Comanche 3 stage rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question; are there certain bylaws about launching rockets? We’re in British Columbia and I was thinking of going to a football field.
That should be fine for the sustainer (upper stage) going on a Type A or B motor. Maybe a C motor on a calm day. Just be sure to get the approval of the property owner or manager. Send me a DM if they refuse at first, sometimes you need to really go to bat for yourself.

I am not personally familiar with the Canadian regulations related to rocketry. You may want to reach out a CAR-affiliated club (link) or a Tripoli prefecture (link, looks like the closest one is all the way in Alberta) to get you straight on the regs in your jurisdiction. They may also be able to provide you with some general best practices and technical support.

One of the most critical skills you’ll develop is what we call “flying the field”. Being mindful of your rocket’s performance potential and adjusting your flight prep to match. The Comanche-3 comes with a streamer instead of a parachute, which will free up some recovery room. You can also point the launcher a few degrees into the wind, as shown. Just be careful that the angle is not so extreme that the thing can turn into a ballistic missile if the ejection charge fails.

IMG_9396.jpeg
Of course, the easiest thing is to just avoid overpowering your model.

That should be fine for the sustainer (upper stage) going on a Type A or B motor. Maybe a C motor on a calm day. Just be sure to get the approval of the property owner or manager. Send me a DM if they refuse at first, sometimes you need to really go to bat for yourself.

I am not personally familiar with the Canadian regulations related to rocketry. You may want to reach out a CAR-affiliated club (link) or a Tripoli prefecture (link, looks like the closest one is all the way in Alberta) to get you straight on the regs in your jurisdiction. They may also be able to provide you with some general best practices and technical support.

One of the most critical skills you’ll develop is what we call “flying the field”. Being mindful of your rocket’s performance potential and adjusting your flight prep to match. The Comanche-3 comes with a streamer instead of a parachute, which will free up some recovery room. You can also point the launcher a few degrees into the wind, as shown. Just be careful that the angle is not so extreme that the thing can turn into a ballistic missile if the ejection charge fails.

View attachment 590522
Of course, the easiest thing is to just avoid overpowering your model.
I’ve decided to go with a beginners ticket with launch pad a 2 rockets. Rascal & hijink. With the B6 motor. I’m still inquiring about all the rules.

I’ve decided to go with a beginners ticket with launch pad a 2 rockets. Rascal & hijink. With the B6 motor. I’m still inquiring about all the rules.
A better starter set, for sure.

Rough, optimistic calculations indicate 300ft for an A motor, 500ft for a B motor, and over 1000 ft for a C motor. You might want to start with delays on the short side. A8-3, B6-4, and C6-5 motors would be good fits.

You may want to “reef” the parachute for the first flight by taping the lines together partway along their length. This will prevent the chute from opening all the way and increase the rocket’s descent rate. You might break a fin if it lands on a hard surface but this is generally preferable to losing the rocket entirely, as such damage can be repaired in minutes with superglue.

Swapping in a streamer instead is also an option.

(Minor edits)

Last edited:
A better starter set, for sure.

Rough, optimistic calculations indicate 300ft for an A motor, 500ft for a B motor, and over 1000 ft for a C motor. You might want to start with delays on the short side. A8-3, B6-4, and C6-5 motors would be good fits.

You may want to “reef” the parachute for the first flight by taping the lines together partway along their length. This will prevent the cure from opening all the way and increase the rocket’s descent rate. You might break a fin if it lands on a hard surface but this is generally preferable to losing the rocket entirely, as such damage can be repaired in minutes with superglue.

Swapping in a streamer instead is also an option.
I will definitely look at that! Thank you

I have four or five Comanche kits in my build pile. Two of them is the older style OOP that has the older decals with the numbers 1 2 and 3 for each stage. I didn’t care for the newer style with the changed paint scheme or decals. I have built one in the 90s but never flew it. Like others said don’t go with the maximum motor for first flight or even after several. Just stay with the lowest ones so your almost guaranteed getting it back.

Unfortunately there aren’t any rocket clubs in BC 😭
How far are you from Vancouver iirc there is a club there, mostly LPR iirc, we have a couple (husband and wife) that come down to TriCities Rocketeers in Pasco WA to fly with us. Our big regional launch is coming up Labor Day Weekend 2023. If you are within a couple of hours of 60 Acres Park in the Redmond WA area that might also be an option for you, Washington Aerospace Club uses that as one of their fields.

I have four or five Comanche kits in my build pile. Two of them is the older style OOP that has the older decals with the numbers 1 2 and 3 for each stage. I didn’t care for the newer style with the changed paint scheme or decals. I have built one in the 90s but never flew it. Like others said don’t go with the maximum motor for first flight or even after several. Just stay with the lowest ones so your almost guaranteed getting it back.
Yes I will definitely be waiting to fly it! Found a beginner rocket which I’ll try. Prob going to have to wait till fall now cause of all the dry weather. 😔
How far are you from Vancouver iirc there is a club there, mostly LPR iirc, we have a couple (husband and wife) that come down to TriCities Rocketeers in Pasco WA to fly with us. Our big regional launch is coming up Labor Day Weekend 2023. If you are within a couple of hours of 60 Acres Park in the Redmond WA area that might also be an option for you, Washington Aerospace Club uses that as one of their fields.
Vancouver iirc? We’re about 2 1/2hrs away from Redmond wa. To go to that would I have to be a member? We live in chilliwack BC.
Thank you for your response

Vancouver iirc? We’re about 2 1/2hrs away from Redmond wa. To go to that would I have to be a member? We live in chilliwack BC.
It would be pretty unusual for a club to be members-only. Most allow a launch fee (to help maintain equipment) in lieu of a membership if you’re not sure you want to commit for a year.

My high-power clubs in California are about the same distance, and I will confirm that that they can be spectacles worth traveling to, especially if they’re hosting multi-day events. A big high-power rocket going over a mile high on a Type M motor (which generate hundreds of pounds of thrust) or larger is nothing to sneeze at, that’s for sure.

I’d suggest you make a weekend of it, if possible.

Last edited:
It would be pretty unusual for a club to be members-only. Most allow a launch fee (to help maintain equipment) in lieu of a membership if you’re not sure you want to commit for a year.

My high-power clubs in California are about the same distance, and I will confirm that that they can be spectacles worth traveling to, especially if they’re hosting multi-day events. A big high-power rocket going over a mile high on a Type M motor (which generate hundreds of pounds of thrust) or larger is nothing to sneeze at, that’s for sure.

I’d suggest you make a weekend of it, if possible.
Yes we’re already talking about going for the weekend event! Especially now that there really aren’t a lot of places to launch rockets!!

The event in Redmond Wa Sept long weekend( Labour Day) is it a problem taking a small rocket without engine across the border?
😊
Almost certainly not. It’s paper, balsa, breakable plastic, lightweight non-metal materials like that, with no pyrotechnics of any kind. A little adhesive to hold it together.

Yes I will definitely be waiting to fly it! Found a beginner rocket which I’ll try. Prob going to have to wait till fall now cause of all the dry weather. 😔

Any restrictions on taking the rocket across the Can/Us Border?

afaik, the folks who run the Redmond events will be at SodBlaster V, we have a 1000 acres of sod, getting the rocket back on a full power stack is usually pretty good.

afaik, the folks who run the Redmond events will be at SodBlaster V, we have a 1000 acres of sod, getting the rocket back on a full power stack is usually pretty
afaik, the folks who run the Redmond events will be at SodBlaster V, we have a 1000 acres of sod, getting the rocket back on a full power stack is usually pretty good.
I’ve never been to an event, I have lots of time to plan.

Is there a calendar of all the launches? Or should I just look on the club site? I’m very interested in going.
The link goes directly to the launch calendar, apparently.

EDIT: The last one listed is for April this year (3 months ago). You may want to sign up for the email list to get updates.

WAC does not currently have a HPR field so they afaik are limited to MPR and LPR at 60 Acres and maybe one other site in the Seattle area.

I was thinking with the igniter residue it could be a problem.
Hi, the residue from the igniter and the black powder in the engine are completely combusted, leaving no nitrogen compounds, which is what scanners at the airport and borders look for.

No worries.

The link goes directly to the launch calendar, apparently.

EDIT: The last one listed is for April this year (3 months ago). You may want to sign up for the email list to get updates.
Okay I’ll do that! Thank you so much
WAC does not currently have a HPR field so they afaik are limited to MPR and LPR at 60 Acres and maybe one other site in the Seattle area.
so a rocket with a B6-4 engine wouldn’t be able to be launched at the 60 acres event?

Back