Anybody want an F18?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a sec tehre I thought it was a rocket motor you were talkin about.... "100M for one motor!?" oh. Right. Its an airplane. Sorry to say I dont have 100 million, and I dont see how anyone other than bill gates or some movie star could. That is just "too much money". Well, Isuppose its better than a billion bucks.... Youd have to win "survivor" 100 times to get that much.... Not gonna happen. Those hundreds of bidders must have all won the state lottery or something!:eek:

It seems that the E-Bay folks have taken down this particular item of national interest.... The link doesn't work anymore.

WW

I was looking at it last nite & there was a note from he seller saying that they were pulling the item because of too many bogus unqualified bidders & that they should be contacted directly.
Same seller did still have a like new Mig 29 on ebay though.

Originally posted by daveyfire
If you've got $100 million sitting around, I don't see why you shouldn't spend it... :D :D :D

I saw that last night at the yahoo home page.....$100 million is a little more than I have right now......... But if we get all the TRF members to chip in........ It would "only" be $100,000 each........ I will volunteer to collect the money from everyone and then write the man a check :D :D

But if we get all the TRF members to chip in........ It would "only" be $100,000 each

So I'll get to use it every 1000th weekend?? :)

Phil

Wheeeeee!!!! I cant wait to be behind THOSE controlls~!:eek: :D :D :D

Originally posted by Rocketmaniac
I saw that last night at the yahoo home page.....$100 million is a little more than I have right now

Well, since the USAF only pays $18 million for a brand new one...

$100 million seems excessive to me.

I heard about this on the news. for an extra 2 million they will put it together for you too

Avflash the aviation newsletter had the story this week. The bid was 1.05million, and for 9 million it would be made airworthy. It is disassembled with 4000 hours and zero time engines. It was confirmed that it had belonged to the Blue Angels in the early 1990s. It is a legal aircraft, but a spokesperson for the Blue Angles didn't know how it ended up in private hands.

Forget it guys, the fuel bill would be a nightmare:D

Larry

no kiddin!

I wonder what would happen if you made a ROCKET with the F18... Proabably be the biggest "F" around! ;) But really... That would go pretty high, especially if it kept burning for an hour!:cool: :eek: I have no knowlege of aircraft engines, but it would be cool if you could make one into a rocket!

oh man, this things got PMC written all OVER it! :D

well, i guess it wouldn't be P MC.... LOL

sounds like a job for clusters....

I will volunteer to collect the money from everyone and then write the man a check

reminds me of the guy commenting on the $1+ billion for the Stealth fighter... he commented

"let me get this straight... you'll pay me $1 billion to build you an airplane that you can't *see*??"

"Great! Tell you what. Give me the money now and the plan will be ready in the morning. If you don't see me here... ...that's because I'm *in* the airplane..."

LOL

Originally posted by RocketmanTM
Yeah, how many A10-3T's can you cram up the tail pipes?

not enough to get it going I bet

INteresting you would say that, if anyone here has seen the blue angels show they probably saw the blue angels C-130 that takes off and does some barrel rolls and stuff before hand. That thing has rocket assisted take off. Man that thing leaps right off the runway....it is kinda puttering down then all of the sudden it is 500 feet up flipping around. It is kind weird to see a cargo plane do maneuvers like that.

I hear that Tomahawk-equipped B51s use thier Tomahawk's engines to get it going, and then refule the Tomahawks after they are in the air. Kinda like an extra coupla engines to get it going off the runway faster.:cool:

I think you meant B-52 and I hope your kidding. the stress from the engines would probably screw up the missiles attatchment points, also most of the missiles are in the belly of the aircraft, and you wouldnt get much gain from such a small engine, even though there are alot of them.

Imagine if there was a rocket to assist the take off of a B-52. It would be huge......

Yeah. Thats what I meant. Typo. They gotta move those keys further apart......

BTW. I am not very well-versed in military airplanes. Whats a B51?

whatever a B51 is I am pretty sure it isnt a military aircraft Maybe you were thinking B-1b? that is a type of bomber.

Originally posted by Ryan S.
not enough to get it going I bet

INteresting you would say that, if anyone here has seen the blue angels show they probably saw the blue angels C-130 that takes off and does some barrel rolls and stuff before hand. That thing has rocket assisted take off. Man that thing leaps right off the runway....it is kinda puttering down then all of the sudden it is 500 feet up flipping around. It is kind weird to see a cargo plane do maneuvers like that.

I have seen that... I managed to collect two of the fired Jato Bottles. They weighed about 80 pounds empty...

At that airshow, the eight Jato Bottles ignited the grass on fire...

how did you get them? The show that I saw they stayed on the C-130 never mind the fact that no one was allowed on the actual runway.

they must have been some seriously powerful motors. that C130 must be heavy, I do remember that there were 4 on each side so that helped I am sure

Originally posted by Ryan S.
how did you get them? The show that I saw they stayed on the C-130 never mind the fact that no one was allowed on the actual runway.

they must have been some seriously powerful motors. that C130 must be heavy, I do remember that there were 4 on each side so that helped I am sure

I was a volunteer at the airshow, so I was allowed on the run way... matter of fact... After the blue angles did their show, we road down the runway in a pick up truck at 75 to go get the white markers off the run way that the Blue Angel use as a point of referance. I was sitting on the side... people in the crowed was waving... I was waving... it was so much fun :)

How I got the bottles... I asked if I could have an empty JATO bottle, the guy said sure, and he told me where he will leave one. The next day, I went there, he left me two of them :).

Actually, the C-130's short-field takeoff capability is very impressive even without the JATO. And don't forget that a barrel roll is a one-G manuever that doesn't stress the airframe very much at all (if done right). As long as you have enough energy to get over the top, it's a piece of cake.

One advantage of going through VT-10 and VT-86 (NFO Primary and Advanced) was that during the show season you could watch the Blues nearly every weekday morning as they flew their practice show. Of course they closed the airfield, so if you were a little late, you may end up sitting in the hold short sweating your butt off or drilling holes in the sky until they are done.

A little known fact is that Blue Angel replacement pilots are chosen by the current pilots, not by some "best of the best" criteria. Assuming the requisite number of hours and traps(which almost all fleet pilots have), the selection process comes down to reputation as a good stick (since nobody is an airshow pilot when they report), public profile (looks, married, public speaking skills, diversity, etc), and most importantly: do the guys like you? This leads to a phenomenon known as "Blues chasing", where pilots who wish to become Blues and have access to aircraft will fly cross-country hops to as many airshows as they can, and then attend Blue Angel pre- and post-show events. Very much like rushing a fraternity. My Intermediate instructor was doing this, so I ended up at about 3 or 4 airshows that summer. I ended up manning the static display while he was off schmoozing the Blues. It was still a good deal, because airshow groupies are great!

Who needs the Blue Angels when you've got the Red Arrows :kill: :p

Phil

Originally posted by Neil
I hear that Tomahawk-equipped B51s use thier Tomahawk's engines to get it going, and then refule the Tomahawks after they are in the air. Kinda like an extra coupla engines to get it going off the runway faster.:cool:

In the 1960s and 70s, SAC B52s carried the Hound Dog (AGM-28) nuclear air-to-surface missile, one on each wing pylon.

B52 pilots could run the Hound Dog engines at take-off for extra thrust and shut down the missile engines once the bomber reached it's cruising altitude. The B52 would then top off the Hound Dog fuel tanks.

I have read this was not done often as the Hound Dog engine tended to suck in ground debris and ruin the engine.

True story. June Week airshow at USNA my senior year. Both the Red Arrows and Blue Angels were booked, and the Red Arrows had just gotten permission from the FAA to return to US airspace. The Severn River was the show line, and it is bordered by atheltic fields. During some cross-showline moves, the Red Arrow pilots were actually flying between the light poles. Evidently, BA7 radioed word of this back to the Blues, who, not wanting to be shown up at the Naval Academy by the Brits, proceeded to push their routine farther than I ever saw them push it. In fact, one of the solo pilots went under the Rt 50 bridge, then barely over the Hospital Point bridge! What a show!

Latest posts

Back