Birds

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7FYGvq3.jpg

Redtail hawk in the back yard, pretty cool to watch her teaching her young to hunt the field out back. The mockingbird didn"t like her being there, but she didn"t seem to mind him.View attachment 608144
I've seen mockingbirds absolutely harass red-tailed hawks. Gotta think a few get eaten. Mostly the hawks ignore them.

Crows also will let you know when there's a hawk around.

Took a walk along Puget Sound today. Here’s a great blue heron and a sandpiper. I also saw a few diving ducks but no pics of them.

BACEBBC3-2363-4415-89DE-FB7D04905684.jpeg

CAAC0FB3-B9DF-4D0E-A16D-8C240304CF42.jpeg

Last edited:
I live with this bird. He is a Senegal Parrot and he knows about 15 - 20 short phrases. He uses them all contextually. When we're on our way out the door, he says "byyyeee." When we first see him in the morning, he says "good morning." When we return home he says "hi," sometimes very enthusiastically. When he wants to go to sleep he says "goodnight" until we turn out the lights. If he wants your attention, he says "come here." He can also make some pretty incredible noises of human flatulence. He does an amazing cat imitation as well. We let him fly around the living room. Yes, it's sometimes inconvenient, but he's a bird. We bought him from a rescue and we let his wing feathers grow out. His previous home must not have let him fly, because for the first year we had him, we realized that all of the strange things he was doing related to him teaching himself how to fly. He was very awkward at first, but now he zooms around, does laps, occasionally dive bombs us (which can be either hilarious or annoying), and seems happy with his mobility. Being a smaller bird, he hasn't really been a lot of work. He's also potty trained and only goes in one or two areas, which is easy to maintain (not all birds come potty trained, by the way). But bird poo isn't really that disgusting. It doesn't smell and it dries into a solid. He is a very messy eater and he likes to chew things, so his area has to be free of anything made of wood that we don't want destroyed. So, as with any pet, ups and downs. Overall, it's been a fascinating experience living with a bird.
Lupe_02.png

My elder cat showed up at the house one day with a sidekick, who was absolutely starving. You could count every rib. I really didn't want another cat, but my elder cat asked me to feed him, so we adopted him. He's not the smartest kitty, but he's a awesome companion. He helped me a lot after my stroke.

I have quite a few Anna’s that populate my yard. The deep freeze this last winter seems to have driven them all away for now. I’ve not seen any of them since that crummy week.
Spring I usually get several Rufus that will spend a week or two. The last two years I’ve had one male trust me enough he will light on my shoulder as I work around the yard.

Back