Need some input on Level 2 cert Dual deploy or parachute?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sterk03

Reaction score
I want to get my level 2 cert and will try the early March launch at Higgs farm MDRA . I'm leaning on keeping it simple as some have advised and use single deploy and parachute at apogee. Looking at the altitude of some motors even at Higgs if there is a breeze I will be going on a long walk . I really don't want to set up the ebay and dual deploy for the test and one option is the chute at altitude and a Jolly Logic to get lower before chute opening and KISS. Of course the Jolly could have Murphy along and fail also. Is there a way to deploy the drogue and also the chute at the same time but the chute is on a Jolly so if malfunction the drogue would maybe reduce some speed before hitting earth? I will run some rocksims to see what the wind will do to the drift. I did my Level 1 at Higgs and it was a blustery day and used the chute at apogee and I had a long walk but past the test. I'm open to comments, opinions and also criticism. The other option is at Penn Yan NY in June. Suggestions on a cheap tacker.

Thanks,Sterk03

I want to get my level 2 cert and will try the early March launch at Higgs farm MDRA . I'm leaning on keeping it simple as some have advised and use single deploy and parachute at apogee. Looking at the altitude of some motors even at Higgs if there is a breeze I will be going on a long walk . I really don't want to set up the ebay and dual deploy for the test and one option is the chute at altitude and a Jolly Logic to get lower before chute opening and KISS. Of course the Jolly could have Murphy along and fail also. Is there a way to deploy the drogue and also the chute at the same time but the chute is on a Jolly so if malfunction the drogue would maybe reduce some speed before hitting earth? I will run some rocksims to see what the wind will do to the drift. I did my Level 1 at Higgs and it was a blustery day and used the chute at apogee and I had a long walk but past the test. I'm open to comments, opinions and also criticism. The other option is at Penn Yan NY in June. Suggestions on a cheap tacker.

Thanks,Sterk03
I think having a drogue out along with a main on a JLCR, all flopping around in the breeze on the descent is asking for a tangled mess.

It's YOUR flight. Do what your comfortable with...

FOR EXAMPLE: With your L1 you can fly a I500T-14 all you want. The J425R-14 is an L2 motor. So if your going for your L2, you should be comfortable enough on the I500 that you have a process in place. Then when you pop the J425 in and "cross the line" to L2 it IS "just another flight".

38mm DMS I500T-14 is 620N-sec
38mm DMS J425R-14 is 675N-sec

Have fun and enjoy all the flights.

[Edit to add, I have BT-55 low power rockets that are full dual deploy, and use a JLCR in down to BT-60 (very tight), to keep rockets in our small local fields. I wouldn't worry about doing either on a certification flight, as I use them all the time. If I mess up and fail the cert, oh-well "my fault".]

Last edited:

Thanks,Sterk03

Get a cheap Majestic Estes rocket and fly it on E16-4s to practice the JL release ... Watch all the videos on how to prep it.

I used that test rocket, I was like I know how to prep chutes and had 2 failures until I said to myself , OK watch the maker's video who created it and then it started working for me ; my last one was on a 3" ISP on a I65-p.

I had a Perfect Flite altimeter in the payload bay for apogee and then the JLCR for main. Plus a BigRedBee RDF tracker in the payload bay as well...

Last edited:

Thanks,Sterk03
It's your choice, but I would keep it simple with motor eject at apogee and (perhaps) anticipate a longish walk, rather than make it more complicated for a cert flight and risk failing. You'll have plenty of opportunity to play with electronics and deployment configurations when you've passed your cert flight. If you're really concerned about a long walk, then keep it low and slow. Choose a low impulse J motor that gives you a safe velocity off the rail and, if possible, an apogee that allows you to maintain visual contact.

If you want a low cost tracker, then one of the Eggfinders will do the job nicely.

Last edited:
I used my JLCR for my L1 flight along with a streamer (rather than a drogue) and it worked out well. The caveat being that I’d flown many times using that combination with a variety of motors and rockets so I had a good base of experience. As already mentioned, practicing is never a bad thing.

I have been thinking about a L2 attempt this year. I am going to use a J425. I have flown I500's. I have been thinking how to keep the rocket at about 2500' and use motor eject. A 6" rocket that weighs 150 ounces fits the bill. I haven't decided yet if that's what I'm going to do or not. I'll keep putting rocket specs into Thrust Curve and then make a decision. Good luck.

I used my JLCR for my L1 flight along with a streamer (rather than a drogue) and it worked out well. The caveat being that I’d flown many times using that combination with a variety of motors and rockets so I had a good base of experience. As already mentioned, practicing is never a bad thing.
Nice job!

Attachments

• 20240207_063407.jpg
    20240207_063407.jpg
    1,009.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240103_234021.jpg
    20240103_234021.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I have been thinking about a L2 attempt this year. I am going to use a J425. I have flown I500's. I have been thinking how to keep the rocket at about 2500' and use motor eject. A 6" rocket that weighs 150 ounces fits the bill. I haven't decided yet if that's what I'm going to do or not. I'll keep putting rocket specs into Thrust Curve and then make a decision. Good luck.

A 6", 10lb rocket is probably not making it to 2500 feet on a baby J. Thrustcurve estimates 1500ft. But that sounds like a good choice! LOC 5.5 cardboard is probably the off-the-shelf choice that will get you closest to that.

You could do something like this.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/minnie-magg-drag-mods-for-level-2.181275/

Zach Galifianakis Yes GIF

I used JLCR for my L2 on a LOC 4" Phoenix. I use it on many rockets that have a drogue chute, or streamer. On both cords I run a third loop. On single deploy with JLCR I run third loop about 3' down from NC for the main, with the drogue being attached about 3' up from booster. This keeps everything separated and seems to lessen the chance of tangling.

You wanna learn how to fly a rocket ??
Fly rockets, lol..

To me, electronic dual deploy is what you're best off becoming comfortable with.
Fly level 1 electronic dual deploy flights until you get them to work properly most often.
Then "cross that line" as someone said into level 2 and the cert flight will be no big deal, easy peasy..

Don't forget, on any cert flight, a bit nervous is fun, cool.
Don't make yourself nuts.
No matter what happens on that cert flight, your next flight will be that cert level.
You just may not get the card, lol.

Teddy

If you plan on doing more HPR flying, I'd recommend getting used to dual deploy. I started building my level 1 sized rockets to be dual deploy so I could learn the techniques and be comfortable with them before I started thinking about L2. When you're ready for L2, you'll know what you need to do for DD, and it won't be an additional stressor in the process.

If you plan on doing more HPR flying, I'd recommend getting used to dual deploy. I started building my level 1 sized rockets to be dual deploy so I could learn the techniques and be comfortable with them before I started thinking about L2. When you're ready for L2, you'll know what you need to do for DD, and it won't be an additional stressor in the process.
Yes please..

Teddy

Essentially, you are worried about messing up your L-2 flight with too many simultaneously new complications. Right?

Well having watched over a whole buynch of cert L-3 flights over the years, I will give you the exact same advice I give to every L-3 cert wanna-be: fly enough practice flights with only ONE NEW THING AT A TIME, and multiple flights with each new thing, so that you are experienced with each part of the flight BEFORE you do your L-2 cert flight. There are certainly enough variety of L-1 motors out there to give you and your rockets, electronics, and recovery options the experience you need to be as sure as one can be, that your L-2 cert flight will be successful. When all the steps are routine, then you are ready.......

There was a young man on his way to play solo violin at Carnegie Hall for the first time, but he'd never been there before. He asked a passing stranger, "How do I get to Carnegie Hall?" to which the stranger replied, "Practice, Practice, Practice!"

There you have it: "Practice, Practice, Practice!"

Brad, the "Rocket Rev.," Wilson

I did my L2 on a scratch build DD. It was light enough to fly on an I impulse motor. So a couple of flights on the I motors was done before going for my L2. First attempt (J350) was a charm. If your rocket will fly on an H or I and your wish is to make it a DD, do it, and "dial" it in before your L2 cert flight. No need to be in a hurry.

My first big rocket (MPR/HPR) is/was a LOC Mystic Buzz (“MB”). Did my L1 cert with it, using only motor deployed parachute.
While having fun and gaining L1 experience with more launches, a motor delay went waaay long and deployed while coming down ballistic… zippered the tube on the MB.
Planned the rebuild for my L2; used single deploy electronic (Eggtimer Quasar) w/motor deploy as backup, which wasn’t needed. At ~3,600’ apogee, the charge went off and out popped the main chute wrapped in a JLChute Release. That was enough drag; didn’t need a drougue. Worked perfectly and only went maybe 1/4 mile down range.
Next on my list is an L3 build, and more L2 flights with the MB - working into true double deployment.
All that to say… I think your JLCR idea is a good one! Worked great for me.

I did DD on my L1 cert so by the time I flew my L2, DD was a no brainer. It's really not difficult, easy in fact, and very dependable.
JLCR is also very dependable when you get the folding of the chute down.

If you want to do either DD or JLCR for your L2 cert flight, I would say, go for it. I would also say, if you can get some practice with either or both on a few L1 flights, that's not a bad idea either.

It's your flight, do what you are comfortable with. Don't put too much weight on a cert flight. A baby J is very close to a full I. If you are going to fly a K motor, that might be a little different. But even so, if it doesn't work, you can always fly another one. That's what happened to me, flew my L2 cert on a K696R and lost the nose cone. Put a new nose cone on it and flew it again that day on a J425R to actually get the cert. But that K motor rocked!

A 6", 10lb rocket is probably not making it to 2500 feet on a baby J. Thrustcurve estimates 1500ft. But that sounds like a good choice! LOC 5.5 cardboard is probably the off-the-shelf choice that will get you closest to that.
I was wrong. I looked at Thrust Curve and I put in 100 ounces. It would get to 2000'.

Thanks,Sterk03
Just go drougeless with the JLCR. That's what I did for my level 1 and 2 at Higgs. That was in a PML Andromeda, that hit around 4k' for my level 2, and landed about 30' away from the far trees that were about 1800' away from the flightline.

Back