While on the topic of candy...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, that brings up the next question... What the heck is “chunder”???
Today Adrian learns more Oz speak...😜
I heard that the word comes from those poor sods on ocean voyage, on the top deck, with portholes below. "Watch out under!" just before losing breakfast/lunch/dinner then became "watchunder" and finally "chunder".

Okay, related to @Cape Byron 's post, ever since I was a kid in the 80's and Men at Work released the song that he also referenced I have wondered about Vegemite. For those of you that have experienced it, is there something familiar to us in the US that compares to it. (Yes, this oughta be good) Seriously, though, what is it like?

"He just smiled and gave me a Vegemite sandwich."

Okay, related to @Cape Byron 's post, ever since I was a kid in the 80's and Men at Work released the song that he also referenced I have wondered about Vegemite. For those of you that have experienced it, is there something familiar to us in the US that compares to it. (Yes, this oughta be good) Seriously, though, what is it like?

Take a tablespoon of Elmer's Glue and add 10 tablespoons of salt. Not exact, but close in my opinion.

I don't know of anything here in the US that's remotely similar to Vegemite. It's a combination of salty and yeasty with a little soy flavor thrown in. Try a store that specializes in international foods.

I tried it once. Unlike butter, only the thinnest smear of Vegemite goes on bread/toast/crackers. IMHO it's not horrible, but it's definitely not mouth-watering.

Best -- Terry

I thought I might find it at Jungle Jim's in Cincinnati, but no love on either the Vege or Mar version. Kinda bummed. I was hoping to give it a try.

I always thought it had to be similar to our SPAM, guess not?

Does anyone make their own candy? I've made a lot of stuff like choc covered nuts and berries. The hardest thing I've tried is candied orange peel, because you have to watch closely in the final step (candy-ing). Also hard candy - have to watch close the last few minutes. Recently, I've been making acid jellies - concentrated fruit juice and zest thickened with gelatine. Margarita gummies are great!

I believe Vegamite is made from yeast. Nutritional yeast is available at heath food stores. I have had Marmite, and it is the same flavor as nutrional yeast, but the Marmite is more concentrated. We sprinkle nutritional yeast on soups and stews. It thickens the food and definitely adds flavor. It its high in B vitamins. It has vitamin B12, which is hard to find in the plant kingdom.

Vegemite was originally made using discarded brewers yeast from the Carlton and United Brewery in Melbourne. Makes it sound even more delicious. 🥰

Seriously, I eat Vegemite prolly 300 days of the year. Try this: Toast, Avocado, Vegemite, Tomato, Poached egg.

You will not chunder, puke or spew.

In my hometown growing up, you could get Chocolate Charlie's around Christmas time. They were / are? made in South Bend out of a homemade marshmallow covered in milk chocolate and peanuts.

Attachments

• PSX_20201106_172132.jpg
    PSX_20201106_172132.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 2
Does anyone make their own candy? I've made a lot of stuff like choc covered nuts and berries. The hardest thing I've tried is candied orange peel, because you have to watch closely in the final step (candy-ing). Also hard candy - have to watch close the last few minutes. Recently, I've been making acid jellies - concentrated fruit juice and zest thickened with gelatine. Margarita gummies are great!
We don't make our own, but we have an aunt who brings some from a neighbor every Christmas. And it is sublime, better even than the local chocolatiers who in themselves are very good. Here's to you!

Buckeyes. Peanut butter filling mostly covered in dark chocolate. Almost like Reese's cups but spherical... like Ohio buckeyes. Occasionally mass produced but usually homemade or made my local mom and pop confectioners.
https://s6ebgk1sh9-flywheel.netdna-...loads/2019/11/buckeye-candies-05-735x1103.jpg
The wife of a friend of mine used to make buckeyes for Christmas gift boxes every year. Her and my ex-wife would make tons of cookies and candies for us to take to work and give to coworkers.

After hearing the song about a zillion times, I recently found out the 2nd line is "On a hippie trail, head full of zombie."

Pecan pie can be pretty close to candy around here.
View attachment 437547
I use to make a tastebud orgasm producing pecan pie, only thing I ever made in my life baked in the oven.

Back