Airbrush

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am considering purchasing an airbrush after looking at a couple models on the Harbor Freight site. I realize these are not high end professional models. So anyway I am wondering what brand airbrush paint is most often used by everyone here on the forum?

THX in advance!

If you insist on "airbrush" paint then Createx has the best. It's an Acrylic. HOWEVER; you don't need airbrush paint. I've been an airbrush artist and professional painter for 28 years and have used "airbrush" paint possibly a dozen times. Any paint will do as long as you reduce it to spray viscosity. Typically something around the consistance of milk (just a tad thicker than water). 19 to 25 seconds on a #2 Zahn cup if you have access to one. I have been known to take rattlecan paint and shoot it into a color jar directly. It's pre thinned and probably already matches what you're working on. Duplicolor "Painy Shop" line is awsome and spray ready. Available from any auto parts store.
As for the airbrush itself; I have a number of Thayer Vega 2000's but I swear by Iwata. The Iwata Eclips is a great hobby brush. The Airbrush Depot is a great online resource, https://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/ Stear clear os single action external mix. They are very limited in function. Internal mix duel action will satisfy anything a hobbyist might encounter. FWIW.

Last edited:
I have a dual action Paashe and an Aztec--Prefer the Paashe. As for paint--I spray anything , just reduce it yourself.

I am considering purchasing an airbrush after looking at a couple models on the Harbor Freight site. I realize these are not high end professional models. So anyway I am wondering what brand airbrush paint is most often used by everyone here on the forum?

THX in advance!

Different people who use airbrushes for their rockets have their own personal preference when it comes to the paints they use. Since I also build plastic model planes, I use acrylic hobby paints (Testors, Tamiya, Vallejo, etc) These are easy to find in my LHS and are reasonably priced. I would encourage you to experiement with various paint brands to see which you would like to use. Searching through the links here on TRF, you will find excellent information that can help you decide. Also check out scale model sites to get more info on the different paint brands.

I have multiple airbrushes ranging from a $10 single action I bought 30 years ago to a nice Paasche H single action that is very nice.

The one I use most commonly is the $10 one as it's the easiest to clean the work I do is rarely that exacting/detail oriented.

Airbrushing is skill you develop with practice. Nothing wrong with starting out at the low end of the price spectrum to get your feet wet. If you decide you want to go further with it, you can always upgrade your equipment.

I occasionally look at the Iwata airbrushes at the LHS but can't really justify the purchase...too many reloads I still haven't tried.

o1d dude makes a great point, often overlooked. DO THE MAINTENANCE on your airbrush--clean it after every use and it will last you a lifetime. My Paashe is well over 30 years old and is like new.

The Badger airbrush site has a garage sale section where they sell virtuallyi new airbrushes for about 80% off. Many are brand new but with some engraving on the barrel that was a mistake. Great deals.

snip...
As for the airbrush itself; I have a number of Thayer Vega 2000's but I swear by Iwata. The Iwata Eclips is a great hobby brush. The Airbrush Depot is a great online resource, https://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/ Stear clear os single action external mix. They are very limited in function. Internal mix duel action will satisfy anything a hobbyist might encounter. FWIW.
Interesting. Nice to hear a recommendation from a pro user. All my double actions are ancient. The newest is a Thayer Chandler from '75. A couple of Paasches and Wold's from the fifties or sixties. Nice airbrushes, but they all need parts and new beeswax seals. I used an Iwata (borrowed) once for a nail painting demo I did for my daughter's nail class and that brush had a mighty fine action.

Back