Camden, SC: ROSCO Sport Launch: 13-14 August

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I realize you aren't trying to get too much info out there until anything is solidified, but are there any possible contenders at this point?

We are keeping it quiet. They are very large fields in SC/GA. We are trying to get one field and 1-2 backups.

We are keeping it quiet to avoid the onslaught of visitors and phonecalls turning off the land owners. Once we have a signed agreement, you will know more.

To all emailers: Supersod fields of all types and locations are not in discussion at this time. The corporation views this as a risk reduction and are no longer interested in rockets being flown.

Cool, thx for filling us in. You guys will find a great field. Can't wait to see what the future holds!

Last edited:
No update. Still in a hold pattern. Once we have a waiver, I will post an update.

Sadly, Freedom Launch is cancelled. We are making progress on a new launch site, but Freedom Launch will not occur.

Very sad... :(

I know you guys are busting arse to get a new field/waiver.

On the upside, though, since you're free, come on out to AirFest with us! Experience what it's like to just show up and fly again! No range setup, no LCO/RSO duties, no pad/launch controller maintenance, etc... :)

On the upside, though, since you're free, come on out to AirFest with us! Experience what it's like to just show up and fly again! No range setup, no LCO/RSO duties, no pad/launch controller maintenance, etc... :)

This!!!

Yeah,,,,,,,,,
Me too this...........

Teddy

I will see if I can get the leave.

Yep. Let's get together some time and talk.

Without a doubt Chris...
I'm not sure if you're aware,,
but I have Ex aspirations,,
Wildman Tim always has people around his shop helping him out..
I told Scott at Loki if I got to watch him and help him make motors he'd never be able to get me out of his shop... lol...
I think making a rocket motor is a super cool thing...
All of my High School years chemistry was my favorite class ( well that and math and science )...
I saw you posting pic's of a motor you were making the size of my freakin leg,,, except longer.... lol...
Man,, I can't wait to see that...lol..

Teddy

Without a doubt Chris...
I'm not sure if you're aware,,
but I have Ex aspirations,,
Wildman Tim always has people around his shop helping him out..
I told Scott at Loki if I got to watch him and help him make motors he'd never be able to get me out of his shop... lol...
I think making a rocket motor is a super cool thing...
All of my High School years chemistry was my favorite class ( well that and math and science )...
I saw you posting pic's of a motor you were making the size of my freakin leg,,, except longer.... lol...
Man,, I can't wait to see that...lol..

Teddy

Come by Friday and ill let you pick it up....

I was at NSL on Saturday and early Sunday, and had a great time talking to all of the NAR, TRA (and both!) members and watching some great projects fly.

This incident was very unfortunate, and we'll do everything we can to bring this situation to the best resolution we can, and get ROSCO and ICBM flying somewhere as soon as possible. Funny things can happen in our hobby, and we all know that and accept the risk, every time we launch a rocket. Al has been a model of responsibility throughout.

Meanwhile, we can probably learn from this: Given ongoing development around many of our sites, we might all benefit from a careful review of splash patterns given various wind directions and altitudes, and, if needed, develop a set of conservative operations procedures that determine constraints based on wind speed and direction, altitude, presence of dual deploy, and the sensitivity of the neighboring areas. The Apt Committee's Safety Study (https://www.nar.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/launchsafe.pdf) has a good example of this in the last appendix, when NHRC had to develop a pretty rigorous protocol after hitting a building at JSC, or lose their right to fly.

Excellent idea. Excellent data in this report.

I just read the snippet in Sport Rocketry and thus searched out this thread to get more details. Good luck, ROSCO and ICBM.

I fear that losing fields will continue to be an issue in the East (with or without incidents). In the last year, 2 excellent, 10,000+ ft waiver Midwest fields near me were closed due to jittery new landowners: Tripoli Indiana and Michigan Team 1. To the best of my knowledge, no harm was done at either of these locations. High altitude HPR is becoming less accessible.

New update: We are in the waiver process. No timeline, but atlas you know where we are. We are hoping to have an update soon.

Wow,, that's fantastic news Chuck...
You found a field ???
Good for you guy's...
I am so glad for you all..
Thank you for your hard work and diligence Chuck...
Your tenacity has paid off,,, lol...

Teddy

Just to burb the number of emails we have received. We have a field and are pending a waiver. I cannot reveal the location of the field.

Once we have an approved waiver and launch schedule, I will reveal the location of the field.

More to come.

WOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!! Can you shed any light on proximity to the O-berg sight?

Of course, if he says that, everyone will immediately hit Google Maps and start finding every field within that particular distance from Oburg :p

Back