$21.99 Der Big Red Max Kit on Amazon

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone have an extra decal sheet to spare? Somehow I lost the sheet with all the small decals - I still have the big "DRBM" skull wrap. If you have an extra (because you're kit bashing, maybe?) and wouldn't mind parting with it pm me.

like this? DM me.

2FA9256A-40CD-48D0-86DC-B2D7B4661479.jpeg

Well, you also have that amazing weather, right?
90° in the summer with 65% humidity is easier to handle with free Amazon shipping and bulk buying stores. I digress...

Last edited:
Flew Der Big Red Yellow & Blue Max on an F42 Saturday. Had planned a redux on the F67 today, but the winds were high enough I feared for the fins, papered though they are.
I almost flew the Citation Patriot/DBRM today despite the wind but didn't want to risk the expensive Stickershock decals. On a side note, LOC was talking about how their LOC nose cones have been on backorder for weeks but they have plenty of PML cones. The LOC cones looked like the DBRM cones but bigger.

IMG_0091.JPG

Just confirming these models will fly great on a D12-4 with downscaled motor mount, modified centering rings, and stuffer tube...

Also very effective at chasing away geese...

Nothing could chase away the Canada Geese that live in Denver. None of them have ever sniffed Canada. They just “migrate” from groomed city park to groomed city park.

Just confirming these models will fly great on a D12-4 with downscaled motor mount, modified centering rings, and stuffer tube...

Also very effective at chasing away geese...

Hey BMD, your video is gone! Did you fly your Max on an Estes BP D12?

Nothing could chase away the Canada Geese that live in Denver. None of them have ever sniffed Canada. They just “migrate” from groomed city park to groomed city park.
Canada geese should be classed as “vermin” like groundhogs so they can be eliminated year round - nasty, destructive critters!

I'd be surprised if a D12 didn't work reasonably well - it lifts a Super Big Bertha just fine (though a -3 delay is a requirement given the low apogee).

I'd be surprised if a D12 didn't work reasonably well - it lifts a Super Big Bertha just fine (though a -3 delay is a requirement given the low apogee).
Looking at the results on Thrustcurve I wouldn’t use a D12 with DBRM - less than 120 foot apogee and a 2 second recommended delay plus the slow launch speed doesn’t look like a good combo. But in next to no wind on a 4 ft rod or off a rail you could get away with it.

I’ve flown my SBB on a D12 in calm conditions and it worked ok - the E12 was much better.

Looking at the results on Thrustcurve I wouldn’t use a D12 with DBRM - less than 120 foot apogee and a 2 second recommended delay plus the slow launch speed doesn’t look like a good combo. But in next to no wind on a 4 ft rod or off a rail you could get away with it.

I’ve flown my SBB on a D12 in calm conditions and it worked ok - the E12 was much better.
That makes perfect sense - when I responded I was thinking about a Star Orbiter. Not sure how I confused which thread I was looking at.

I created a booster out of the Estes PSII booster by epoxy'ing the retainer ring to the booster connector. Should go to 1400' on a F15-0/F15-4. What could go wrong?
Double check the weight on that stack, I don't think your speed off the rod will be high enough for any cross breeze at all.

Just got a shipment notice for 3 DBRMs.

EDIT: I'll add that I ordered these on 6/12/22 at the $22 each. Just been waiting for inventory. Amazon actually contacted me twice since placing the order asking if I still wanted to keep the order or not. Easy reply. Yes.... Yes I do.

Last edited:
InnocentSociableAmurminnow-size_restricted.gif

Here's the fin pattern for the 266% Bandit upscale. The shape may not be perfect, but it is pretty darned close.

After a prolonged gestation the 226% Bandit project is back on track. Assembly is complete, the model has been primed, the white sections are painted, and the cut vinyl is in hand, sourced from Stickershock.

9867119F-901A-4CDE-92FC-FB1C0C89543D_1_201_a.jpeg

The vinyl from Stickershock is fantastic, but I question my ability to get that black & white circumferential wrap installed without drama and a remarkable exhibition of unsuitable language. I'd also like to stretch my masking and painting skills a bit, so we're going to paint this detail. First step in this process is to paint the white portions of the airframe with Tamiya TS-26 Pure White lacquer.

After allowing that to cure for a few days we can begin masking. Tamiya tape was used, and I apologize for failing to capture any photos of this step. The top and bottom edges were masked first, then alternating bits of 6mm and 10mm tape were applied for the segmented bits. The 10mm bits were then removed, overspray masks were put into place, and the roll pattern was sprayed with Tamiya TS-14 Black lacquer. Here's what the project looks like at this stage:

BCBE8424-5439-49D9-B68B-9D5C24FFF9FC_1_201_a.jpeg

The overspray masks are removed:
BB0A2003-3E65-4383-8B22-9591AFEA4850_1_201_a.jpeg

Next, the short vertical sections of 6mm tape are removed followed by the circumferential tape:
EEB2DF3F-0612-484D-81A8-5B25CA36E597.jpeg

Et voila! A perfectly applied painted roll pattern, and no foul language was required!
A104A371-4A32-4EBD-AA92-4C7CD039A660_1_201_a.jpeg

Next step will be to mask this and paint the yellow sections of the rocket. The upper and lower black stripes will be the last element to be painted.

More later,
James

After a prolonged gestation the 226% Bandit project is back on track. Assembly is complete, the model has been primed, the white sections are painted, and the cut vinyl is in hand, sourced from Stickershock.

View attachment 538952

The vinyl from Stickershock is fantastic, but I question my ability to get that black & white circumferential wrap installed without drama and a remarkable exhibition of unsuitable language. I'd also like to stretch my masking and painting skills a bit, so we're going to paint this detail. First step in this process is to paint the white portions of the airframe with Tamiya TS-26 Pure White lacquer.

After allowing that to cure for a few days we can begin masking. Tamiya tape was used, and I apologize for failing to capture any photos of this step. The top and bottom edges were masked first, then alternating bits of 6mm and 10mm tape were applied for the segmented bits. The 10mm bits were then removed, overspray masks were put into place, and the roll pattern was sprayed with Tamiya TS-14 Black lacquer. Here's what the project looks like at this stage:

View attachment 538953

The overspray masks are removed:
View attachment 538954

Next, the short vertical sections of 6mm tape are removed followed by the circumferential tape:
View attachment 538955

Et voila! A perfectly applied painted roll pattern, and no foul language was required!
View attachment 538956

Next step will be to mask this and paint the yellow sections of the rocket. The upper and lower black stripes will be the last element to be painted.

More later,
James
"remarkable exhibition of unsuitable language" is what I'm going to name my next scratch build LMFAO

Back