XQ-58 Valkyrie - A Scratch Build / Scratch Design

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seeing any flying weather in near future? Looking forward to some of these birds strutting their stuff!
You and Me both.​
I guess I could launch after a snow storm... but that's just not me. It'll happen... just might be a while... maybe have to take a road trip.​

It's just really not fair that all the talent goes to just a handful of great builders! :) What an awesome build!
Thanks, but I'm just a guy playing with cardboard tubes, plywood and a wood lathe.​

Last edited:
It's just really not fair that all the talent goes to just a handful of great builders! :) What an awesome build!
Find YOUR niche. Aside from @BEC and the departed der Micromeister, who both seemed to be good at everything (although der Micromeister definitely leaned toward MicroMaxx at least in his later years), people you deem “masters” have taken their particular God given and job acquired and other talents and their own personality and found an area of rocket building and flying which exploits those things (in a good way).

There are a wholes slew of branches on the tree called model rocketry. Starting out, explore a number of them and see which one or more “grabs” you. Trust me, once you find one that pegs your “fun” meter, you will be on your way to Mastery. I’m sure @Daddyisabar would say it more stylishly.

Last edited:
Find YOUR niche. Aside from @BEC and the departed der Micromeister, who both seemed to be good at everything (although der Micromeister definitely leaned toward MicroMaxx at least in his later years), people you deem “masters” have taken their particular God given and job acquired and other talents and their own personality and found an area of rocket building and flying which exploits those things (in a good way).

There are a wholes slew of branches on the tree called model rocketry. Starting out, explore a number of them and see which one or more “grabs” you. Trust me, once you find one that pegs your “fun” meter, you will be on your way to Mastery. I’m sure @Daddyisabar would say it more stylishly.
Goodness.....I think you overstate my skill and knowledge. But thanks for the compliment. I'm surely not in the same class as Micromeister.

Dorsal Fins

I was on the fence about installing these.... the simulations shows no benefit at all. But I figured a little more fin area couldn't hurt.​
They are TTW (thru-the-wall) and attach to the internal BT-60 mid-tube, as well as to the outer fuselage. They also really help to make the fuselage stiff.​
Once the glue dries it's time to apply some CWF.​

001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG2023-11-03 Open Rocket Simulation - 3D Finished View.jpg

Last edited:
This is such an awesome looking rocket. I'm on my 4th time through the thread! Is there something more to the BT300 fitting than just cutting out the two strips shown? It looks like its tapered not just chopped and channeled to use a hot rodding term
Thanks for the build thread and your reply

Back