Active control software

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_byte31

Reaction score
I was looking here and there for how to control the rocket upwards to the sky. I was amazed by the effort done and how diffictult it is.
My understanding, there are many techniques to control the rocket direction via tail fins, wings and canards. I am not sure but maybe a combination of control techquies can be used ( ex. both Canards and Tail).
I also don't know which one is better/easier as for control. any books to learn more ?
control-fins.jpg

Is there any open software that can be used for the control?

I am coming from Ardupilot background were it was possible to buy hardware and flush the firmware and then fly.
I was thinking if there is something already made and tested to avoid reinventation of the wheel.

I would read the below thread start to finish. It goes through a canard design from concept to real testing. I’m not aware of any open source software specifically for rockets. Something like an ardupilot fork would probably be the fastest path. There’s ardupilot for quads, fixed wing, helicopters, rovers… why not a rocket? I’ve thought about it but never have the time/energy.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/i-could-use-just-a-little-guidance.122042/

It seems like an interesting thread. I will follow it.

I searched internet and found that there were calls to fork Ardupilot and modify the code to cover rocketry. The intended project name was ArduRocket but seems there was no much motiviation to support the project.

I didn't find any big projects on Github. The only project that seems a little bit mature is AeroVECTOR

I was wondering what people use ! seems like they build their own solution from scratch which is a painful exercise for me.

This kind of software and the associated actuators are very complex to implement and build. Passive stability has been used to fly past the karman line so there’s just not a lot of demand for a system like this. Also, these systems walk a very fine line with the the rule set by the governing bodies NAR and Tripoli, the last thing our hobby needs is a news story of someone building a rocket in their garage capable of flying itself to a waypoint ie target. It would be bad press for all of us who enjoy high power rocketry.

I don’t mean to sound discouraging only I think the reason ardurocket doesn’t exist is there just isn’t enough demand to spark a community of devs to make it happen.

Last edited:
I couldn’t find a source after a quick google search (I’m at work) but read through this thread. It has a decent discussion on the topic. I think I was wrong about NAR and Tripoli the rule I’m thinking of may be from the FAA.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/guidance-control-now-legal.180445/
Btw, this forum has been around for a long time and has some incredibly experienced and knowledgeable people on it. You can use the forum search to find a lot of good discussion on just about anything you can think of that’s rocketry related.

Edit: oh and welcome to TRF! This is one of the best online communities I’ve ever come across.

Last edited:
I was looking here and there for how to control the rocket upwards to the sky. I was amazed by the effort done and how diffictult it is.
My understanding, there are many techniques to control the rocket direction via tail fins, wings and canards. I am not sure but maybe a combination of control techquies can be used ( ex. both Canards and Tail).
I also don't know which one is better/easier as for control. any books to learn more ?
control-fins.jpg

Is there any open software that can be used for the control?

I am coming from Ardupilot background were it was possible to buy hardware and flush the firmware and then fly.
I was thinking if there is something already made and tested to avoid reinventation of the wheel.
The book you copied that image from might be a place to start. There are MANY books. I do not know of any that use your buy and flush technology.

MatLab, and associated packages, might be good for software that can be used for control.

The book you copied that image from might be a place to start. There are MANY books. I do not know of any that use your buy and flush technology.

MatLab, and associated packages, might be good for software that can be used for control.
I hate using buy and flush technology, it's just sorta crappy....

If you only need roll control, then you want the active control surfaces as close to your CG as possible, which mitigates yaw & pitch changes with any misalignments/imbalances in the AOA of those surfaces although utilising gearboxes can help with some of that.
Otherwise, there's generally more volume in the upper part of the airframe to house the actuation & control; however aero stability can be more affected with significant surfaces towards the upmost part of the airframe.
If you were planning on going supersonic, there's a whole bunch of additional issues to consider like the wake of the various shocks (ie. the interaction with the control surfaces) and the rigidity of the active control surfaces to cope with significant loads.

TP

Back