Choosing GPS Module for Flight Computer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Altay

Reaction score
I'm working with my team for a rocketry competation in my country. The issue I have encountered is choosing best GPS module option for our rocket's flight computer. Most of GPS modules I saw can work up to 4 Gs. But our rocket will reach maximum of 6,27G. My questions are:

- I saw few GPS modules that can hold up to 4Gs. Like; GY-NEO6MV2, Quetcel L80. Can those GPS modules survive 6,27G? Or do we need to choose another GPS module?
- If we need another GPS module other than GY-NEO6MV2 and Quetcel L80, which GPS modules you suggest?

The GPS modules will survive more than 4G just fine, but they will not provide valid data while being operated above 4g. Good GPS systems will be able to get a good fix soon after that, bad ones may take a while. This is a software limitation of all civilian GPS systems I'm aware of. The companies could easily build systems that can handle more acceleration, but this would result in lower accuracy. Typical customers want accuracy but the they don't need systems that can handle more than 4g, so the companies don't offer that for consumer applications.

Reinhard

Back