Official AIRFest 19 Info and Updates

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On Sunday, we did a father-son drag race with an Estes Saturn V and a Semroc Saturn 1B.
AIRFest 13 002.jpg
I got a jump off the pad but we both reached similar altitude and had successful deployments.

AIRFest 13 005.jpg
But you just can't beat a stuck landing like this! Its like the tree reached out and guided it in.

AIRFest 13 003.jpg
Setting up for launch on the 50s rack with the Kansas State Flower framing the action. Can you name the folks in the photo?

Last edited:
Wayco and I got to the Airfest Site at noon on Thursday and set up camp next to the Grippo's

011.jpg

Andrew made this wonderful Alligator dish

024.jpg

My first flight was my just finished WildChild. I didn't quite believe CJ when he told me to put in a tracker and it was promptly lost in the fields. :blush: Someone found it later and returned it to RSO (thank you very much whoever you are)

013.jpg

My next flight on Friday was my "Dark Jart" which was my first dual deploy (thanks again to CJ for helping me to set it up). Of course, it would have been better to actually attach the parachute. Here is what it looked like after landing

023.jpg

One cracked fin repair and it was good to go again. I also learned to attach the tracker with electrical tape not masking tape on this flight :facepalm: The tracker transmitter had ripped off the shock cord and I didn't even notice until back in camp so Wayco and I went back out and found the transmitter - and unattached parachute - in the field a few feet away from where I had found the Dark Jart. Lots of lessons learned in that one flight.....

The next morning Tim and Jackie of Wildman fame explained to us how the Alien Probes work (I presume it's ok to post half-naked pictures of Tim in this forum? :eyepop:)

037.jpg

But here is the only picture I got of them at launch time:

096.jpg

Tim's didn't fare as well as the others:

107.jpg

More later

The Arizona Rocketry Team was having a wonderful airfest

Before

118.jpg

121.jpg

123.jpg

After:

124.jpg

Joyce is so cute:

127.jpg

Roy looks like he is crossing the Delaware (well, in mirror image that is.....):

128.jpg

Great job!

Here is Wayne contemplating his BlackStar, big thanks to StickerShock for creating a wonderful holographic decal:

129.jpg

I did find this video of the aliens, but it is not very good:

I forget who's Rocket this was but I did catch some of the breakup on this video:

Wayco and I had a great time, we only lost one Black Walrus chair (I think it traveled on to a new home) and my LOC Hi Tension Rocket which had a 1 grain 54 mm CTI Load burn through the casing and the rocket:

143.jpg

144.jpg

Tim took care of me immediately with a new casing and motor even though he was packing up to leave. Thank you Mr. Wildman!

Wayco spent some time volunteering on Monday and Terry let me come around and push buttons on the rockets.

149.jpg

Terry then introduced us to "Bob Brown":

147.jpg

I was a bit confused since I though the big guy (no, not Terry - the OTHER big guy) was Bob Brown.....:confused:

That was the AZRT 20X Alpha that shredded the fins

Fin Flutter on a HUGE Surface!

Now that I've finally go a day of rest to catch up on a lot of needed sleep, I wanted to give thanks to some folks.
Thank you Bdale, Keith and the rest of the guys from Colorado and Australia who helped me load up/move all my stuff a couple times. It only takes a minute or so when you've got 7-8 guys. Thank you SO MUCH! I think you guys saved my back!

Thank you to my customers and dealers who made the trip worth while, and thank you to the Kloudbusters who put on another spectacular rocket launch and made it an enjoyable trip regardless of the business outcome.

Thank you to Andrew and Cindy Grippo for a most wonderful Cajun dish. I had two plates it was that good!

Thank you to Wayne and Sharon for being great neighbors and providing constant smiles.

Thank you to Craig Shore for the use of room in his trailer. You also saved my back!

Thank you to Lou Goldring for taking the great long distance photos provided below (it was great to see you Lou and sorry for hacking up your last name), and thank you Bdale for loading up the M-3300 to test fly for me.

I had a great time. Thank you everyone.

Tim Dixons Pheonix on an M-900 red. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoZDe9eLYDg

Mike Hall's 4 " rocket riding a 76/6000 M-2550 Loki Blue
M_2550_Airfest_19.jpg

M2550_Airfest_19.jpg

Bdale's 4" x 8+ foot tall rocket riding on a 76/8000 M-3300 Loki Blue and sporting the latest greatest Tele Metrum electronics all the way to 19,000 and almost mach 2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqHbk032enk
M3300_2Airfest_19.jpg

M3300_1Airfest_19.jpg

Last edited:
Justin, David. The M-3300 will be a commercial load as soon as I can get more made and get them sent in for testing with a few other motors, but that's far easier said than done. It uses the stock #56 nozzle that the M-3000 Loki White uses. I must say, I haven't made a motor that I have enjoyed seeing fly so much as this one in a while.

Justin, David. The M-3300 will be a commercial load as soon as I can get more made and get them sent in for testing with a few other motors, but that's far easier said than done. It uses the stock #56 nozzle that the M-3000 Loki White uses. I must say, I haven't made a motor that I have enjoyed seeing fly so much as this one in a while.

I want one. Booster motor for a 4" to 4" two stage. :grin:

Justin

Whew, now that I've had a week to recover, unpack, clean up, etc, I'd like to thank the Kloudbusters for hosting a great launch as always. Also, a big thank you to Chuck Swindler and Manny for helping me with my flights. I only had two, but they were successful. The 3" minimum diameter Arcas went 30,358 feet and Mach 2.29 on a CTI M2020 IMax. The 'old school' Concept 98 minimum diameter went 20,472 feet on a 4 grain 98 CCW M motor.

Also, a big 'no thank you' to Fabiola's Restaurant in Wellington for being closed on Mondays. They foiled the tear down crew's dinner plans and we ended up at the A&W. Though we did hear a good story about how onion rings were unavailable because the only person who knew how to make them was in jail :)

Hope to see everyone next year!

Here are a few pics from the trip:

I ran into these guys three times; once in Iowa, once in Missouri and once in Kansas
af1.JPG

Everything is fine in Iowa...
af2.JPG

Not so much in Missouri
af3.jpg

CJ is not impressed
af4.jpg

Arcas ready to go, a rocket on the wire in the background
af5.JPG

Mach rash
af6.jpg

The ZL1 Camaro corral
af8.jpg

Manny getting all Manny-style; Kevin wants no part of it ;)
af9.JPG

The sun sets on another Airfest
af7.JPG

Whew, now that I've had a week to recover, unpack, clean up, etc, I'd like to thank the Kloudbusters for hosting a great launch as always. Also, a big thank you to Chuck Swindler and Manny for helping me with my flights. I only had two, but they were successful. The 3" minimum diameter Arcas went 30,358 feet and Mach 2.29 on a CTI M2020 IMax. The 'old school' Concept 98 minimum diameter went 20,472 feet on a 4 grain 98 CCW M motor.
Great flights Chuck! Sorry I didn't have my camera for the liftoff shots :(

Might have to look into how much it will cost to get to AIRFest next year looks like it was a lot of fun and a great place to fly.

TA

Finally got around to unbuttoning this thing to pull out the alts. Unfortunately, I have misplaced my Perfectflite converter board (boy I wish someone would just make a cable, assuming that is all that is needed, to connect a Missileworks converter board to an SL100 then we wouldn't need two boards and two cables around) so I only have a graph from the RRC3. The Perfectflite beeped out 10,017 ft (still does). The RRC3 was considerably lower at 9985 ft. The later comes closer to my sims (and I will take the later as the waiver at the time was 10kft and I don't want to incur the wrath of Bob Brown :eek:). Velocity was calculated at ~Mach 1.15.

PhoenixFlightAirfest19.JPG

The Perfectflite beeped out 10,017 ft (still does). The RRC3 was considerably lower at 9985 ft. The later comes closer to my sims (and I will take the later as the waiver at the time was 10kft and I don't want to incur the wrath of Bob Brown :eek:). Velocity was calculated at ~Mach 1.15.
View attachment 148162

Tim - I dont think that I would consider a 32 foot difference at 10K a considerable difference.

No matter how you look at it, it was a great flight !

Tim - I dont think that I would consider a 32 foot difference at 10K a considerable difference.

No matter how you look at it, it was a great flight !

Yeah, I was exaggerating to keep Bob from worrying too much.

We have been keeping this under wraps until it was official, and now it is soooooo

While we were in Argonia for AIRFest we were approached and asked if we would consider taking part in a commercial, we agreed to hear what they had in mind.

On Friday the guys that were going to shoot the commercial showed up and were introduced to us by Bob Brown, the one behind it all. They told us what they had in mind and we agreed.

Jay, Greg and I played our parts while they shot the footage and then headed off.

Today I received an e-mail with a link to this

[YOUTUBE]krUJQCvFB-Q[/YOUTUBE]

While some of it did wind up on the "cutting room floor" we did end up in the commercial. I can not remember who's rocket flew but I do remember that it was a K700.

We have been keeping this under wraps until it was official, and now it is soooooo

While we were in Argonia for AIRFest we were approached and asked if we would consider taking part in a commercial, we agreed to hear what they had in mind.

On Friday the guys that were going to shoot the commercial showed up and were introduced to us by Bob Brown, the one behind it all. They told us what they had in mind and we agreed.

Jay, Greg and I played our parts while they shot the footage and then headed off.

Today I received an e-mail with a link to this

[YOUTUBE]krUJQCvFB-Q[/YOUTUBE]

While some of it did wind up on the "cutting room floor" we did end up in the commercial. I can not remember who's rocket flew but I do remember that it was a K700.

This was on TV last Sunday during a football game. Not sure which channel.

Latest posts

Back