Post a story that makes you smile (or LOL)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexzogh

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Someone in the "Post a pic that makes you LOL" recommended starting a good story thread, I thought it was a great idea - I love good stories, and I have a lot of them 😀

First story....

Back in the mid-1990s, I spent a considerable amount of time on airplanes (and still do to this day). I had reached the highest tier of almost every major airline's loyalty program, which came with its perks. One of the most significant advantages was the frequent automatic upgrades to first or business class, even when I didn't request them. There were several routes I flew regularly – Chicago, New York, Chicago to San Francisco, among others. I became familiar with the cabin crews on some of these routes.

One day, flying home from New York, I arrived at the gate just as they were closing the door. The gate agent and the purser (the highest-ranking flight attendant) greeted me by name and informed me that they had a "special" seat for me that day. I hurried onto the plane, stowed my carry-on in the overhead compartment, and settled into my upgraded aisle seat. I took out my newspaper (remember, it was the mid-90s) to pass the time. Glancing to my right, I realized I was sitting next to Cindy Crawford! She had either just divorced or was about to divorce Richard Gere, so I thought, "This is my chance!"

I sat there with my newspaper open, trying to come up with the perfect 'line' to start a conversation. The plane took off, and I found myself still staring at the same page of the newspaper, unable to think of anything clever to say. An hour and a half passed, and I was still in the same predicament when the plane began its descent. As we taxied to the gate, Cindy turned to me, placed her hand on my shoulder, and said, "Hi, I just want to thank you for giving me my personal space. Most people feel the need to talk my ear off on flights, and it was refreshing to have some time to myself." All I could muster in response was, "Oh, do we know each other? Who are you?"

She looked surprised and puzzled at my response, and then I burst out laughing. Finally, I confessed that I had spent the entire flight trying to think of something to say but couldn't come up with anything. She had a good laugh, and that was it - I blew my chance with Cindy Crawford.

Back