XQ-58 Valkyrie - A Scratch Build / Scratch Design

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is such an awesome looking rocket. I'm on my 4th time through the thread! Is there something more to the BT300 fitting than just cutting out the two strips shown? It looks like its tapered not just chopped and channeled to use a hot rodding term
Thanks for the build thread and your reply

Thanks!​
The BT-300 tubes have strips removed from the sides that go from nothing at the nose cone, to about 1/2" at the motor. This gives the rocket it's diminishing profile toward the motor.​
And since the fins are mounted about 1/2" above the centerline, the top and bottom BT-300 fuselage "skins" are different.​
This photo shows the fuselage variation at the motor, which is pretty dramatic.​

002.JPG
XQ-58 Valkerie 007.jpg

Dorsal Fins

I was on the fence about installing these.... the simulations shows no benefit at all. But I figured a little more fin area couldn't hurt.​
They are TTW (thru-the-wall) and attach to the internal BT-60 mid-tube, as well as to the outer fuselage. They also really help to make the fuselage stiff.​
Once the glue dries it's time to apply some CWF.​
In the official XQ-58 these are just ventral fins, since officially this is just a non-weaponized test bed.

But in the Area 51 model these hide the PewPew cannons.

Dorsal Fins

I was on the fence about installing these.... the simulations shows no benefit at all. But I figured a little more fin area couldn't hurt.​
They are TTW (thru-the-wall) and attach to the internal BT-60 mid-tube, as well as to the outer fuselage. They also really help to make the fuselage stiff.​
Once the glue dries it's time to apply some CWF.​
Like Dexter Jettster says to Obi-Wan at the diner. The machine simulations don't always work, they just look at and calculate symbols. Nothing beats a good mindsim and plenty of experience!

Those dorsal fins you got there, will help a bit with the dual lugs to balance all the asymmetrical drag on that silly airplane rocket. Machines don't look at asymmetrical drag.

Are those tiny "Interceptor" like fins enough drag to offset the ton of junk glued to the other side? Enough to bring balance to the Force, thereby preventing it from arcing over into the ground or going airplane off the rod for an RSO frightening flight? Don't know. Ask the oddroc fliers at the cantina. Mindsimmers they are. Darn good ones. Guess it depends on how good your manners are...and how big your pocket book is! :)

DISCLAIMER: The above post is for Dark Side comedy purposes that appeal only to oddroc scum and villainy.

All Younglings should embrace the trusted Jedi stability tools such as computer simulations and avoid dangerous oddroc mindsiming, especially in cantinas. Rocket science rules! Fantasies and dreaming of silly, unbalanced rockets flying straight is just that.

Like Dexter Jettster says to Obi-Wan at the diner. The machine simulations don't always work, they just look at and calculate symbols. Nothing beats a good mindsim and plenty of experience!

Those dorsal fins you got there, will help a bit with the dual lugs to balance all the asymmetrical drag on that silly airplane rocket. Machines don't look at asymmetrical drag.

Are those tiny "Interceptor" like fins enough drag to offset the ton of junk glued to the other side? Enough to bring balance to the Force, thereby preventing it from arcing over into the ground or going airplane off the rod for an RSO frightening flight? Don't know. Ask the oddroc fliers at the cantina. Mindsimmers they are. Darn good ones. Guess it depends on how good your manners are...and how big your pocket book is! :)

DISCLAIMER: The above post is for Dark Side comedy purposes that appeal only to oddroc scum and villainy.

All Younglings should embrace the trusted Jedi stability tools such as computer simulations and avoid dangerous oddroc mindsiming, especially in cantinas. Rocket science rules! Fantasies and dreaming of silly, unbalanced rockets flying straight is just that.

You're overthinking this... I've got 10 bucks worth of tubes and wood in this rocket. Sure, there's a lot of labor, but that's expected.

In the end, the most expensive part will be the motor, which is expendable. Blow or go... it's likely to be spectacular...

You're overthinking this... I've got 10 bucks worth of tubes and wood in this rocket. Sure, there's a lot of labor, but that's expected.

In the end, the most expensive part will be the motor, which is expendable. Blow or go... it's likely to be spectacular...

Darn mindsimmers. Always over analyzing! I sense much fear in them. Just push the dern button!

Hmm,have I been doing it wrong all these years? I do the CWF before priming, I though the primer would block CWF adhesion.
I've done this on numerous rockets and as long as you are applying the CWF over the rough surface primer (Rusto automotive type) the CWF adheres just fine. ;)

I've done this on numerous rockets and as long as you are applying the CWF over the rough surface primer (Rusto automotive type) the CWF adheres just fine. ;)
I do the same. I found that the finish is better in this order and can save additional filler after priming and usually requires only one good sanding session.

Flat Black

I had some Testors Flat Black in the paint cabinet and temp's. got up to 55 F today. Looks pretty bad ass, kind of U-2 / SR-71 ish.

I'm going to try to buff this paint with some steel wool, I trick I learned on the Mercury Capsule Abort rocket. Gives it a burnished look, which, just might work? We'll see.

002.JPG 003.JPG
004.JPG

Last edited:
Looks like you have some wet weather coming your way.

I’m thinking you may have a stable of birds to fly?

Back