Apogee Zephyr Build/Level 1 Cert Project

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Ron, yes, she is my assistant on the camera. I can usually get her out to the field for maiden flights, but that’s about it.......... LOL
You are spot on about the lack of weather data. There is no cell service out there, which is unfortunate. But I can tell you without using scientific instruments, it was WINDY!!!!!!!!!! LOL
Something to think about, but I’m starting to look more closely at the humidity at the time of launch. I’m seeing significant increase in altitude as the humidity drops. Interesting to monitor that variable.
That little spike in the chart is interesting, but we’ve both seen some strange anomalies with the FS Mini.

AC, congrats to you as well! What a day we had yesterday! Kudos to you and your awesome looking X-yphyr!
Looking forward to future launches my friend!

What a day for dual L1 certification flights! Thanks for the Kudos as well. For those who followed your build series I can go on record and say your Zephyr looks even better in person. The fins you edged out are a work of art. Folks if your going to build one these for L-1 certification watch the video's and Patternflyer techniques you can't go wrong.

Hey Ron, yes, she is my assistant on the camera. I can usually get her out to the field for maiden flights, but that’s about it.......... LOL
You are spot on about the lack of weather data. There is no cell service out there, which is unfortunate. But I can tell you without using scientific instruments, it was WINDY!!!!!!!!!! LOL
Something to think about, but I’m starting to look more closely at the humidity at the time of launch. I’m seeing significant increase in altitude as the humidity drops. Interesting to monitor that variable.
That little spike in the chart is interesting, but we’ve both seen some strange anomalous with the FS Mini.
I find when you desert people 😆🤣 get 1000ft, we get 700ft. On really humid days, it looks like they hang in the air around 100ft.

Did you read @BEC’s article in PoF? The newer altimeters all perform about the same including the Mini. Good info. I’m almost done with my Biohazard.

@Patternflyer - I enjoyed watching your videos on the Zephyr build and congrats on your cert flight. I have a question regarding your fin surface prep. Did you do anything specifically to fill the grain? I am building one also, and used MinWax sealer, but was not real pleased with the results. I'm considering sanding some more and then using white primer as you did and see if that makes a difference. Anyone else can jump in here also. Appreciate any suggestions from you experts.

@Patternflyer - I enjoyed watching your videos on the Zephyr build and congrats on your cert flight. I have a question regarding your fin surface prep. Did you do anything specifically to fill the grain? I am building one also, and used MinWax sealer, but was not real pleased with the results. I'm considering sanding some more and then using white primer as you did and see if that makes a difference. Anyone else can jump in here also. Appreciate any suggestions from you experts.

I was watching Dave Thomas build a Vapor. He dipped the fins in the Miniwax sealer then let them dry on skewer sticks. After it thoroughly dries, sand on a sheet of sanding paper until satisfied. Rinse, repeat...

I find that grey primer will fill better but is heavier than white. If you use baby powder on the primer, then it doesn't clog the sand paper as much. I haven't tried it yet. I recently bought a can of black primer and haven't used it yet so should be interesting.

Last edited:
I start off by sanding my fins. Then I use DAP Plastic Wood - K. I take a portion and add a little water to thin it out enough to make it smooth. Apply with your finger. After it dries, I sand and reapply if needed. I attach my fins and then do fillets. I use Rustoleum primer sandable and tillable. After drying, sand, and repeat. After final sanding spray paint. Hope that helps, Dr. G.

I was watching Dave Thomas build a Vapor. He dipped the fins in the Miniwax sealer then let them dry on skewer sticks. After it thoroughly dries, sand on a sheet of sanding paper until satisfied. Rinse, repeat...

I find that grey primer will fill better but is heavier than white. If you use baby powder on the primer, then it doesn't clog the sand paper as much. I haven't tried it yet. I recently bought a can of black primer and haven't used it yet so should be interesting.

Thanks for the advice - never thought baby powder might help with the sand paper. Do like the idea of dipping the fins though, might try that next time.

I start off by sanding my fins. Then I use DAP Plastic Wood - K. I take a portion and add a little water to thin it out enough to make it smooth. Apply with your finger. After it dries, I sand and reapply if needed. I attach my fins and then do fillets. I use Rustoleum primer sandable and tillable. After drying, sand, and repeat. After final sanding spray paint. Hope that helps, Dr. G.
Have never used DAP plastic wood to my knowledge. Thanks for the tips.

Great presentation. I am building my first HPR - Zephyr, and you provided a lot of good info.

Thank you! :goodjob:

I have started a build/launch series on my YouTube channel for my new Apogee Zephyr. Hope y’all can follow along and cheer me on to getting my Level 1. Hope to maiden flight it next month assuming all goes well.

My Zephyr is undergoing a facelift - or rather an extension. I added the dual deployment kit from Apogee and still need to add the electronics to the av-bay. But she is painted and assembled. The DD kit added an extra 483mm (19") of length [1925mm total] and she currently weighs in at 2,049g (72.25 oz). before the electronics. I wanted a contrasting colour instead of the same white as the main body. I am debating whether to add a 25mm (1") matching green band just below the nose cone -- what do you think? I am not adding the tacky dual deployment stickers that Apogee supplied; that's definitely not for me.

My Zephyr has a few flights under its belt now so it has a few scratches and bruises; I added a coupler to stiffen the interior because I damaged the tube under a hard landing when the chute didn't open fully. That was about 55g of weight. It has been suggested that I peel the stickers, repaint, and apply new stickers to the original section. I'm not sure about that as I kinda like the "experienced" look to the rocket and will likely leave as is.
20220729_153947.jpg

Great presentation. I am building my first HPR - Zephyr, and you provided a lot of good info.

Thank you! :goodjob:
Thanks Crawf56! Please post pictures or videos if you can! Looking forward to what you come up with!

My Zephyr is undergoing a facelift - or rather an extension. I added the dual deployment kit from Apogee and still need to add the electronics to the av-bay. But she is painted and assembled. The DD kit added an extra 483mm (19") of length [1925mm total] and she currently weighs in at 2,049g (72.25 oz). before the electronics. I wanted a contrasting colour instead of the same white as the main body. I am debating whether to add a 25mm (1") matching green band just below the nose cone -- what do you think? I am not adding the tacky dual deployment stickers that Apogee supplied; that's definitely not for me.

My Zephyr has a few flights under its belt now so it has a few scratches and bruises; I added a coupler to stiffen the interior because I damaged the tube under a hard landing when the chute didn't open fully. That was about 55g of weight. It has been suggested that I peel the stickers, repaint, and apply new stickers to the original section. I'm not sure about that as I kinda like the "experienced" look to the rocket and will likely leave as is.
View attachment 530076
I'll be completely honest with you, I wasn't even aware that Apogee produced a DD kit! I just looked it up and now I'm contemplating one! I think you did a fine job and I wouldn't want to be the one to advise on how to make it look (cosmetically), but I will say that it looks great just the way it is. That doesn't mean the stripe would detract, but again, personal preference for you! Very cool set-up! I kinda like your philosophy on keeping the scratches. Scratches tell stories, just like scars on our bodies! LOL Let us know how the DD flight goes for you! I'm VERY anxious to know, as I might try that too someday soon!

Latest posts

Back