ANNOUNCEMENT: The OpenRocket 22.02 Beta Period is now finished

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did download and installed latest to Win8.1 PC.
Upon opening OR I get "Error upon thrust curve import". with a box "Loading motors" show activity. These never finish and close on their own.
This is because of a bad motor file. If your custom motor files are for commercial motors, you probably don't need them anymore since the new OR has a fresh import from Thrustcurve.org.

Did download and installed latest to Win8.1 PC.
Upon opening OR I get "Error upon thrust curve import". with a box "Loading motors" show activity. These never finish and close on their own.
Clicking Close on the Error box, OR then opens and seems to run correctly
We suspect this is due to a bad motor file. Do you have any motor files you have previously added to the old OR? If so, could you please send them to me? Thanks!

Hi TRF colleagues,

I am just beginning to use OR version 22. I am finding the following issue right away:

Side View and Back View work fine. However, 3D Figure, 3D Unfinished, and 3D Finished often disappear as soon as I click on any one of those choices.

Can I fix this?

Thank you.

Stanley

Me too.

But if I click one of the other choices, the view comes back. Windoze 10, old HP laptop.

Hans.

Not a Beta 2 issue, but a feature request.

I can "build" a rocket and check/verify weight with the components in the kit. OK, fine. Then build, glue. Now it gets heavier, beyond the estimate. Then I paint. That often adds somewhere around 1/2 to 3/4 oz of weight. So the weight estimate is now way off. I can add arbitrary weight, that's available. However, that weight is spread out over the surface area, meaning that it's somewhat more concentrated toward the fin area. Again, I can guesstimate where to add more weight, however it should be possible to add "Paint" as a build component that will be distributed over the surface area, which is known in the build data.

Or I could be completely wrong.....

Hans.

Not a Beta 2 issue, but a feature request.

I can "build" a rocket and check/verify weight with the components in the kit. OK, fine. Then build, glue. Now it gets heavier, beyond the estimate. Then I paint. That often adds somewhere around 1/2 to 3/4 oz of weight. So the weight estimate is now way off. I can add arbitrary weight, that's available. However, that weight is spread out over the surface area, meaning that it's somewhat more concentrated toward the fin area. Again, I can guesstimate where to add more weight, however it should be possible to add "Paint" as a build component that will be distributed over the surface area, which is known in the build data.

Or I could be completely wrong.....

Hans.
You can manually adjust (override) the CG and overall weight.

1649576002852.png

Last edited:
This is because of a bad motor file. If your custom motor files are for commercial motors, you probably don't need them anymore since the new OR has a fresh import from Thrustcurve.org.

We suspect this is due to a bad motor file. Do you have any motor files you have previously added to the old OR? If so, could you please send them to me? Thanks!
Thanks for answer.
I did not think that v22 used custom engine files added in v15. Until I feel V22 is good and know how to use it I want to keep using V15 since I have a lot of rockets design with V15.

I was surprised that V22 has the same list in File\OpenRecent... that V15 has.

The error box says "Cesaroni.eng" will be ignored.

Here is the "User-defined thrust curves" in v15. "Cesaroni.eng" is not one of them.
This list is the same in both V15 and V22. I am surprised at this.
If I remove the custom engines from V22 will V15 still have them???

C:\Users\waltr\AppData\Roaming\OpenRocket\ThrustCurves;G:\Documents\Rockets\OpenRocket\EngineFiles\AeroTech_F40W.rse;G:\Documents\Rockets\OpenRocket\EngineFiles\AeroTech_F52C.rse;G:\Documents\Rockets\OpenRocket\EngineFiles\AeroTech_F67W.rse;G:\Documents\Rockets\OpenRocket\EngineFiles\AeroTech_H100W_DMS.rse;G:\Documents\Rockets\OpenRocket\EngineFiles\AeroTech_H283ST.rse;G:\Documents\Rockets\OpenRocket\EngineFiles\Quest_C12.rse;G:\Documents\Rockets\OpenRocket\EngineFiles\Quest_D16.rse;G:\Documents\Rockets\OpenRocket\EngineFiles\Quest_MICRO_MAXX_II.rse

Open V22 (after closing the error box) and adding a New Configuration - all the Cesaroni motor are available.

A few post up stated that both versions of open rocket could be installed and used. Did not know they shared 'Preferences'.

I have not had time to look too much thru the thread, or current issue list. But I do a lot of tubefins, and the 15.03 while "experimental tubefin support" did give "close" results for my 1" thru 3" designs (Maybe a little low, but close to FlightSketch altimeter data...) The new version is WAY too low in altitude. It seems the Pressure Drag Coefficient is being calculated at a MUCH higher value. (~0.825 vs ~3.015) Attached is screen shot from both versions, and the design file.
Drag_vs_Mach_Tubefins_OR-15-03.jpgDrag_vs_Mach_Tubefins_OR-22-02.jpg

Attachments

• LOC_Cyclotron_4_54.ork
    39.5 KB · Views: 2
I have not had time to look too much thru the thread, or current issue list. But I do a lot of tubefins, and the 15.03 while "experimental tubefin support" did give "close" results for my 1" thru 3" designs (Maybe a little low, but close to FlightSketch altimeter data...) The new version is WAY too low in altitude. It seems the Pressure Drag Coefficient is being calculated at a MUCH higher value. (~0.825 vs ~3.015) Attached is screen shot from both versions, and the design file.
Thank you for data! I think this is the first one showing a lower altitude than reality -- mainly we've been seeing ridiculously high...

> Copy Simulation results to clipboard

Does this mean that the whole table of results of say 15 simulations at the top of the Flight Simulations tab gets copied to the clipboard, so it can be pasted into excel?

Or does this refer to just the results of a specific simulation?

> Multi-select/copy/paste components in the tree

Does this mean between the trees of separate ORK files, or within the tree of a specific ORK file?

> Multi-select/copy/paste components in the tree

Does this mean between the trees of separate ORK files, or within the tree of a specific ORK file?

Sometimes the best way to determine how something works is to simply try it. But, to answer your question, so long as you are in the same instance of OpenRocket, you can do either, so long as the components being copied are appropriate for where the components are being pasted. By instance, I mean that you open the target (paste) design from within the design that you are copying from.

> Copy Simulation results to clipboard

Does this mean that the whole table of results of say 15 simulations at the top of the Flight Simulations tab gets copied to the clipboard, so it can be pasted into excel?

Or does this refer to just the results of a specific simulation?

This refers to the results of a specific selected simulation.

We're trying to make the upgrade path as seamless as possible for users -- we've made few (if any -- I'd have to check) changes to our preferences and what they mean, so there's no good reason for the new version to put preferences in a new place. Likewise for "recent designs"; the beta opens all old .ork files without issue, so there's no reason not to have the list of recent designs be shared (if you save under the beta and then open under 15.03 you'll get a bunch of warnings, but if you aren't using any new features the file should open correctly).

The error box says "Cesaroni.eng" will be ignored.
This has me more confused than ever -- there's no Cesaroni.eng in the thrustcurve.org-provided motor files, either...

If the custom files are in thrustcurve.org's database, the beta doesn't need them. But yes, if you delete them from the beta they will also be gone from 15.03 -- what I'd really like would be to find out why a bad file manages to hang the beta, so we can fix the problem...

Last edited:
Thanks for answer.

Is there any other info you would like about the "Cesaroni.eng" error?
OR 22 gives this every time I open it but click close and OR opens and seems to work properly.

This refers to the results of a specific selected simulation.

Found that if you highlight the entire table you can right-click-copy, and then paste the whole thing into excel. This is really cool.

I asked the question before I had installed this new version. I was reluctant to install it because I was concerned I would somehow muck up my current ORK files. I installed it, opened an existing ORK file, and immediately did a file-save-as with a slightly different name so I would not lose the original.

I did an un-install on the old version first, then did an install of the new one. The only issue I had was getting ORK files associated with the executable so they will open automatically w/ Open Rocket when you double-click on the filename. OpenRocket was not coming up as a possible program to use when I did an "open-with". Even if I surfed to and selected the actual executable at the correct location, it did not do the file association. Double-click on an ORK file and it was still trying to open it with Adobe Acrobat for some reason. I had to do a registry edit to correct this - it was an easy fix, just followed the directions in a youtube video that showed you what to do. I have Win-7 by the way.

Last edited:
This is the youtube video with the method I used to correct the file association problem I was having:

Windows 7 File Association cannot choose the program for the file type:

Thanks for answer.

Is there any other info you would like about the "Cesaroni.eng" error?
OR 22 gives this every time I open it but click close and OR opens and seems to work properly.
A screenshot would be good; I've been asking people to send me a motor file that causes trouble, but if there is no file by that name I don't know what to say...

The only issue I had was getting ORK files associated with the executable so they will open automatically w/ Open Rocket when you double-click on the filename. OpenRocket was not coming up as a possible program to use when I did an "open-with". Even if I surfed to and selected the actual executable at the correct location, it did not do the file association.

Instructions for associating OpenRocket design files with the OpenRocket executable file in Windows may be viewed here:
Windows file association instructions

A screenshot would be good; I've been asking people to send me a motor file that causes trouble, but if there is no file by that name I don't know what to say...

If nobody who's complaining about it is willing to send you an engine file that demonstrates the problem, then I'd forget about it.

It's pretty annoying when customers who complain about a bug then refuse to provide any information to help a developer reproduce that bug. My customers usually paid for the product they're complaining about, so I'm sure it's even more annoying when you're giving away your work for free. :)

If nobody who's complaining about it is willing to send you an engine file that demonstrates the problem, then I'd forget about it.

It's pretty annoying when customers who complain about a bug then refuse to provide any information to help a developer reproduce that bug. My customers usually paid for the product they're complaining about, so I'm sure it's even more annoying when you're giving away your work for free. :)
Or like me we found and identified the bad motor files (it was an updated Cesaroni ones from Mark Koelsch not long before he passed) deleted them and it fixed the issue....before we got a screen shot.

I looked in the "OpenRocket\EngineFiles" folder and no Cersaroni.eng file there.

Found it in:
C:\Users\waltr\AppData\Roaming\OpenRocket\ThrustCurves
There are also "Aerotech.eng", "Estes.eng" ans Quest.eng" is this folder.
Should I delete them??

The Components & Plugins folders here have nothing in them..
Should the folders be deleted??

Attachments

• OR_Error.PNG
    OR_Error.PNG
    153.7 KB · Views: 16
> Instructions for associating OpenRocket design files with the OpenRocket executable file in
> Windows may be viewed here:
> Windows file association instructions

Thanks - I had tried that - the problem was that standard Windows method simply did not work. The only fix was the registry edit method I referred to.

Generally you should not need them with OR22, since all the latest motors (up to a couple of weeks ago) are built into the program.
thanks. I will delete those .eng files.
Where did they come from?
Do I need the "C:\Users\waltr\AppData\Roaming\OpenRocket " folder?? Why is that there with nothing in them except bad .eng files??

Back