$21.99 Der Big Red Max Kit on Amazon

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@bad_idea Thanks for the mass reminder. I might end up over the total weight limit too, it's close. I probably would have remembered the propellant limit, but not till later. Guess (3) AeroTech F44 or F32 then. I think they stay under the limits. ( will check tomorrow) But as spread out as the motors are, I feel better about lighting BP. I also like the longer burn time. (Maybe I'll fly at the HP site for first flight.)

@bad_idea Thanks for the mass reminder. I might end up over the total weight limit too, it's close. I probably would have remembered the propellant limit, but not till later. Guess (3) AeroTech F44 or F32 then. I think they stay under the limits. ( will check tomorrow) But as spread out as the motors are, I feel better about lighting BP. I also like the longer burn time. (Maybe I'll fly at the HP site for first flight.)
Composites propellant is much lighter. F44 is 20g, F32 is 31 or 38 depending which F32 you mean. Those are all 24mm motors though.

In DBRM-native 29mm, the F42 is 27g, and the F67 is 30g. And then there is the baby-G G74W which at 39g of propellant seems tailor made for 3-motor Class 1 clusters.

Clustering composites requires great faith in one's igniters though. Definitely not as straightforward as black powder.

My kit was delivered today. Unfortunately when I opened the kit box it was missing the bag with the fins/CR/decals/instructions. At first glance it didn't look to be opened but when I took a better look at the bottom tape seal it definitely looked like it had been opened previously. Return/Replacement in process so hopefully the next one is complete.

My kit was delivered today. Unfortunately when I opened the kit box it was missing the bag with the fins/CR/decals/instructions. At first glance it didn't look to be opened but when I took a better look at the bottom tape seal it definitely looked like it had been opened previously. Return/Replacement in process so hopefully the next one is complete.

Wonder if they let you keep the incomplete kit or make you return it...

Seeing as I'm in the UK I have to hope that I get a pristine, unopened box. Sending stuff back to the US would be very costly as I don't have access to the logistics services Amazon do. I could not ship a faulty rocket kit back to the US for the $10 I paid to have it shipped here!

Got mine today and use my hotel points on Amazon for only $0 out of pocket. Ordering the Vander-Burn plywood upgrade now. Going to fin a fin can with a cut tube like the LOC Precision kits. Already ran the OpenRock with a G80-7, 1485 ft. My MDRM on a G80 was only at 1073 ft. I want a nice candy apple red

Happy, Happy, Happy....

1648596471616.png

They must be getting low again….the delivery time has gone from a day or two to possibly May. So I finally spent some points and ordered two anyway….

Well, I just got an update from Amazon that changed the projected delivery from between mid-April and early May to this coming Friday or Saturday. Whattaya know.

Mine arrived, and I'm impressed! Very quick shipping across the Atlantic from Amazon. To my door in the UK in around 7 days. Now I'm looking at Cesaroni Pro29 starter kits and reloads. Man, they're not cheap! Almost $30 USD for a 2 grain reload. Is that normal, or just us getting a raw deal in the UK as usual?

Mine arrived, and I'm impressed! Very quick shipping across the Atlantic from Amazon. To my door in the UK in around 7 days. Now I'm looking at Cesaroni Pro29 starter kits and reloads. Man, they're not cheap! Almost $30 USD for a 2 grain reload. Is that normal, or just us getting a raw deal in the UK as usual?
Stateside I would normally recommend the Aerotech 29/40-120 casing and the g64 white reload, but I have no idea on availability or cost over there.

Does the included estes plastic retainer work with the AT 29/40-120 case and the SU motors?

I don't know about the AeroTech RMS-29/40-120 case but the Estes plastic motor retainer does work with AT single-use motors along with the Estes 29mm-24mm motor adapters.

In case anyone hasn't seen it there is an interesting tweak on this kit:

Just a note:
Actually that was a Der Red Max for the small ones, and then the MEGA Der Red Max. (4" Size) The Mega went away due to it being too heavy for the Estes Motors. You could do the same kit-bash wth with the Der Big Red Max (3" size) in this thread and the current Amazon sale. But you would need to adjust the dimensions of the parts.

Launch Lab has a massive 1% April Fools' Day sale right now. 🤣 Use code MEGASALE for a jaw-dropping, genuine one whole percent discount on the Vanderburn plywood upgrade for the DBRM.

Today only. Not sure what time zone Launch Lab is in, so might have to hurry if you want one.

(Also, I hear that if you have a sense of humor, you get a bigger discount. Not sure how they can tell if you do, but I tried the code, and it was true. :D)

Drat, more in stock again! Isn't 4 of these enough? :eek:
I don't know about you, but I think 6 *MIGHT* be enough (at least for the flying builds that I have planned)... BUT I'd need backups for those (in case one or more gets damaged)... So, the proper amount I need is N+6

Another reason to buy a DBRM.
Upgrade kit to kitbash a DBRM to a 3" Citation Patriot.
Galactic Manufacturing also has the plywood fins and CR’s set for the upscaled citation patriot.
https://galacticmanufacturing.com/products/copy-of-3-diameter-citation-patriot-upscale-parts-kit
Dry fitted here. Still have to decide whether to go with Stickershock vinyl or upscaled home printed decals with gold monokote tape.
0402220427[1].jpg
Thanks to TigerHawk for the lead, Galactic Manufg. for the kit and James Duffy for the inspiration.

Launch Lab has a massive 1% April Fools' Day sale right now. 🤣 Use code MEGASALE for a jaw-dropping, genuine one whole percent discount on the Vanderburn plywood upgrade for the DBRM.

Today only. Not sure what time zone Launch Lab is in, so might have to hurry if you want one.

(Also, I hear that if you have a sense of humor, you get a bigger discount. Not sure how they can tell if you do, but I tried the code, and it was true. :D)
Ask for some Ulysses Unicorn Love on your next order

They're out of current stock, but the price is simply too good, so I went ahead and ordered one for the cousin I've been trying to drag back into rocketry. When it arrives, I can advise him on where to buy all of the ruinously expensive gear he needs - or at least will inevitably buy - to be a proper rocketeer. 🤣

Edit: After some reflection, I decided this wasn't a good reintroduction and cancelled the order. I'll take a kit of some kind with me when I next visit, but probably something a little lighter that can fly well on a C or D as well as midpower motors. Much easier to talk through what goes into a good build in person than remotely.

Last edited:
Just order my upgrade kit from Vander-Burn. I'm thinking of doing a DBRM Build tread here when I start.
Estes Der Big Red Max Vander-Burn Plywood Upgrade Kit

Question for all of you, has anyone, ordered a longer 29 mm MMT? for their upgrade. If so what size and did you change the spacing on the rings or added a fourth one? I plan on using AT-G80 and up. I plan on using my JLCR and my RocketMan chute. Cool Idea was to use the Jolly Roger chute as a streamer with just two lines on the bottom kinda like a flag. Of course, I'm going to use rail buttons instead of the 1/4 lugs. I'm also going to use a U-Bolt and a 1/8" Tubular Kevlar 12' cord.
1650065409423.png

Last edited:
Back