Wildman's Black Saturday Sale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I always ask myself why people insist on directions. I'm trying to be rude, even if it soundalike it. The 5" Jart comes with 10 parts. Motor tube, 2 centering rings, 3 fins, body tube, nosecone coupler, nosecone bulkhead, nosecone. It really isn't difficult.
Add recovery attachment points and go fly.

Maybe the instructions will include how to add dual deploy, but anything but gluing the parts together will require extra parts. Clean the parts, sand the parts before bonding, use your favorite epoxy, done. You could do the whole leave the centering ring off and do massive fillets everywhere step, but IMO they are unnecessary.

For the 3" follow BlackJacks thread, looks like it will be good.

Sorry.

The reason I ask, is because I have never worked with larger diameter fiberglass, and I was not sure if there were any nuances I MIT pick up from a set of directions. Been looking over larger diameter build threads since I posted that though.

I found this image from one of Crazy Jim's first started threads:
100_2592.jpg

I also happened to find
attachment.php

early in this thread...
I wonder if it is a coincidence that the pictures are the same?
Picture found in this thread...

:lol:

I always ask myself why people insist on directions. I'm trying to be rude, even if it soundalike it. The 5" Jart comes with 10 parts. Motor tube, 2 centering rings, 3 fins, body tube, nosecone coupler, nosecone bulkhead, nosecone. It really isn't difficult.
Add recovery attachment points and go fly.

First - I think your typo is priceless given the fact that I think you mean that you are NOT trying to be rude. I'm not trying to be rude either by pointing it out. I just think it shows how it's clear what you intend sometimes even when the typed words don't match - other times not so much - just the way words work.

Second - I for one LOVE good documentation. There are always people who feel comfortable without the "corrections", people who need very specific instructions, and those who read the instructions and do whatever they feel like makes more sense...

First - I think your typo is priceless given the fact that I think you mean that you are NOT trying to be rude. I'm not trying to be rude either by pointing it out. I just think it shows how it's clear what you intend sometimes even when the typed words don't match - other times not so much - just the way words work.

Second - I for one LOVE good documentation. There are always people who feel comfortable without the "corrections", people who need very specific instructions, and those who read the instructions and do whatever they feel like makes more sense...

OMG. Wow. I never caught that. Jeez.

I love people's build threads but the reason is everyone builds it differently. There is not a "stock" way of building it. Maybe Griffins way, or my way, or your way. But the fact of this kit is that fins a body tube and a motor mount can be interpreted so many different ways that "instructions" are pretty much blah. But it is great to hear how others do it.

Curious find Matt.

Looks like Jim's got some 'splanin to do.

Look who I found in the bathtub:
046-1_zps50c4d547.jpg

I think she has that "deer in the headlights" look, might not have realized just how big they are.....

Look who I found in the bathtub:
046-1_zps50c4d547.jpg

I think she has that "deer in the headlights" look, might not have realized just how big they are.....

Very lovely bathing beauty !

Kenny

Ohhh the UPS made a very stealthy delivery a couple of minutes ago. Wifey states that I can't open it til the 25th as this is my "Not to Secret Santa" gift to myself.
pack.jpg

I got a box!!! A bit smaller than many of the boxes in this thread, but I'm quite happy it has arrived none the less. Still, I'm waiting for the 25th to open it too... aah!

Well folks .
We have shipped out over 300 kits already. and over 1000 lbs. of propellant.
And enough peanuts to fill a cement truck. :y:
To the folks that have received the kits with the sticky fins I am sorry.
We have now come up with a way to remove the sticky from them in a timely manner, the last round of fins should be clean.
acetone works well to remove the sticky off the fins, the longer they soak the easier it is to remove.

Well folks .
We have now come up with a way to remove the sticky from them in a timely manner, the last round of fins should be clean.
acetone works well to remove the sticky off the fins, the longer they soak the easier it is to remove.

If anyone is fighting that goo, lacquer thinner takes it off in seconds.

Well folks .

I shoulda thought of that. I tried using the back of a sponge and scratched it up some. It should polish up or paint black just fine. Ill soak the rest in acetone.

Any chance of switching to crumpled paper? Not sure how cost effective it is, but it wouldhelp me from "wearing" those green peanuts for two days :eyepop: Though, I'll admit it's pretty funny when the dog get's one stuck to her muzzle via static :lol: My packages were well packed, so I'll put it this way: I would not be offended or think less of shipping if I got reasonably well padded packages filled with paper vs peanuts.

(I'd say something here about recycling and the environment, but since I recycle packing paper and reuse peanuts it's probably a wash.)

Any chance of switching to crumpled paper? Not sure how cost effective it is, but it wouldhelp me from "wearing" those green peanuts for two days :eyepop: Though, I'll admit it's pretty funny when the dog get's one stuck to her muzzle via static :lol: My packages were well packed, so I'll put it this way: I would not be offended or think less of shipping if I got reasonably well padded packages filled with paper vs peanuts.

Tim and Jackie actually use a combination of shredded paper and other packing materials, depending on what's available. I've received boxes that contained a mix of both.

-Kevin

Tim and Jackie actually use a combination of shredded paper and other packing materials, depending on what's available. I've received boxes that contained a mix of both.

-Kevin

I'm just glad they don't use dog barf. That stuff would be everywhere!

Finally gave in and opened my package last night. Yes, lots of great packing material for the kids, my youngest just inherited 3 small boxes and a vast quantity of 'snowmen' to play with.

Kit looks fantastic, but, at the moment, rather unstable. Called Tim just now, and got a nice friendly person!! Turns out that the fins and bulkplates, etc, are in a package of their own! Those will be on their way next week..

:)

(I'd say something here about recycling and the environment, but since I recycle packing paper and reuse peanuts it's probably a wash.)

We recycle as much as possible.
We reuse all of the packaging material sent to us along with shredded paper from some of the local businesses.
But its not enough so we use peanuts to fill the voids in between.

Tim
Another box of chutes was shipped to you today. Thats 5 boxes of chutes shipped so far and at least 2 more to come yet. Thanks all who purchased TFR chutes at the BIG SALE
Gary

Another box of chutes was shipped to you today. Thats 5 boxes of chutes shipped so far and at least 2 more to come yet. Thanks all who purchased TFR chutes at the BIG SALE

Wow! You and your crew sure are getting a workout!

-Kevin

Man that is a lot of propellant. More inconvenient though is the enormous pile of liners...

First, personal motors. I have an I1299 and 4 G138's...
IMG_20121221_165501.jpg

Next is research stuff... 14 L2300's are quite something.
IMG_20121221_165440.jpg

Liners:
IMG_20121221_165529.jpg

Last edited:
Well folks .

Only 1000#'s?:surprised: Heck that's 80% of what i brought back from the CTI factory in Toronto two weeks ago!;) Looking forward to the production getting back up to speed after the holidays "up North there eh!"
If Bob and, Jeroen haven't had to replace the bearings on that mixer yet....i'd be surprised!:lol:
Tim....i may have you hold my order of propellant at the house....when you get the next shipment of the "big stuff." Trust me, the Fed-Ex guy around here and, i get along real good but....200#'s of propellant minus liners is going to make him mean!

I'll drive up some Sunday...to keep the peace.

The sky's over Argonia are going to rumble twice this year....Its going to be fun.......:)

"More Carbon Fiber.":cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back