/products/mongoose

I could get them for about $12 at hobby lobby in the store a few years back.
Art, I too have loved and lost... Many... Mongooses. Mongeese. Mongesii. Oh screw it.

Yeah, build quick, C6-0 to C6-7... Never had a staging failure using cellophane tape. So excellent.

Hey btw does anyone need a dozen booster stages?

Question; are there certain bylaws about launching rockets? We’re in British Columbia and I was thinking of going to a football field.
You could always try here assuming you live within driving distance of Aldergrove. https://www.lyndenflyingclub.org/

Swing by Hobby Lobby in Bellingham for great rocket prices. Buy the cheap motors and launch them at the field.

You could always try here assuming you live within driving distance of Aldergrove. https://www.lyndenflyingclub.org/

Swing by Hobby Lobby in Bellingham for great rocket prices. Buy the cheap motors and launch them at the field.

it’s worth a try! Thank you. 😊

it’s worth a try! Thank you. 😊
They used to have model rocket launches but not sure. At the least, you can call and ask them where. Here’s another one nearby. It’s good to see others and what equipment they’re using. Remember, If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

http://www.bellairrcflyers.com/

There are gps trackers available, so the chance of losing a rocket is proportional to how much you care, in dollars, lol.
So true. I got into Ham Radio and APRS a long time ago. Invested in Beeline GPS trackers and never regretted it. The "no license required" 900 Mhz stuff is ABSOLUTELY great for sport fliers. Go to the last known position when the rocket was still up in the air under main chute or drogue and one will find it and get it back. Shoot, if the GPS receiver antenna is facing up in the air on the ground, one might get the final position where the rocket lays as they get closer to it.
The deal with any kind of tracking, Rf with directional Yagi antennas and receiver attenuators or GPS tracking is the "ground footprint" is way the heck so much "wider" and the chance of finding one's rocket is much greater.
With totally out of sight flights in the appropriate venue, Rf tracking of some kind is almost mandatory if one wants to get a rocket back after a high flight into the "ether". I saw that way before I even got an L1 rating and it encouraged me to study to get into Ham Radio. Learned about RDF as some rocket fliers were using the pricey Walston units back in the day. GPS tracking came out and I got hooked on that. Nothing like tracking a rocket in flight on a map on a cell phone or laptop.

Back