Wireless Launch controll

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've built wireless launch systems based off of very similar modules. They have worked well.

Some have expressed concerns over how prone they might be to triggering from stray sources. I have never had that happen and typically launches are conducted in places not overwhelmed by other RF signals. Another prudent measure is to change the default code they come programmed for. This might involve opening the unit and programming some jumpers.

What I also did to add to the safety of the system was to add an additional safety switch at the receiver module near the pad. Also run sufficiently long leads to place the receiver a safe distance from the pad. Then when the rocket has been loaded, you can activate the receiver a safe distance from the pad, before walking back to wherever your launch control position might be.

Jim Z

If it will work. I am pretty sure I can put together a decent looking system and hopefully use it at the away cell for around 50.00. The transmitter has an on off switch and I may look at adding a piezo buzzer to it. I plan to mount the receiver in an abs box with an whip antenna and 12 relay.

Brent,

3000 meters is obviously far enough for the away cell. Nice find.

I did a little more online search and found a 2 channel switch with one of the modifications I was going to do. This one also say it is momentary and I was not sure of the other one. I ordered it instead. Once I get it in, I will get wire, relay and a box to mount stuff in. Will probably make the box similar to the wired ones we use now except the igniter leads will plug into the box. I am thinking of using 110 receptacles for that.

Brent,

How are you going to wire a safety key?

The transmitter already has an on/off switch on the side. I will replace that if possible with a mini phone plug like the current wireless unit. I could also add a small peizo if there is room. I won't really know until I get the unit in. I will put an on/off switch on the pad unit.

I just remember when that was an issue with the current system. Brent, do you know if the current system has the range to do the away cell?

I bought a couple 4 channel units from the same supplier because of the stated range to make a couple dual L3 pad controllers. Haven't had a chance to play with them. The units are momentary NO switches so I plan to make a pad select latching relay setup and then have a momentary fire button. I plan to use 40 amp automotive relay and dual sockets from allelectronics.com and have a strobe to indicate an armed pad. Not sure when I'll get a chance to throw it together, but relays are $2.50 each and the prewired sockets are $3. Strobe is about $10, so each pad circuit is about $25. A $20 lead acid battery should power it all day.

Bob

I think this might be a great build tread. I could see this making an awesome launch site.

I ended up not ordering from Amazon. I ordered a unit that specifically had switches listed as momentary plus it has an external antenna on the receiver. (29.00 dollars shipped) It is coming from across the pond like the mini cameras.

Brent,

I can't wait to see what you do with it. I have thought about buying or building a new system. The club really needs a new comprehensive system that is more reliable.

I ended up not ordering from Amazon. I ordered a unit that specifically had switches listed as momentary plus it has an external antenna on the receiver. (29.00 dollars shipped) It is coming from across the pond like the mini cameras.

Brent

FYI - The Amazon 4 channel units have momentary switchs which are mandated for 315 MHz band remote control units.

Bob

Brent

FYI - The Amazon 4 channel units have momentary switchs which are mandated for 315 MHz band remote control units.

Bob

Most of these controllers can be setup to be self-locking / interlocking / jog with jumpers

The WRC+ "DIY" system is an outstanding launch controller "building block", and is currently employed by both Kloudbusters and Phoenix Missile Works prefectures. One can wire momentary or maintained switches for whatever type remote control is required. The system is 900 MHZ ISM spread spectrum, with 200mW or 1W RF modules, and it provides 2-way launch control and continuity status communications. Comm packets are ultra-robust, employing a 16-bit CRC, a 56-bit DES, and 8-bit CS digital messaging scheme, and they also supports unique 48-bit MAC addressing, 32 RF channels, and 256 System ID's.

MWC, that is awesome. That is perfect. Did you build it? Ever think about doing a build thread?

No, it was built by a PMW club member...

I was near completion of a turn-key controller (Digi-Fire+), but got interrupted by other project work.
I may resurrect the project at some point, and I may in fact consider a build thread.

You might coax a build thread out of the Kloudbusters group, however...

If you finish one and decide to build another for a build thread, I for one might be interested building one myself.

This is the one I bought a couple of weeks ago. I got around to playing with it this morning. First thing I noticed, buttons A,B,C,D are inverse of the relays... A=4, B=3, C=2 and D=1.
Second thing, I wanted to try to rig this up so in order to fire, you had to hold down A and D... I could NOT make it work that way.
I was able to make it work like I wanted using relays 1/2, Buttons C/D... both have to be down to fire.
When trying to use relays 3/4, they acted differently, either latching, or a 'flash' on/off...
There are NO instructions with these units. I just played with it for awhile. Bob, if you have any idea how to make all 4 relays momentary, so I can do A/D, please let me know.
Also, if you have worked out any kind of instructions, please post them... it would be SOOOO helpful. I found a little bit of info that I attached here.
The Txt file might be correct for a similar version, but as I said above, my relays/buttons are backwards. Need to play with the jumpers a bit more.

Thanks!

Ron

View attachment Wireless Controller info.txt

21000557.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing to suggest as it was onto me, is setting up your own 8-bit address. This will make your controller more secure, and you can also see what address other members of your club are using. Most controller sold address is 00000000, and you can set off different receivers with the same transmitter

003.gif

Last edited:
Brent

Bob

I did not realize that . I looked at the description and did not see it. Amazon probably would have been cheaper. Live and Learn. I did order the 315 MHz that is for the US. They offered 433 MHz also but I think that is for Europe.

Back