Comanche 3 stage rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susan_christie

Reaction score
Hello all! New to rockets and just purchased the Comanche rocket. I could any pointers, tips advice!
Some of my questions
Do I need to make a stand for it.
How is it with not causing fire on the grass.
Will I lose it after its taken off.
🤗

Hello all! New to rockets and just purchased the Comanche rocket. I could any pointers, tips advice!
Some of my questions
Do I need to make a stand for it.
How is it with not causing fire on the grass.
🤗
Hey! Welcome aboard

Strictly speaking, you won’t need a stand. However, it will be a convenient place to put the rocket for painting and display. For these reasons I recommend getting or making one.

The NAR Model Rocket Safety Code (link) requires the use of a jet blast deflector to prevent exhaust gases from striking the ground. All commercially-produced launch pads will include one. A thin piece of steel or a ceramic tile is sufficient.

The Comanche-3 is well-known for disappearing if flown at full power as a three-stage stack. However, the upper stage is very easy to recover if flown by itself on a Type A motor. You can expect under 200 ft on this flight.

I recommend starting with low-altitude hops like this, then gradually adding adding power by upgrading to larger motors and adding stages. That way you can get an idea of how the rocket performs while also not taking a huge risk of losing it on the first flight.

Just remember to load specially marked booster motors (the time delay is marked as -0, as in A8-0 or C11-0) in the lower stages and standard or long-delay motors in the upper stage. The rocket’s packaging and instructions will have recommended motor types and combinations.

A full-power three-stage stack (D12-0, C6-0, and C6-7 motors going in quick succession) is expected to take the rocket above 2000 ft, which increases the difficulty of recovery considerably.

Aside from that, there isn’t much to it. Study, understand, and follow the directions closely. Use your best judgement and be safe. Show us the results when you’re done too. Spectacular success or spectacular failure, it doesn’t matter, we love it and maybe you’ll learn something.

Last edited:
By stand do you mean Launch Pad and Launch Controller, if so then yes you will need one OR build the rocket as instructed and find a local club near you that already has the equipment and lots of people who would be willing to help you out. The Comm3 really needs that many people to watch all the parts as they flutter down from the sky, and clubs usually have people willing to help you keep track of all the parts until they land. There is a good chance if you do not have a large open (very open and large) flying field its easy to lose the pieces on a slightly windy day.

Like a Ferrari for a first car, a loaded for bear Comanche 3 (1x D12 to 2xC6) is not a good first rocket. I have launched at least a dozen loaded flights at a club and never lost a piece do to non recovery. Always had an assigned crew to spot the brightly painted falling stages, always launched in very little to no wind. The second stage is by far the hardest to recover. Reflective streamer on sustainer helps. Reflecting bits on booster stages helps. Club members who know how to prep staged rockets helps. I have had stages mostly burned away do to prep errors. Although it is painful to admit, I did put a sustainer motor in backwards, not good.. Great rocket to satisfy the altitude junkie.

I did that once in my youth. Losing a rocket that way stung my pride a bit but at least nobody got hurt.
I really wanted the "Yes, as a matter of fact, I am a rocket scientist." T shirt. But standing there pulling a backward and unburned C6 7 out of the Comanche sustainer, I felt only the cone of shame descending upon me. :(

Last edited:
🤗

Probably. There's a 50% chance it will go in cruise missile mode and head toward a different zipcode. It happens to the best of us. Sometimes rockets decide they want to go on an adventure. You could try launching it one section at a time so you have some experience with it before it goes into the nasty neighbors backyard.

We never did find Mike's sustainer.

Hey! Welcome aboard

Strictly speaking, you won’t need a stand. However, it will be a convenient place to put the rocket for painting and display. For these reasons I recommend getting or making one.

The NAR Model Rocket Safety Code (link) requires the use of a jet blast deflector to prevent exhaust gases from striking the ground. All commercially-produced launch pads will include one. A thin piece of steel or a ceramic tile is sufficient.

The Comanche-3 is well-known for disappearing if flown at full power as a three-stage stack. However, the upper stage is very easy to recover if flown by itself on a Type A motor. You can expect under 200 ft on this flight.

I recommend starting with low-altitude hops like this, then gradually adding adding power by upgrading to larger motors and adding stages. That way you can get an idea of how the rocket performs while also not taking a huge risk of losing it on the first flight.

Just remember to load specially marked booster motors (the time delay is marked as -0, as in A8-0 or C11-0) in the lower stages and standard or long-delay motors in the upper stage. The rocket’s packaging and instructions will have recommended motor types and combinations.

A full-power three-stage stack (D12-0, C6-0, and C6-7 motors going in quick succession) is expected to take the rocket above 2000 ft, which increases the difficulty of recovery considerably.

Aside from that, there isn’t much to it. Study, understand, and follow the directions closely. Use your best judgement and be safe. Show us the results when you’re done too. Spectacular success or spectacular failure, it doesn’t matter, we love it and maybe you’ll learn something.
Okay I did find a YouTube video explaining the different power levels. I have 3 B6-4 is that a good level??
I don’t need it to go very high as it’s just for the kids to see and I want to find it after.
I’ve found the launch pad and stand so I’m going to order that.
Thank you so much

Probably. There's a 50% chance it will go in cruise missile mode and head toward a different zipcode. It happens to the best of us. Sometimes rockets decide they want to go on an adventure. You could try launching it one section at a time so you have some experience with it before it goes into the nasty neighbors backyard.

I think we will try only 1 section at a time.

Used the wrong first stage motor, you can tell by delay to second stage. Must use the RED LABLES or bust. Cruise missle caused by green lable motor with delay. :(

By stand do you mean Launch Pad and Launch Controller, if so then yes you will need one OR build the rocket as instructed and find a local club near you that already has the equipment and lots of people who would be willing to help you out. The Comm3 really needs that many people to watch all the parts as they flutter down from the sky, and clubs usually have people willing to help you keep track of all the parts until they land. There is a good chance if you do not have a large open (very open and large) flying field it’s easy to lose the pieces on a slightly windy day.
By stand do you mean Launch Pad and Launch Controller, if so then yes you will need one OR build the rocket as instructed and find a local club near you that already has the equipment and lots of people who would be willing to help you out. The Comm3 really needs that many people to watch all the parts as they flutter down from the sky, and clubs usually have people willing to help you keep track of all the parts until they land. There is a good chance if you do not have a large open (very open and large) flying field its easy to lose the pieces on a slightly windy day.
I have found the launch pad for this rocket. I’m going to order it and the wadding for the cone. I’m just learning all this now.. 🤗

Rocket science is hard and the Comanche 3 can be a harsh mistress. Lots to go wrong. Several methods on motor and stage retention-seperation.

Every old dude has his ancient Chinese secrets on how to fly the darn things successfuly. Some pull out the last roll of Scotch tape they had from 1969..."Why I used this tape as a kid and it's worked ever since!" Some use no tape at all.

Friction fitting required on the C 3 is more an art than science. Needs a 3/16 rod! NO ROD WHIP! Old dudes asking "Are ye loaded fer bear?" when holding your brand new C 3 in line to launch.

Oppsie, another C 3 just got rejected at the RSO table. Gotta go over to that guy and he will fix it. Yes go to a club on the first flight. Tell them this is your first time with a C 3. Usually there is someone with experience that can help. You will need a crew of homies or a possie like in the old West. Persons with best eyesight on Stage 2!

Then comes the time when a little devil appears on your shoulder and simply whispers "E12 0 to E12 0 to E12 8." Beware of the dark arts. Red lable to red lable to purple lable. NO green labels allowed!

Rocket science is hard and the Comanche 3 can be a harsh mistress. Lots to go wrong. Several methods on motor and stage retention-seperation.

Every old dude has his ancient Chinese secrets on how to fly the darn things successfuly. Some pull out the last roll of Scotch tape they had from 1969..."Why I used this tape as a kid and it's worked ever since!" Some use no tape at all.

Friction fitting required on the C 3 is more an art than science. Needs a 3/16 rod! NO ROD WHIP! Old dudes asking "Are ye loaded fer bear?" when holding your brand new C 3 in line to launch.

Oppsie, another C 3 just got rejected at the RSO table. Gotta go over to that guy and he will fix it. Yes go to a club on the first flight. Tell them this is your first time with a C 3. Usually there is someone with experience that can help. You will need a crew of homies or a possie like in the old West. Persons with best eyesight on Stage 2!

Then comes the time when a little devil appears on your shoulder and simply whispers "E12 0 to E12 0 to E12 8." Beware of the dark arts. Red lable to red lable to purple lable. NO green labels allowed!
Regarding the friction fit, I make the motors tight enough that I wonder how I’ll ever get them back out again.

Then they shrink and sometimes fall out of the boosters once they’ve burned and cooled off, and I laugh at myself for forgetting they do that.

Regarding the friction fit, I make the motors tight enough that I wonder how I’ll ever get them back out again.

Then they shrink and sometimes fall out of the boosters once they’ve burned and cooled off, and I laugh at myself for forgetting they do that.
And there is always the freezer in summer time!

Could you use the same motor for all stages? I have 3 B6-4. I don’t need it to go very high, 😊
No. Only the long top stage called the sustainer can have a delay. You can fly it alone on a green lable B6 4. So three seperate, low level flights on the long rocket with those 3 motors.

The smaller bits, called booster stages, can only use red lable motors with a 0 delay. They go under the sustainer. So you could fly a B6 0 in the booster to a B6 4 in the sustainer. Much higher flight!

Then it will get more complex when you discover you need a B6 6 in the sustainer (a longer delay, purple lable motor) Suddenly you will have taken your first steps into a larger world. You are now a Youngling and will learn the Jedi ways of model rocketry.

Then you will add the third bit. A booster that goes on the bottom with a mighty D12 0 red lable motor! A Padawan you will soon be if you pass the trials of a successful three stage flight. So exciting, so powerful and high, a real crowd pleaser when done right.
Keep your mind on what you are doing, where you are at! :)

Let me add a bit of high-level thought to this, on top of all the staging minutiae.

A three-stage rocket like the Comanche is pretty advanced, and as @Daddyisabar mentioned, not a likely choice for a first rocket. Chances for success with a 3-stage rocket with an *advanced* rocketeer are not really that good. Where by "success", I mean having the rocket go up and down safely, and actually recovering all the bits so you can fly again. You should have a decent level of understanding of various aspects of rocketry (especially motor designations) before trying something like that.

You can fly the rocket as a single-stage, with only one motor (a B6-4 will be fine), and that is a much safer route to get started, until you really understand what you're doing. When you've got the single-stage routine down, then you can try the second stage. Only fly the third stage when you really know what you're doing *and* are ready to lose stuff.

Finally: it is recommended to always take at least two rockets with you when you launch. Nothing leaves a sour taste like losing the first rocket on its first flight and needing to go home. Anything will do for the second rocket, including any of the beginner rockets from Estes. Just something that will fly. Be sure to bring appropriate motors for both.

Good luck and please keep asking questions here.

Let me add a bit of high-level thought to this, on top of all the staging minutiae.

A three-stage rocket like the Comanche is pretty advanced, and as @Daddyisabar mentioned, not a likely choice for a first rocket. Chances for success with a 3-stage rocket with an *advanced* rocketeer are not really that good. Where by "success", I mean having the rocket go up and down safely, and actually recovering all the bits so you can fly again. You should have a decent level of understanding of various aspects of rocketry (especially motor designations) before trying something like that.

You can fly the rocket as a single-stage, with only one motor (a B6-4 will be fine), and that is a much safer route to get started, until you really understand what you're doing. When you've got the single-stage routine down, then you can try the second stage. Only fly the third stage when you really know what you're doing *and* are ready to lose stuff.

Finally: it is recommended to always take at least two rockets with you when you launch. Nothing leaves a sour taste like losing the first rocket on its first flight and needing to go home. Anything will do for the second rocket, including any of the beginner rockets from Estes. Just something that will fly. Be sure to bring appropriate motors for both.

Good luck and please keep asking questions here.
Thank you! I will just start out with the single rocket.

On amazon there’s a set, rocket with launch pad I’m thinking of doing that so I would have the second rocket plus the launch pad.

What does it mean it needs 3/16 rod and no rod whip?
😊

I’m definitely going to start with just 1 section!
Thank you 😊

😊
Launch rods come in different sizes. Generally, larger/heavier rockets with more powerful motors require thicker rods, which will stay more rigid under the force of the rocket launching. If the rod flexes too much at launch, it can "whip" as the rocket is departing and impart some unwanted rotation on the rocket.

The standard "low power" launch rod is 1/8" thick, and that's what will come with most (all?) of the launch sets, or the Porta Pad II which is Estes basic low-powered launch pad. That is what they recommend for the Commanche, which is a bit dubious for this rocket. A 3/16" rod would be a better choice when launching in full 3-stage mode... but you're not going to go there for a while, so don't worry about it. Also, if the kit contains a 1/8" launch lug (I can't tell from the instructions) then you're not going to be able to use it with a 3/16" rod anyway.

So, initially, as a 1- or 2-stage rocket, I think you'll be OK with a 1/8" rod. 3-stage flights are dicey at best.

BTW, note that Estes rates this rocket as "Expert":
1688569698984.png

That's mainly because it's a 3-stage. 2-stage rockets are usually rated "Advanced". Make of this what you will. Flying just a single stage is the normal beginner track. Fortunately you can fly the Comanche whichever way you like, as long as you choose the correct motors.

Last tip for today: when you eventually get around to launching, put fresh, high-quality batteries in the launch controller. Don't take shortcuts there, seriously.

Just on the off-chance you haven’t looked into the motor codes yet:

The first letter indicates the total impulse range, which correlates strongly with altitude. Every time you advance a letter, you’re roughly doubling the total impulse delivered. For a typical single-stage rocket of this size and weight, an A motor will keep it low, a B motor will take it higher, a C motor will take it pretty high, and a D motor will take it REALLY high.

The first number indicates the average thrust in Newtons (a metric unit roughly equal to 1/4 pound), which correlates pretty well with the motor’s lifting capacity and max airspeed. In the old days there were B14s that would make a rocket really leap off the pad. A modern B6 will burn longer and deliver more gentle thrust, although a rocket strong and light enough to handle both motors would attain comparable altitude.

The second number (after the dash) indicates the delay time in seconds between burnout and the ejection charge that deploys the streamer. A B6-0 is exclusively for lower-stages or oddball rockets with non-traditional recovery systems. A B6-2 is good for heavy rockets, a B6-4 is good for lighter rockets, a B6-6 is good for lighter rockets still, or for upper stages.

😊

I’m definitely going to start with just 1 section!
Thank you 😊
A standard Estes lauch pad that comes with a ready to fly kit has only an 1/8 inch rod. That is too small for a mighty Comanche 3. To safely launch a C 3 you need a heaver and longer 3/16 inch rod that.is SOLD SEPERATELY.

Those who do not read the instructions can get in trouble using an 1/8" rod when they experience the dreaded ROD WHIP where the rod whips back and forth after the rocket leaves the pad. This is a result of the rocket is flying crooked from the start. Crooked flights on a powerful 3 stage rocket are very bad and can result in what is called a Land Snake.

Many terms to learn in model rocketry. Go to a club launch and you will not need a pad or rod. You will also learn the terminology, leaving the launch with a whole new vocabulary. "I lauched my loaded for bear Comanche 3 on the first starter utilizing Dog Barf and did not experience any rod whip or sky writing. Fixed a small zipper with some CA. The RSO was so pleased she said I should get a Level One with a small H reloadable and possibly electronic tracking and video."

Talking and thinking like a true rocket scientist/Jedi! So proud!

Launch rods come in different sizes. Generally, larger/heavier rockets with more powerful motors require thicker rods, which will stay more rigid under the force of the rocket launching. If the rod flexes too much at launch, it can "whip" as the rocket is departing and impart some unwanted rotation on the rocket.

The standard "low power" launch rod is 1/8" thick, and that's what will come with most (all?) of the launch sets, or the Porta Pad II which is Estes basic low-powered launch pad. That is what they recommend for the Commanche, which is a bit dubious for this rocket. A 3/16" rod would be a better choice when launching in full 3-stage mode... but you're not going to go there for a while, so don't worry about it. Also, if the kit contains a 1/8" launch lug (I can't tell from the instructions) then you're not going to be able to use it with a 3/16" rod anyway.

So, initially, as a 1- or 2-stage rocket, I think you'll be OK with a 1/8" rod. 3-stage flights are dicey at best.

View attachment 590473

That's mainly because it's a 3-stage. 2-stage rockets are usually rated "Advanced". Make of this what you will. Flying just a single stage is the normal beginner track. Fortunately you can fly the Comanche whichever way you like, as long as you choose the correct motors.

Last tip for today: when you eventually get around to launching, put fresh, high-quality batteries in the launch controller. Don't take shortcuts there, seriously.
The Comanche 3 kit comes standard with a 3/16" launch lug. Like the Mean Machine "It ain't fer children!"

A standard Estes lauch pad that comes with a ready to fly kit has only an 1/8 inch rod. That is too small for a mighty Comanche 3. To safely launch a C 3 you need a heaver and longer 3/16 inch rod that.is SOLD SEPERATELY.

Those who do not read the instructions can get in trouble using an 1/8" rod when they experience the dreaded ROD WHIP where the rod whips back and forth after the rocket leaves the pad. This is a result of the rocket is flying crooked from the start. Crooked flights on a powerful 3 stage rocket are very bad and can result in what is called a Land Snake.

Many terms to learn in model rocketry. Go to a club launch and you will not need a pad or rod. You will also learn the terminology, leaving the launch with a whole new vocabulary. "I lauched my loaded for bear Comanche 3 on the first starter utilizing Dog Barf and did not experience any rod whip or sky writing. Fixed a small zipper with some CA. The RSO was so pleased she said I should get a Level One with a small H reloadable and possibly electronic tracking and video."

I admit that “loaded for bear” is a new one for me.

@susan_christie , you’ll find that many of these terms are surprisingly descriptive and intuitive. And sometimes a little frightening.

The Comanche 3 kit comes standard with a 3/16" launch lug. Like the Mean Machine "It ain't fer children!"
Interesting, I couldn't find any mention of that on the product page. It says Porta-Pad II needed to fly, but not a 3/16" rod.

In any case: you can fly the rocket off a 1/8" rod as a single-stage or two-stage. But definitely a 3/16" rod if you ever try it as a 3-stage. Better to do that at a club launch were the field is larger, help is available, and more eyes will be available to track the various pieces.

@susan_christie , you’ll find that many of these terms are surprisingly descriptive and intuitive. And sometimes a little frightening.
Hang around with the Comanche 3 flyers and you will soon be computer simulating the variable Center of Mass relationship to variable Center of aerodynamic pressure on your advanced high power staged rocket. You must now include the tiltometer! Talk about frightening! I am blinded by Science!

Way beyond "loaded for bear." Making composite mods to squeeze out every inch of additional altitude. Don't bust the waiver on your Level 3 cert!

Going to space now with my upscale Comanche 3! :)

Interesting, I couldn't find any mention of that on the product page. It says Porta-Pad II needed to fly, but not a 3/16" rod.

In any case: you can fly the rocket off a 1/8" rod as a single-stage or two-stage. But definitely a 3/16" rod if you ever try it as a 3-stage. Better to do that at a club launch were the field is larger, help is available, and more eyes will be available to track the various pieces.
Maybe things have changed. My C 3 kits are old and came only with 3/16" lugs.
20230705_095731.jpg
20230705_095751.jpg
20230212_105527.jpg
You can fly a one stage off an 1/8". Flying a 2 stage off an 1/8" might have gotten a "stink eye" from my old RSO!

Unfortunately there aren’t any rocket clubs in BC 😭

Yes I’ve learned a lot so far! I’ve decided to go with a standard rocket with no separation and it comes with launch pad.

View attachment 590473

okay thank you for the battery tip!! 😊
I’ve found a beginners rocket set with launch pad so I will go with that.
Question; are there certain bylaws about launching rockets? We’re in British Columbia and I was thinking of going to a football field.

Latest posts

Back