More the Same

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawcustom

Reaction score
Seems like I'm far from unique in resuming a hobby from childhood. My interest is to get my kids involved with something more tangible than electronic entertainment. I justify building my own with them to present an example for them to work towards. I think it's been successful thus far, and considering I only built one rocket as a kid and I already have them up to 4 ea, I think I'm making progress.

I'm a knifemaker by trade and really enjoy craftsmanship in most any variety. I'd say for my own pursuit, this is active procrastination where I can work and build on something other than what I should be doing. I do love knifemaking and forging in general, but a few hours with rockets goes a lot farther for a finished product, and is just as fun.

I mainly am a lurker and enjoy learning and researching ideas and designs as much as building them. Just like with knives, I rarely just draw a pattern, but rather research historic or culturally distinct designs and then work from there.

I attached a pic of the next rocket to try. I'm currently waiting on my E motors to run it as high as possible. I think after this if I continue with my own builds I want to learn more about the sugar engines and build a rocket powered by a candy motor.

Anyway, thanks for a forum full of ideas and knowledge as I plan to spend plenty of time reading and researching what I can. I can never leave well enough alone, and even on the attached pic I have attempted a low-tech streamer for the first stage assembly. It will likely fail, but I like to start simple and go from there.

Thank you!

Attachments

• CCCP.jpg
    CCCP.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Welcome out of lurk mode! How old are your kids?

That’s a gorgeous paint job on your Sasha. I don’t want to think about masking a camo pattern o_O. Might have to steal your nose cone paint scheme when I finally get around to painting mine though. The black and red looks really nice.

Welcome out of lurk mode! How old are your kids?

That’s a gorgeous paint job on your Sasha. I don’t want to think about masking a camo pattern o_O. Might have to steal your nose cone paint scheme when I finally get around to painting mine though. The black and red looks really nice.
Steal away! I thought it would give a little more intimidating/munitions feel to the rocket. Never made a two-stage and really liked the looks of this kit.

My boys are 7 & 9. Next up for them is a two-stage and a cluster build, and I'm going to let them go complete custom on paint scheme. Up until now I've made them try to stick close to the represented scheme since I think going custom means more after you know you can nail the prescribed scheme first.

Back