Anybody want an F18?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Initiator001 is correct, the missile engines used to boost B-52 takeoff were on the old HoundDog.

Hey, look at that, 1000 posts!

Huh. Coulda sworn I read Tomahawk, but thats 2-1. :p Ill go with that.

alot of my family is very involved in the local airforce base. Anyway to make a long story short I have gotten on the base the day before the show. It is amazing when the Blue Angels or Thunderbirds are practicing. There are no people around so they fly over the whole base and do so really low. Man it is exiting. those things right over your head going super fast, it is amazing.

Originally posted by Neil
Huh. Coulda sworn I read Tomahawk, but thats 2-1. :p Ill go with that.

Even if there weren't problems related to operating the jet engine in a Tomahawk while being carried on a B-52, you would still run into this: those tiny little jets only put out a few hundred pounds of thrust, and you probably wouldn't even notice it on a B-52.

The Hound Dog, OTOH, was a big mutha missile, the size of a small fighter plane, and was carried externally under the wing.

Originally posted by prowlerguy
True story. June Week airshow at USNA my senior year. Both the Red Arrows and Blue Angels were booked, and the Red Arrows had just gotten permission from the FAA to return to US airspace. The Severn River was the show line, and it is bordered by atheltic fields. During some cross-showline moves, the Red Arrow pilots were actually flying between the light poles. Evidently, BA7 radioed word of this back to the Blues, who, not wanting to be shown up at the Naval Academy by the Brits, proceeded to push their routine farther than I ever saw them push it. In fact, one of the solo pilots went under the Rt 50 bridge, then barely over the Hospital Point bridge! What a show!

Nothing like a lil international competition to produce great results :)

Sound a little dangerous:eek: Im not gonna be a stunt pilot, I can tell you that NOW! Id love to WATCH, though..... I have actually seen the blue angels once. THey flew over our house on thier way to a flight show. No tricks, though:(

Back