New New Zealand model rocketer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miket6000

Reaction score
Hi all,

As a young boy I remember walking through model shops and looking at the rockets and marveling at them but for some reason never thinking about more of them. A few years ago I came across Joe Barnards's Channel and became enthralled with rockets in general but didn't do anything with that energy until an impulse buy of an Estes Alpha launch set about a month ago.

Since then I've designed and started building a remote launch system (have parts, working on assembly), a BLE enable micro altimeter with dual deploy capability (specs detailed, schematic in early draft) and have built an Estes swift and 70% of a Der Red Max (just awaiting paint) with a Big Bertha awaiting assembly.

I'm an Electrical Engineer by trade so the electronics side of things comes easily hence those projects. I'm playing around in LPR at the moment to start learning some of the basics of rocketry but the idea of building high performance MPR's really appeals to me. Unfortunately down this end of the world the club's are few and far between (250 miles to the nearest club) and having a young family takes up most of my time.

I'm looking forward to learning all I can about rocket design and construction and moving up to more complicated projects in the future.

Attachments

• 20240303_162811.jpg
    20240303_162811.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240303_085720.jpg
    20240303_085720.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240223_185225.jpg
    20240223_185225.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Hi all,

As a young boy I remember walking through model shops and looking at the rockets and marveling at them but for some reason never thinking about more of them. A few years ago I came across Joe Barnards's Channel and became enthralled with rockets in general but didn't do anything with that energy until an impulse buy of an Estes Alpha launch set about a month ago.

Since then I've designed and started building a remote launch system (have parts, working on assembly), a BLE enable micro altimeter with dual deploy capability (specs detailed, schematic in early draft) and have built an Estes swift and 70% of a Der Red Max (just awaiting paint) with a Big Bertha awaiting assembly.

I'm an Electrical Engineer by trade so the electronics side of things comes easily hence those projects. I'm playing around in LPR at the moment to start learning some of the basics of rocketry but the idea of building high performance MPR's really appeals to me. Unfortunately down this end of the world the club's are few and far between (250 miles to the nearest club) and having a young family takes up most of my time.

I'm looking forward to learning all I can about rocket design and construction and moving up to more complicated projects in the future.
Hello!

Neat projects you have there. Have you identified a vehicle that will be suitable for your electronic stuff? It seems like there’s a disconnect between that and the kits you’re building. Unless you have modifications in mind?

Either way I’m anxious to see!

Cheers for the welcomes.

Hello!

Neat projects you have there. Have you identified a vehicle that will be suitable for your electronic stuff? It seems like there’s a disconnect between that and the kits you’re building. Unless you have modifications in mind?

Either way I’m anxious to see!

The wireless launcher is just for fun, totally overkill, and mostly a chance to brush up on software with some greater than normal protections against interference, just for the sake of it really. I'm a keen advocate of open source so will publish everything on github once it's had basic verification.

I have modifications in mind for the kits. The initial builds are to familiarizing myself with the "standard" construction techniques used in model rocketry. The altimeter I hope to get small enough to fly on any of the models (except maybe the swift, we'll see) with the potential to convert them to electronic deployment and possibly eventually dual deployment, just for fun. Half the reason I'm building the altimeter, rather than just buying one, is to see how small I can get it, as it's own challenge and to keep my skills sharp as I don't do much development work these days.

Welcome to the forum! I have very fond memories of walking thru the hobby shops as a kid. We'd save up our money and made the day of it., with lunch and buying a rocket. All the airplanes from the ceiling were cool too.

We keep losing our launch sites (to stupid things like high schools :rolleyes: ) Most of my fleet is untested, and hence my build techniques are not tested either? :(

Cheers for the welcomes.

The wireless launcher is just for fun, totally overkill, and mostly a chance to brush up on software with some greater than normal protections against interference, just for the sake of it really. I'm a keen advocate of open source so will publish everything on github once it's had basic verification.

I have modifications in mind for the kits. The initial builds are to familiarizing myself with the "standard" construction techniques used in model rocketry. The altimeter I hope to get small enough to fly on any of the models (except maybe the swift, we'll see) with the potential to convert them to electronic deployment and possibly eventually dual deployment, just for fun. Half the reason I'm building the altimeter, rather than just buying one, is to see how small I can get it, as it's own challenge and to keep my skills sharp as I don't do much development work these days.
:welcome: I’d love to look at what you did once your finished, making a flight computer is a long term goal of mine!

Welcome.

When I was a kid, I never finished my Farside. Maybe I'll make another one, but if so, I'll need to make your computer if I want to use all three stages. The trees around the field don't need any more decorations from rockets with parachutes that deployed just after apogee.

I'm sure you'll go far in this hobby. Just remember, when you're facing the equator, your orbital rocket needs to turn to the right after launch. I don't care what those other guys from the Northern Hemisphere say.

Welcome.

When I was a kid, I never finished my Farside. Maybe I'll make another one, but if so, I'll need to make your computer if I want to use all three stages. The trees around the field don't need any more decorations from rockets with parachutes that deployed just after apogee.

I'm sure you'll go far in this hobby. Just remember, when you're facing the equator, your orbital rocket needs to turn to the right after launch. I don't care what those other guys from the Northern Hemisphere say.
The farside is an impressive looking machine, assuming you mean a model version of this one: https://ids.si.edu/ids/deliveryService?id=NASM-A19680013000-NASM2019-02204&max=980 Certainly not a small undertaking to build.

I'll no doubt post details of the more interesting projects once they're in an approximately complete state.

Hiya Mike - which part of NZ are you located in ?

We (NZRA) have some fliers based out of Rotorua, Hawkes Bay, Pahiatua, Wellington and beyond.
I'm down in Dunedin. I know there's a club in Christchurch, but that's the closest I'm aware of.

The farside is an impressive looking machine, assuming you mean a model version of this one: https://ids.si.edu/ids/deliveryService?id=NASM-A19680013000-NASM2019-02204&max=980 Certainly not a small undertaking to build.

I'll no doubt post details of the more interesting projects once they're in an approximately complete state.
Alas, I must disappoint you. I meant the old Estes Farside.
https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/k-12.htm
k-12@.png

I'm down in Dunedin. I know there's a club in Christchurch, but that's the closest I'm aware of.
Ok, if you are on Facebook, join the New Zealand Rocketry Association group and track down 'Collan Fraser', he's based out of Oamaru and am sure he has a few contacts around your area.

Still a pretty swish looking rocket, probably a little more obtainable for a kid, but that's all awful lot of fins to sand.
Maybe for a kid. By now, I've built or finished several full sized boats, stick and tissue model airplanes, and some reasonably large RC planes. So I'm not intimidated. This doesn't mean I get all my projects done in a reasonable amount of time, though.

Hi and welcome! FWIW there are several forum threads on papering fins. Makes them heavier but a lot easier to get a smooth finish.
Thanks, I've seen some of them and actually attempted it on the DRM in the photo above using some labels I had lying around. I'd call it a semi success, it covered up the wood grain nicely, but at least one of the fins has developed a slight bubble, likely where I failed to clean it sufficiently. I'll keep experimenting with the techniques to see what works best for me.

Last edited:
Ok, if you are on Facebook, join the New Zealand Rocketry Association group and track down 'Collan Fraser', he's based out of Oamaru and am sure he has a few contacts around your area.
Thanks for the tip. I try to avoid Facebook wherever possible, but I do exist there so might reach out.

Back