AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm digging the G75 but will a RMS version be available? I invested a lot of money in my cases and it would be nice to have more choice to put in them at the 29mm level. A Metalstorm or a Super Thunder would be killer!

Wanted to give a shout out to Aerotech. Got back into rockets this past year after a 25 year hiatus so so. Was assembling a few LMS motors on a friday night and found one package to be missing the forward closure. Emailed Aerotech well after hours on a Friday evening asking if they could send me a forward closure. To my surprise, Karl responded back that same evening (late) and said no problem! To my surprise, when the package showed up, not only was the forward closure in there but another complete LMS motor kit as well. Definitely didn't expect that but very much appreciated!

Wanted to give a shout out to Aerotech. Got back into rockets this past year after a 25 year hiatus so so. Was assembling a few LMS motors on a friday night and found one package to be missing the forward closure. Emailed Aerotech well after hours on a Friday evening asking if they could send me a forward closure. To my surprise, Karl responded back that same evening (late) and said no problem! To my surprise, when the package showed up, not only was the forward closure in there but another complete LMS motor kit as well. Definitely didn't expect that but very much appreciated!
Customer service has been way up over the last few years, no doubt about that!

Sorry, not possible at this time due to limitations of our DOT approvals.

I'm digging the G75 but will a RMS version be available? I invested a lot of money in my cases and it would be nice to have more choice to put in them at the 29mm level. A Metalstorm or a Super Thunder would be killer!

Thanks, Tank!

I personally like to see a moon burning WL D load for the 18/20 case. I would also love a Fastjack D load for the same case :). Also, a BT load for the RMS 29/120 case would be cool too :D

We have some older F20-7W motors and are having trouble inserting the ignitor.

They don't seem to be the usual center core type. The grain seems to be completely flat and starts just inside the nozzle. I thought they might be slot or moonburners, so fished around the inside rim of the nozzle for an offset hole, but could find nothing. After about 20 minutes of frustration, we just crammed the ignitor in as far as we could. The ignitor fired, but the motor did not ignite.

What's the secret technique for getting the ignitor in? Any advice?

Attachments

• IMG_7794.JPG
    IMG_7794.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 25
F20's have a slotted grain. The slot does not extend to the center. You need to carefully insert the starter at an angle toward the outside of the grain. Keep gently poking while rotating the motor until you find the slot. Then the starter should go on in the length of the grain (about 2" more). White Lightning may be swollen if the motor is old enough and has been exposed to humidity. Then the slot may be too tight for the starter to fit. (If called an igniter, it's regulated by ATFE, if you call it a starter, it's not regulated. Government at work :))

Please contact Karl at [email protected].

We have some older F20-7W motors and are having trouble inserting the ignitor.

They don't seem to be the usual center core type. The grain seems to be completely flat and starts just inside the nozzle. I thought they might be slot or moonburners, so fished around the inside rim of the nozzle for an offset hole, but could find nothing. After about 20 minutes of frustration, we just crammed the ignitor in as far as we could. The ignitor fired, but the motor did not ignite.

What's the secret technique for getting the ignitor in? Any advice?

The limitations are not exactly cut and dried, and I would need to examine each new perturbation to see if it was possible within the confines of the approvals.

Do these limitation extend to other flavors of new 29mm RMS loads or just ST and Metals? Are there plans for new 29mm loads at all?

I see the box says 'Low and mid power'. When the Mantis pad first came out (around 1990) we took an I132 and glued fins on it. Mashed the blast deflector flat and broke the rod support :) Went like the proverbial bat :D

Hard to tell because of the resolution, but I'm fairly sure those are commas rather than periods.

They better be (and I'm sure it is)!
Else, 9779 kg is about a ton, and would have been 1/60th of the Shuttle SRB total weight.

On the other hand, if AT offered a motor that had a metric ton worth of propellant ........ :D:cool::dancingelephant::blowingbubbles::goodjob:

Are we having problems with metrics??? 1 Kg equals 2.2 lbs......so 9.8 Kgs. is 21.546 lbs. That would be 1 heavy motor
Nope. Having a problem with vision. It looked like a period (9.778 grams) instead of a comma (9,778 grams).

Sorry..so it is 9.8 Kgs...wow..did not know high power motors could contain 22 lbs of fuel. Again sorry, I am only familiar with A-D's Estes BP motors.

I apologized

Sorry..so it is 9.8 Kgs...wow..did not know high power motors could contain 22 lbs of fuel. Again sorry, I am only familiar with A-D's Estes BP motors.
Don't apologise. Because the energy goes up double with each letter designation it is an exponential progression so can quite quickly get to some serious numbers. The human brain doesn't handle exponential progressions very intuitively.

Note that the price goes up exponentially as well. At a SRP of USD$2k it makes it just under $3000 Pacific Pesos (Australian dollars) :eek:. Might have been nice in my half-scale Nike Apache flight last year.

6/11/20

Several new items have been added to the RCS store:

38mm plastic casting tube
54mm plastic casting tube
29mm thick wall phenolic liner
29mm x 5.79" long thin wall fiberglass casing
29mm x 8.00" long thin wall fiberglass casing
29mm x 9.06" long thin wall fiberglass casing
29mm x 12.00" long thin wall fiberglass casing
38mm x 7.98" long thin wall fiberglass casing
38mm x 14.03" long thin wall fiberglass casing
54mm x 14.10" long thin wall fiberglass casing
54mm Warp-9™ propellant grain cast in plastic tube

Links to each item can be found on the home page of the RCS store at www.rocketmotorparts.com.

Back