Official AIRFest 19 Info and Updates

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to whoever brought in the BBB (bent ballistic booster section) of our ill-fated white 3" LOC Shadowhawk - we were too busy miles south chasing the payload bay/nose cone under that big chute. We did happen to come across an SDR (small dark rocket) in the north 40 and dropped it off at the RSO tent late Sunday - maybe it was one of those sparkies that someone said they lost. Son Ben achieved his NAR L1 with an H128 in an Aerotech Arcas (thanks Kevin Ruland of KCAR!) and we launched all but one of the fleet we brought with us. Great learning experience volunteering as asst. LCO under Terry and seeing up close what it takes to run a successful large launch. Thanks to KLOUDBusters for hosting!

AIRFest 13 010.jpgAIRFest 13 002.jpgIMG_3709.2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Kevin, I didn't mean to be negative with my other post, just tired and wanted to give all my buddies back home an update before we crashed for the night.

Oh, no worries -- I just know there are folks who aren't familiar with the Argonia field, so I wanted them to understand why you said what you did. :)

We hooked up with a great group from down south that included Whitney and Andrew and Crystal Grippo.

Some really great people there!

I volunteered to help the LSO spot rockets and met Terry who was announcing the flights. Another great guy who came by our camp and talked to us for a while. I think the only time he got quiet was when I told him my job description..... Sharon ended up launching rockets with us for the two hours I was on duty.

Ah, yes, Mr Smemo! Terry is a boundless source of entertainment, and great fun! He's also one of the few people who can make me seem quiet.... :)

-Kevin

Wayne, what was your max altitude on this one? I flew mine on a similar motor (5 grain "K" Sparky research motor) and got 7168' out of it.

You definitely out-performed my 9 lb. rocket, but the K454 was a 4 grain sparky motor. I got 5781 ft. on that flight.

I would also like to mention how much we appreciate the return of Sharon's Wild Child. If anyone has any info. on who found it, we would love to hear about it.

One other mention should be given to our other next door neighbor, Scott with LOKI motors. His new "Tropical Cocktail" took the Bunny for quite a ride! Got quite a deal on that reload too. 7859 ft. at over 600 mph. He was very informative on what he was doing, and built that motor on our table so we could watch. Then showed me what it looks like after it was burned. Great info. When he sends me the pictures of that flight, I will post them up.

Just walked in the house here back in Indiana and, remembered i needed to thank TWO people for *informing* me of something i didn't know........

Special thanks too....Chuck "Speedy" Haskin and, Sharon Hodges for letting me know that i talk in person like i post:confused:

Weally?:surprised:

I guess if you can't laugh at yourself then you shouldn't be doing this for a hobby!;)

Never said i was the brightest bulb on the chandelier of life......but, i'm glad SOME of those bulbs let me hang around them and, sometimes ask a question or two.....now and, then!:D

Manny and, i parted ways an hour north of Kansas City and, he called when i was outside of Springfield.....He is NOW safely back in the safety of Iowa State University.
Lord have mercy......

Although yesterday it got a little tense when someone ran out of fuel helping "Uncle Gus" get his rocket back........
Technically i think it would have been considered Assault and, Battery if i would have resorted too a *Remote Spanking* in the field.....

I still love him though.......like a child i had.....that i didn't know about......for like 25 years......or so........:rolleyes:

P.S..... Cliff Dawg you have been changed from "The Screws" too "Screws" on the Custom Ink master as of tonight....for your CRM shirt.

Last edited:
TO2.jpg

Looking for pictures or video of this rocket.

We launched on Saturday, just before the upscale alpha. The rocket was launched from the 80's and was a minimum diameter P going towards 40k. We arrived back at the flight line to hear the last of the flight card being read over the PA and were unable to capture Video or pictures, other then this one. If you were taking pictures or video that day and have coverage of our flight/event it would be greatly appreciated for part of our review of the anomaly.

Thank you,
Peter

View attachment 144438

Looking for pictures or video of this rocket.

We launched on Saturday, just before the upscale alpha. The rocket was launched from the 80's and was a minimum diameter P going towards 40k. We arrived back at the flight line to hear the last of the flight card being read over the PA and were unable to capture Video or pictures, other then this one. If you were taking pictures or video that day and have coverage of our flight/event it would be greatly appreciated for part of our review of the anomaly.

Thank you,
Peter

Check with llminijpc she was taking pics all weekend.

Well as always the KLOUDBusters do a great job.

Gus - glad I had an extra dowel and your flight was screaming.
Tim D - the epitome of patience - the Phoenix was an awesome flight.

I did set a few personal milestones
1) I flew the biggest motor that I have made - the N motor in the N'osquito
2) Hightest flight on a motor I made - @7500' (I am waiting for the final data)
3) Fastest flight on a motor I made - broke Mach (I am waiting for the final fligh data)

#2&3 were on a K939ish wimpy red on a friends 4" Thor.

Well as always the KLOUDBusters do a great job.

Gus - glad I had an extra dowel and your flight was screaming.
Tim D - the epitome of patience - the Phoenix was an awesome flight.

3) Fastest flight on a motor I made - broke Mach (I am waiting for the final fligh data)

#2&3 were on a K939ish wimpy red on a friends 4" Thor.

Yes indeed!!

Was my first one, and I am still uploading pics even though I have no video of my only launch! LOL

Oh and for those that are wondering.....

Troj decided instead of cooking AZRT breakfast with the intact ostrich egg that survived the flight in the Scrambler he tried to eat it !,,,

image.jpg

There is shell on his tongue.

Just walked in the house here back in Indiana and, remembered i needed to thank TWO people for *informing* me of something i didn't know........

Special thanks too....Chuck "Speedy" Haskin and, Sharon Hodges for letting me know that i talk in person like i post:confused:

Weally?:surprised:

I guess if you can't laugh at yourself then you shouldn't be doing this for a hobby!;)

Never said i was the brightest bulb on the chandelier of life......but, i'm glad SOME of those bulbs let me hang around them and, sometimes ask a question or two.....now and, then!:D

Manny and, i parted ways an hour north of Kansas City and, he called when i was outside of Springfield.....He is NOW safely back in the safety of Iowa State University.
Lord have mercy......

Although yesterday it got a little tense when someone ran out of fuel helping "Uncle Gus" get his rocket back........
Technically i think it would have been considered Assault and, Battery if i would have resorted too a *Remote Spanking* in the field.....

I still love him though.......like i child i had.....that i didn't know about......for like 25 years......or so........:rolleyes:

P.S..... Cliff Dawg you have been changed from "The Screws" too "Screws" on the Custom Ink master as of tonight....for your CRM shirt.

So, just out of curiousity, how did you get back to the launch site? I saw the rocket land, but by the time i got back to look for it, you must have recovered it and left. Then Manny showed up. He thought you might be laying out in the corn someplace.

Jim

Another great Airfest. I launched my 54 on a K300 to 23,424' on Friday, then an L935 to 24,508' on Saturday. It got up to 2086 mph on the L. First time I've stripped the paint off :grin: Got to love the recovery area out here. I also destroyed my Competitor 4 which didn't get a drogue event unfortunately. Looking forward to next year.

DSCF0124.jpg

DSCF0125.jpg

DSCF0104.jpg

Why is it that I have a sneaking suspicion that the Venus Probes action was not quite what was intended? Any more pics and/or info on these?

Three of the four flew well; the fourth, the motor adapter failed and the motor went up through the rocket.

I have pictures of one of them; I missed seeing the other three fly. I'll try to post it tonight.

They worked very well.

-Kevin

4) You went more than an hour at the Pasture without hurting yourself. :)

Nicely done by AZRT on the projects, and it was great fun playing with you folks! Let me think on it for a bit, and I'll come up with a challenge for you, for next year....

-Kevin

So, just out of curiousity, how did you get back to the launch site? I saw the rocket land, but by the time i got back to look for it, you must have recovered it and left. Then Manny showed up. He thought you might be laying out in the corn someplace.

Jim

:caffeine:The Critter from Indiana is awake again.....

It was a very painless recovery from the Milo, east of the Dixon Rd/K-44 junction Jim...... Quite surprisingly quick too!:D
After getting some water, a wrench and, my tracker out of the "I ain't got no gas....Manny wagon" i simply walked down the road about an 1/8 of a mile and, walked straight into the Milo about 100'.
There she was.:D
A quick inspection/reassemble and, i was back out to the road.....with rocket on my shoulder. That's when Tom G. and, his son stopped by offering a ride back to the pasture.....

THANK-YOU again.......

My goal was just to walk down to that intersection and, camp out till Man-well came back....fueled up and, carrying some of my cigarettes i left behind.

The funny thing is that Tom KNEW who i was.....:surprised: (I think the shirt gave it away.) and, was more than gracious too help out.
The best part about this hobby is the people, always the people.

Later on myself and, my favorite "illegit" son had too have that talk....
When one goes to a rocket launch...
1. For one day.
2. Multiple days.
One brings...
1. Rocket Stuff.
a. Don't forget your dowel.:rolleyes:
2. Food.
3. Water.
4. A FULL tank of fuel.
If ONE forgets ANY of these items.....when out looking for said items.
1. Don't take ALL OF GUS'S CIGARETTES with you.
(Back me up Chuck...i clearly said "Take one pack out of my carton when.....you....come.....back......")

Oh yah, and, go out and, look for the people you've ALWAYS wanted too met/talk to like Jim Jarvis......
DANGIT!!! I KNEW i forgot something....:facepalm:
Nice two stage flight on Sunday Jim!:wave:

Special thanks too....Chuck "Speedy" Haskin and, Sharon Hodges for letting me know that i talk in person like i post

Really? I read your posts as you bouncing from thought to thought, but in person you don't strike me that way.

Oh, and we need to discuss young Manny. I may have a favor to ask of you for MWP.... :D

(Hey, Manny? You need to be awake before Gus, too!)

-Kevin

Oh, and we need to discuss young Manny. I may have a favor to ask of you for MWP.... :D

(Hey, Manny? You need to be awake before Gus, too!)

-Kevin

I'll be there for 3 1/2 days.....all day long......
Youth and, enthusiasm can be easily be defeated by "older age" and, treachery......times...2!;)

On second thought.....scratch that.

1. Troj.:D
2. Mad Bomber.:)
3. Griffin.:rolleyes:
4. Crazy Jim.:p
5. Timmy.;)
6. The Gus.:cool:

Versus.....

1. Squirt.:eek:

Kevin? Can you believe that....J.J. knew who i was? I'd give my right arm.....to camp out in his and, Greg Grabeki's backyard for a week at a time just to learn the techniques of carbon construction from the REAL masters.....

Woooo......:surprised:

The best part about this hobby is the people, always the people.

I have to agree Gus. It was great meeting you and talking to you at the registration table Sunday morning.

My daughter and I were rushing around to get pulled out by 3pm on Monday so she could be home for volleyball practice. In our haste dad forgot to put the anti-sway bar on the trailer. I realized this after we had already driven out Eden road and were heading North on the Argonia road. I wasn't really wanting to drive back to the pasture at 15mph again. So while looking for a way to contact a fellow Kloudbuster on my phone a couple guys from Denver, sorry didn't get your names, pulled up and asked me what I needed. They gladly took me back to the pasture to retrieve said bar and we were off and still got home for Janett to make it to volleyball practice! Thanks Guys!

Last edited:
My daughter and I were rushing around to get pulled out by 3pm on Monday so she could be home for volleyball practice. In our haste dad forgot to put the anti-sway bar on the trailer. I realized this after we had already driven out Eden road and were heading North on the Argonia road. I wasn't really wanting to drive back to the pasture at 15mph again. So while looking for a way to contact a fellow Kloudbuster on my phone a couple guys from Denver, sorry didn't get your names, pulled up and asked me what I needed. They gladly took me back to the pasture to retrieve said bar and we were off and still got home for Janett to make it to volleyball practice! Thanks Guys!

There's something too be said about a hobby where you can help a 60 year old man get his L-1 on a simple motor eject H motor.
You can help someone get their L3 as they are celebrating their 18th birthday..

The guy next too you has a Phd. in Engineering.
The other guy next too you drives a garbage truck..

The person you ask advice for has a mind like a trap.
The other person..:rolleyes: is dyslexic and, spends 14 hours a night driving around in circles...:rolleyes: pondering neat and, exciting venues for his brief but, limited *monkey brain* capabilities....:rolleyes:

The guy next too you has never kissed a girl.
The other guy next too you has been *ejected* from a bar, by a red headed woman.....head first.

It goes on and, on....:D

The Kloudbusters put on another successful event! I didn't get to arrive until late Fri night. Launched darn near everything I had brought. Some several times. Terry and Bob really have a good time on the mic, makes it fun for us too.
Earned my Level 1 with my Mega Max on an H87 Imax. Flew it twice more on monday. All three were great flights.

Gotta get things ready for Distant Thunder now.

See you at the pasture!

See ya,
Rod

Hey Lance
Just wandering if it would be possible to set up a mist cooling or some sort of cooling station at the well?
Bob could give showers, he is good at it and they do feel good in 100 degree heat.
How much demand can the well support?
Best used for emergencies only?
How many times this weekend do you think Bob will say. "Take some water with you".
I always appreciate his advice on this.
Bottom line is it is going to be nasty hot and we all need to do what we can to deal with it.
Larry - Sorry I didn't respone. I left home on Thursday at noon, so I missed your message.

Probably a pretty good idea, except that over time we might have wound up with a mud-hole on the driveway. BTW, Rick claims he has never run the well so that it was anything but full force. That things moves A LOT of water. At 55F, it is a great refresher when needed.

Nice seeing you all again!

--Lance.

So...I was visiting my mom in Oklahoma this week, and I was able to make my way up to the promised land on Sunday. Even though I wasn't able to fly anything, it was great to see so many fantastic projects go up. Next year, I am definitely going to bring something to fly. Great job KloudBusters!

Cheers,
Michael

Had a great time putting faces to all the TRF folks. Big thanks to Kloudbusters for an awesome event. Thanks to all the vendors especially Scott from Loki for some great motors. Thanks Tim for the steak dinner Fri. night and the Alligator sauce picant
Sat night from the Louisiana crew was out of site! Spent the 4 hr. drive home yesterday swatting flies. Here is one of my favorite times of day.sunrise2.jpg

My thanks also to the Kloudbusters. First rate as always.

And thanks to the folks that helped out with the estate sale for Glen's widow. Everything got distributed as planned and a lot of the remainder got sold. That really helps!

My launch report is pretty simple. I launched my Big Daddy on a J244 on Saturday. It's supposed to go to around 9,000 feet. Since it's single deploy, I had to watch it all of the way down. About half way, the Alpha launched, and I couldn't watch it. Dang!

I launched my two-stage on Sunday afternoon after the clouds cleared. It was a nice, pretty flight against the clear sky. I really enjoy that rocket! I hope someone got a video of it. This year, a sustainer inhibit was required for two-stagers with K or above motors. I used a Raven for that, with the logic that it would light the sustainer igniter at 2400 feet if the time was less than 7 seconds. You can see from the attached pic where the sustainer igniter fired, and that I beat the clock by about a second. Pretty much as planned. I must have used too big of an igniter because the motor came up to pressure almost instantly.

Jim

Airfest 2013 Nathan II PNG.jpg

I thought I would post these pictures. I sent them to my wife when I was out doing a recovery this past weekend. She got a kick out of them and quickly stated that these pictures are the reason she didn't accompany me to Kansas. But I thought they would be very good to post for those that haven't been to Airfest and they would help you to make the decision to come next year. Besides the 50,000 foot waiver below is an example of the landing area--soft loamy dirt for miles on end (the sequence is about a 300 degree panorama around the front of my vehicle). They say Black Rock is the HPR mecca, but Argonia can't be that far off... Oh, and yes, one gratuitous pic of my Phoenix before going up on a Loki M900 Red (so I could test the 10 attachment limit ;)).

20130901_174031.jpg
20130901_174030.jpg
20130901_174028.jpg
20130901_174027.jpg
20130901_174025.jpg
20130901_174024.jpg
20130901_174022.jpg
20130901_174020.jpg
20130901_174019.jpg
20130901_153631.jpg

20130901_153631.jpg

Back