• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Successful Level 3 Flight!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loopy

Reaction score
After a couple of launches of disappointment (e.g. heading out getting things prepped, then having to stand down because of not getting continuity on all my ejection charges which led to completely re-wiring the altimeter bay and then heading out two weeks later only to have to stand down due to high winds), Skinwalker #46 finally got off the pad and got me my Level 3 cert! Skinwalker on an M1297W to just a touch over 6000', staying in visual range the entire flight. Very calm winds meant it landed quite close, and you can see the smoke trail just hanging out on the on-board video as the rocket descends. Such an amazing day! Thanks, everyone!

Nice flight and great video.
Despite what looked like high winds, I like how the boost smoke trail remains in the image so you can see the takeoff point while spinning in the air.
The camera position after it fell is SO LUCKY - that was great and in focus too.
Nicely done.

Despite what looked like high winds, I like how the boost smoke trail remains in the image so you can see the takeoff point while spinning in the air.
The camera position after it fell is SO LUCKY - that was great and in focus too.
Nicely done.
Yes, and speaking of lucky ...

if I hadn't seen the video of your rocket landing in the plowed field in part I of your video, that creek rolling in-n-out of the onboard video would have made for a VERY exciting cliff-hanger :)

Congratulations again, @loopy !

-- kjh( :) whose rockets seem to have an uncanny ability to land in the worst possible places at the launch site :) )

Nicely done.
The winds were actually pretty calm. 5-10MPH at ground level. I also love how lucky I got with those videos...seeing the smoke trail, and the padcam being able to see it climb out.

Yes, and speaking of lucky ...

if I hadn't seen the video of your rocket landing in the plowed field in part I of your video, that creek rolling in-n-out of the onboard video would have made for a VERY exciting cliff-hanger :)

Congratulations again, @loopy !

-- kjh( :) whose rockets seem to have an uncanny ability to land in the worst possible places at the launch site :) )
The creek is REALLY narrow, but it has claimed a few victims through the years. I've only had one splashdown (knocking on wood), but others in the club have made a habit of it...lol

Congrats again Loopy. Great launch and a great video.

I was there and it was a beautiful launch. It was his third attempt over about 4 weeks. The first launch was cancelled about a month earlier for altimeter issues. The second launch was called off several weeks later due to high winds at the field. The club scheduled our last high-power launch of the season on a Thursday as the weather forecast was great and the farmer was planting in a few days, so we would lose the field until fall. Thanks to our club president, The Slightly Honorable Dave, for arranging the launch; great call.

In addition to the L3 cert we also had an L2 cert and an L1 cert. Congrats Barry on your L2. I don't remember who did the L1.

The creek does pose challenges at times. After the first few launches of the day, we get a pretty good idea of how to play the wind to avoid the stream. The bigger problem is that the stream can only be crossed with waders about half the time as the depth varies widely depending on the snow melt and/or recent rain. It was rather low for this launch, so waders worked. Some launches it is too deep and we forbid people from even trying. A bridge is not an option. The only other option to wading is to drive out to the road, cross the bridge and drive down the very narrow and bumpy grass strip on the other side. People that wade or drive over there usually collect multiple rockets to return them.

Back