• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Post a pic that makes you LOL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here in the Mid-Atlantic region MD/DC/VA we've only ever just called them "trash cans", wheels or not.

Dumpsters are those big metal things behind a business that takes the truck with big forks to empty.
The City calls them "poly carts". Seems good enough for me. Trash cans were big metal cans, slightly smaller than a 50 gal. drum but with a stamped sheet metal lid.

Last edited:
Trash cans are for houses. Dumpsters are big multi-cubic-yard boxes that businesses use. I've lived in the Midwest for most of my life and never heard the small ones called anything but trash cans (or bins).

Maybe it's just a Toledo thing?

No, that's just "Please take the trash out."

And if you want to pick nits, Dumpster is a trademark for a particular brand of those things, like Kleenex and Vaseline.

No often you hear Dumpster, Kleenex and Vaseline in the same sentence. Outside being in a courtroom.

Here in the Mid-Atlantic region MD/DC/VA we've only ever just called them "trash cans", wheels or not.

Dumpsters are those big metal things behind a business that takes the truck with big forks to empty.

Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Do you know how hard it is to throw away an old garbage can????
I had an old metal, beat up, cracked at the bottom, one handle broken off garbage can that took me three months to throw away (well, maybe three weeks, but it seemed longer). I'd put it out in the plastic bin and somehow it would still be at the edge of the road the next afternoon. Empty, but still there, mocking me. I did that several times. Apparently they thought I was using it as a liner for the plastic bin :dontknow: Finally I had to crush it and put it in the recycling bin. Then they got the hint...

I had an old metal, beat up, cracked at the bottom, one handle broken off garbage can that took me three months to throw away (well, maybe three weeks, but it seemed longer). I'd put it out in the plastic bin and somehow it would still be at the edge of the road the next afternoon. Empty, but still there, mocking me. I did that several times. Apparently they thought I was using it as a liner for the plastic bin :dontknow: Finally I had to crush it and put it in the recycling bin. Then they got the hint...

Yes, I do know this very well.

I have also followed this same path to get rid of a dead metal can.

I had two such metal cans when I moved into my current home. When I called the trash service I told them that the first pickup would be in two metal cans with a great big ❌ on them. Trash the cans as well please.
Monday morning, they picked them up, tossed them in the truck. The following Monday I had brand new 42 gallon plastic can for them. No issues at all.

Back