May Best Rocket Competition LPR

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pantherjon

Reaction score
A little tardy, but here it is..Our sponsor for this month's competition is FlisKits! Go check out all the coolness that FlisKits has to offer! Scroll down and find out what this months theme and prize is!

This is the official location of The Rocketry Forum Best Rocket Competition. This is a monthly event to show off your "stuff" and find out who has THE BEST ROCKET OF THE MONTH! When entering, make sure you follow the criteria listed below and you will do fine. From the 21st(or there about) until the end of the month we'll be polling to see who should win the Best Rocket Competition.

Whenever I can get appropriate sponsorships for the month there will be 2 contests. One will be strictly LOW POWER(F impulse and below) and the other will be MPR/HPR(G impulse and higher). So double check to make sure you entering in the correct 'power level' thread! Only ONE entry per person per month(no entering BOTH LPR and MPR/HPR in a single given month!). The thread titles will reflect the power level: XXX Best Rocket Competition LPR or XXX Best Rocket Competition MPR/HPR.

Da Rulez

1. Header of picture should include, name, what kit or was it custom, LPR, MPR or HPR. Example: LPR Estes Hijinx..Put this in the 'title' block when posting.
2. A BRIEF description of rocket details. Anything that would make it apparent to somebody that yours is THE BEST.
3. Only ONE entry per month.
4. Please no extended off topic conversations.
5. Rockets made at any period of time may be used.Rocket needs to be in your possession/fleet at the time of the competition!
5A. Rockets entered MUST have at least one successful flight. Not simulated, but real world flying through the sky type..with successful recovery.
6. Rocket may be entered into the current months competition only ONCE! Rocket may be entered into a following months competition if it fits the given category.
7. If there is a monthly specified type of contest (such as red, white and blue themed), you can only enter rockets that are applicable.
8. Entries will be taken first 3 weeks of month and after the 21st of every month the contest closes.
9. The last week of the month we will be polling on who should win in each class.
10. Winners get bragging rights for a month!

Theme

Let's get some of those creative juices flowing! This months theme is 'Exploratory Craft'..Maybe along the lines of something complex like Voyager.<hint,hint>;) Fiction or non-fiction...

So, show us your awesome builds!

Remember detail, details, details! So don't be shy, include extra photos of the little bits that make YOUR model extra special!
If you entry is a kit, let us know who's kit it is!

PRIZE(S)

Our awesome sponsor this month is FlisKits! Aim for the sky and try not to miss! And the prize is,wow:eyepop: something really special! All I can say is: "NSL Commemorative Kit - to be announced shortly" only from FlisKits, Inc!

So, let's get those entries in!

Last edited:
Hello folks, this month, i humbly submit my Famous Ramjet. I just finished the Paint job today. The Story: You see when i told you guys that it was ramjet powered, i lied, its actually Rocket-Powered :D And that big Pointy nose thingy ma-bob? Well you see, it is actually a huge Hi-Tech radar that picks up signs of life. :y: and the chrome paint? Well, you see we found out that aliens are unable to see Chrome, therefore, it would be best to paint your ship that color to keep under the radar (like that pun?[YOUTUBE]yImesFYd110&feature=youtube_gdata[/YOUTUBE]
And Thats The flight evidence, bigger motor, and its on its way to space :D

Chrome Ramjet1.jpg

chrome 2.jpg

chrome3.jpg

chrome4.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmmm, no entries..Well, to whet your apettite and so you know what is up for grabs this month, go HERE, read paragraph #3. :) Now, THAT should be enough incentive to see some rockets posted!:bangbang:

My Estes Venus Probe is the best rocket for this theme. I upgraded it for E motors by replacing the lower tube. I also added paper transitions to smooth it out. The launch picture shows it flying on an E9-4. It returned from its exploratory mission with an alien hijacker onboard the lander. He was a skillful pilot and stuck the 3-point landing despite the high winds.

Russ Roberts
SEARS572
TRA11925 L2

venus probe pad.jpg

venus probe launch.jpg

I would like to respectfully submit my EVR Solarius Solar Probe;

100_0573.jpg

It's a BT-50 based bird using a custom nose cone (which happens to be an industrial caulk nozzle) and Shrox's ping-pong ball trick. I really wanted to give this one a functional look, with full custom decals.

This view shows what I would imagine being the conduit from the solar panels feeding power to the heaters/stirrers in the outboard fuel tanks;
100_0576.jpg

Here's a rear view showing the stablilizer ring and the exhaust vents;
100_0577.jpg

....and a close-up of the name-plate;
100_0575.jpg

Later,
EV

Edit to add - Photo on the pad pre-decals;
100_0258.jpg

Last edited:
Well, at least we have a couple of players here! :) Deadline for entry is being extended to May 25th! So let's see those 'Explorer' ships! ;)

This explorer rocket is a pre-made kit from Estes from the early 2000’s. It’s been sitting in my room for at least 7 years and I’ve never launched it except for yesterday. It runs on 13mm engines. This flight was on 1/2A3-4Ts. Got about 100 ft. Cant find the real name of the kit.

The year is 2083. the planet Venus has finally been considered for colonization. The only problem… the temperature. The solution is to place mirror disks in orbit around the sun deflecting the light.

The mission: Pass Venus and deliver the payload of mirrors to the drop zone, then turn around and land on the surface to colonize the planet.

IMG_1015.jpg

IMG_1018.jpg

IMG_1021.jpg

IMG_1024.jpg

Sorry I'm a bit late to this party.;)

Here is my Estes Outlander. This is a kit that was introduced by Estes in early 2004.

This was also a very challenging kit to build and the main problem was the stock 18mm MMT.

To date, I have flown this on the C6-3 and well it flew okay, the altitude wasn't much over 100 feet. I also increased the size of the chute from an 18 to a 24 inch as the 18 inch chute was too small.

The last time I flew this, I flew it on a C5-3 motor. For stuff like this, I really wish Estes still produced this motor. It was labeled as a "semi core" burner which meant it had a good initial spike at the beginning which is what something like this definitely needs.

I might also try an AT D10-3W SU motor next though.;)

Outlander.JPG

Outlander detail.jpg

BZZZZZZZZZZT!!!

Entry period has officially closed!

Poll to be posted shortly!

Thanks for all who entered!

Latest posts

Back