The 2024 Newton-Second Tally Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiffD

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This is traditionally run by K'Tesh and was last year by mbeels, I'm kicking it off for this year. Even as a L0 last year I still found this as loads of fun to do as part of a hot wash after a launch and to challenge myself throughout the year. I'm including K'Teshs directions on how to participate below.

This is modeled on the Bike Commuting Mileage Thread I am involved with over on bikeforums. Here's the links to The 2015 Newton Tally Thread, the 2016 version, the 2017 edition, the 2018 thread, the 2019 thread, the 2020 thread, the 2021 thread. the 2022 thread, and the 2023 thread (if you missed them).

This is NOT a competition. This is a convenient way for our members to keep track of the number of Newtons we've burned as a community, with the goal of seeing how large of a rocket we could have launched if we had pooled our resources together.

How it works. [EDIT] This is for the calendar year beginning January 1, 2021, and concluding on December 31, 2021 [/EDIT]. One person starts. They write their name down, followed by a space, a series of periods, another space, then post their total newtons burned this year. Inside parenthesis you can add optional information such as HPR level certification, number of motors burned, number of launches/static tests done, and team affiliation (such as a TARC team)

The next person copies the list, and only if they have burned more newtons adds their name above the previous entry (then the periods, then the total newtons). If they burned less, their name goes below. Please note: Instructions on keeping the list aligned are provided below.

Say that a 3rd person has burned more than the first, but less than the second. They first copy the list, then sandwich their name in (with the periods, and total newtons).

When a person has burned more newtons than their own previous record, they copy the list, and move their name according to where they now stand, and update their total.

Example:
I'll start the list. After my name, I add a space, a series of periods, another space, and my total Ns. Additional (Optional) information such as your HPR certification level, number of motors burned, and number of flights can go inside a set of parenthesis. I've also switched the font to "Courier New" to keep things easy to align.

K'Tesh ....................................... 0.0 Ns (L1, 0 motors, 0 flights)

Then TopRamen joins in. He's burned more than me. So, he copies the list, then adds his name and score above mine.

TopRamen ................................. 5.0 Ns (1 motor, 1 flight)
K'Tesh ....................................... 0.0 Ns (L0, 0 motors, 0 flights)

You'll notice that we're now not *quite* aligned... So, TopRamen needs to change the font of the list to "Courier New", and maybe change the number of periods to get us aligned.

TopRamen ..................................... 5.0 Ns (1 motor, 1 flight)
K'Tesh ....................................... 0.0 Ns (L0, 0 motors, 0 flight)

There... That's better.

Next comes along Rex R, and he has 2.5 Ns. He copies the most recent copy of the list, and sandwiches in his name, number of newtons, and the other (optional) info, then changes the font back to "Courier New".

Rex R ........................................ 2.5 Ns (L2, 1 motor, 1 flight)
K'Tesh ....................................... 0.0 Ns (L1, 0 motors, 0 flights)

Oh, but I finally launch a few, and now I've got 7.0 Ns. So, I copy the list, find my new space, and update my score.

K'Tesh ....................................... 7.0 Ns (L1, 3 motors, 3 flights)

Now, let's say that a team effort would like to add their Newtons. I'd propose that they use the tag "Team" then the name of the project (say TARC) and location (if applicable) (e.g. Team Cineroc). Team members shouldn't claim team acquired Newtons as their own, but can note them with their totals.

Team Cineroc ................................ 75.0 Ns (11 motors, 11 flights)
K'Tesh ....................................... 7.0 Ns (L1, 3 motors, 3 flights)(+75.0 Ns, Team Cineroc)

And so on. Just remember to copy the most recent copy of the list. Please add additional periods to your (and other's totals) to help keep the list readable.

Like last year, I've also added the NS of the HPR motors from the beginning. So if your first launch this year is a HPR, just sandwich your name in at the appropriate spot.

To keep the list in order:
Highlight, and copy the latest version of the list. Then paste it into a new post, you will need to highlight the entire text (I right click and "select all"), and then find the "font" drop down menu.
Next, after clicking the drop down menu, you'll see a list of potential fonts (and almost completely hidden at the bottom of the first view you get of the list is "Courier New"
Select "New Courier " and the list aligns.
Make your changes, and save the post, and the list is much more readable.

Of course, this thread depends completely on the honesty of the people involved, and as there's no prizes, there's no point in lying.

Now, let's get some propellent burnt! Wishing you nothing but fair winds and safe launches this year!

...... R-Motor ............................ 163840.0 Ns
...... Q-Motor ............................. 81920.0 Ns
...... P-Motor ............................. 40960.0 Ns
...... O-Motor ............................. 20480.0 Ns
...... N-Motor ............................. 10240.0 Ns
...... M-Motor .............................. 5120.0 Ns
...... L-Motor .............................. 2560.0 Ns
...... K-Motor .............................. 1280.0 Ns
...... J-Motor ............................... 640.0 Ns
...... I-Motor ............................... 320.0 Ns
...... H-Motor ............................... 160.0 Ns
RiffD ......................................... 0.0 Ns (L0, 0 motors, 0 flights)

...... G-Motor ............................... 80.0 Ns

PhlAsh ........................................ 52.0 Ns (L2, 5 motors, 5 flights)
...... F-Motor ................................ 40.0 Ns
RiffD .......................................... 0.0 Ns (L0, 0 motors, 0 flights)

First TRA/PHX launch of the year for Wayco and Hardline. Great weekend, with temps in the low 70's and although the wind was up for most of Friday, it settled down late in the day and we flew a bunch of LPR/MPR rockets. Sharon flew a C6, two D12's, a G75M and a G 126. I flew 3 C6's, a D12, an E12, and an F35.
Saturday was awesome, low wind and sunny. Sharon flew a K, an L, and two M's. All research loads. I flew an H178 DM, I175 CTI white, an L983 and an M1331, both Sharon's sparkler research loads. Packing up later, I found my Estes dual deploy Argent with a G75 DM in it. I got special dispensation from my boss and flew it Sunday morning before we went home.

Hardline.................................... 17082.0 Ns L3, 8 motors, 3 Ex. 8 flights.
Wayco....................................... 10559.3 Ns L3, 11 motors, 2 Ex. 11 flights
...... G-Motor ................................ 80.0 Ns

PhlAsh ........................................ 52.0 Ns (L2, 5 motors, 5 flights)
RiffD .......................................... 0.0 Ns (L0, 0 motors, 0 flights)

I stopped keeping track halfway through last year. Hope I manage better this year. Started out the year with a K2050 in my 54mm submin at FAR.

Hardline.................................... 17082.0 Ns L3, 8 motors, 3 Ex. 8 flights.
Wayco....................................... 10559.3 Ns L3, 11 motors, 2 Ex. 11 flights

Neutronium................................... 1384.0 Ns L3, 1 motor, 1 flight

Forgot to add the two 54mm test motors we burned in our test stand. Finally starting to collect data on our propellants!
Correcting our previous post.

Hardline.................................... 17082.0 Ns L3, 8 motors, 4 Ex. 4 comm. 8 flights.
Wayco....................................... 12249.3 Ns L3, 13 motors, 4 Ex. 9 comm. 11 flights

1st club launch of the year, gorgeous weather for it and the kids had loads of fun chasing after the rockets. Last year my youngest was afraid to touch the button to launch her rockets but this year she was willing to (so long as mom and dad kept her fingers away before it was time to launch). She kept repeating "sky is clear, range is clear, 5, 4, 3, 2, BOOM."

Hardline.................................... 17082.0 Ns L3, 8 motors, 4 Ex. 4 comm. 8 flights.
Wayco....................................... 12249.3 Ns L3, 13 motors, 4 Ex. 9 comm. 11 flights

RiffD ........................................ 216.6 Ns (L0, 8 motors, 8 flights)

Hardline.................................... 17082.0 Ns (L3, 8 motors, 4 Ex. 4 comm. 8 flights)
Wayco....................................... 12249.3 Ns (L3, 13 motors, 4 Ex. 9 comm. 11 flights)

Neutronium................................... 1384.0 Ns (L3, 1 motor, 1 flight

RiffD ........................................ 216.6 Ns (L0, 8 motors, 8 flights)
PhlAsh ........................................136.6 Ns (L2, 10 motors, 10 flights)

I am having ridiculous problems with the cut and paste formatting on this thread. The site wants to always assign the previous poster when I do a cut and paste. Is there a procedure for updating this that works? Thank you from us idiots.

Highlight, and copy the latest version of the list. Then paste it into a new post, you will need to highlight the entire text (I right click and "select all"), and then find the "font" drop down menu.
Next, after clicking the drop down menu, you'll see a list of potential fonts (and almost completely hidden at the bottom of the first view you get of the list is "Courier New"

Hardline.................................... 17082.0 Ns (L3, 8 motors, 4 Ex. 4 comm. 8 flights)
Wayco....................................... 12249.3 Ns (L3, 13 motors, 4 Ex. 9 comm. 11 flights)

Donnager..................................... 1504.0 Ns (L2, 2 motors, 2 flights)

PhlAsh ........................................136.6 Ns (L2, 10 motors, 10 flights)

Thanks.

The problem I was having is that there is no longer a font drop-down in the list, you have to choose the three dots (more options), and then select font family.

I'll have it figured out for a while.

Thanks.

The problem I was having is that there is no longer a font drop-down in the list, you have to choose the three dots (more options), and then select font family.

I'll have it figured out for a while.
Gotcha. If I start this thread next year I'll try to remember to update the directions. Can't edit them now.

Donnager..................................... 1504.0 Ns (L2, 2 motors, 2 flights)

PhlAsh ........................................145.4 Ns (L2, 11 motors, 11 flights)

Four trips to Sixty Acres including one on January 1st and two club launches (one at the same site). MicroMaxx through D12. Includes flights by my wife, who was with me on all but two of these occasions, since we share a motor supply.

BEC .......................................... 268.5 Ns (L1, 56 motors, 47 flights)
PhlAsh ........................................145.4 Ns (L2, 11 motors, 11 flights)

I haven't participated in this in the past. I think I'll try to keep up this year. Haven't really launched much so far this year. I did characterize 2 propellants. Plenty more to come.

Dabcat....................................... 2965.48 Ns (L2, 11 motors, 9 Ex. 2 comm. 3 flights)

BEC .......................................... 268.5 Ns (L1, 56 motors, 47 flights)

January got canceled and today got cancelled, but we got a launch in yesterday. A little breezy, cloud deck about 5K most of the day, and the upper winds at 5K were over 40 mph, so keep it low and slow. I only got 2 flights in. Spent a lot of the morning RSO & LCO. We had lots of college teams out testing for spaceport, Virginia Tech Orbital Vehicle Launch Team OVLT, and lots of NASA SLI teams and even more Battle of the Rockets and ARC teams. 8-10 cert flights also. Very busy day.

Dabcat....................................... 2965.48 Ns (L2, 11 motors, 9 Ex. 2 comm. 3 flights)
Handeman ..................................... 614.5 Ns (L3, 2 motors, 2 flights)

Dabcat....................................... 2965.5 Ns (L2, 11 motors, 9 Ex. 2 comm. 3 flights)

Handeman ..................................... 614.5 Ns (L3, 2 motors, 2 flights)
PhlAsh ....................................... 208.8 Ns (L2, 15 motors, 15 flights)

Finally put some rockets in the air after months down.

Dabcat....................................... 2965.5 Ns (L2, 11 motors, 9 Ex. 2 comm. 3 flights)
bad_idea.......................................643.7 NS (L2, 5 motors, 3 flights)
PhlAsh ....................................... 208.8 Ns (L2, 15 motors, 15 flights)

A few flights today.

Dabcat....................................... 3897.8 Ns (L2, 15 motors, 9 Ex. 6 comm. 7 flights)
bad_idea.......................................643.7 NS (L2, 5 motors, 3 flights)

Went to the Feb 3rd SC launch and only flew 1 rocket, my Ultimate 18 on 3 F23s. One cato separating the rocket and the other 2 thrashing around.
Also went to the Feb 24 launch but didn't fly anything.

Dabcat....................................... 3897.8 Ns (L2, 15 motors, 9 Ex. 6 comm. 7 flights)
Rocketjunkie ................................. 240.0 Ns (L3, 3 motors, 1 flight)

One club launch and one trip to Sixty Acres for tARC (where I did a little of my own flying). MMX through C12 motors. Two flights by my wife (at the club launch) including one where we found that the C5-3 is a great Big Bertha motor if you want a straight flight in capricious breezes.

BEC .......................................... 311.5 Ns (L1, 72 motors, 61 flights)
Rocketjunkie ................................. 240.0 Ns (L3, 3 motors, 1 flight)

Another great weekend of flying at TRA/PHX. Sharon flew 10 LPR/MPR rockets Friday and two High Power rockets with research motors on Saturday. I flew six LPR/MPR rockets Friday and one low power wind dummy rocket Saturday with three High power/research motors.

Wayco....................................... 21832.4 Ns (L3, 23 motors, 7 Ex. 16 comm. 21 flights)
Hardline.................................... 20877.0 Ns (L3, 20 motors, 6 Ex. 14 comm. 20 flights)

BEC .......................................... 311.5 Ns (L1, 72 motors, 61 flights)

Another busy launch weekend at BattlePark. Had Rutgers, US Naval Academy, VA Tech, UVA, George Mason teams show up, along with a number of other Nasa SLI, Battel of the Rockets, and ARC teams. Also a number of L1, L2, and a L3 cert flight. I didn't get any flights in on Saturday, but manage 3 on Sunday.

Wayco....................................... 21832.4 Ns (L3, 23 motors, 7 Ex. 16 comm. 21 flights)
Hardline.................................... 20877.0 Ns (L3, 20 motors, 6 Ex. 14 comm. 20 flights)

Handeman .................................... 1278.9 Ns (L3, 5 motors, 5 flights)

It's unusual for me to get nearly to March before getting something on the board, but here we are. 3 flights, F36BS, D20W, D12. I'm counting the D20 as a motor burned even though it was a chuff. It was hard enough that it lofted the rocket off the pad, so I don't feel comfortable burning the rest of the propellant.

Handeman .................................... 1278.9 Ns (L3, 5 motors, 5 flights)

Boatgeek........................................82.1 Ns (L2, 3 motors, 3 flights)

PhlAsh ....................................... 240.9 Ns (L2, 19 motors, 19 flights)
Boatgeek........................................82.1 Ns (L2, 3 motors, 3 flights)

Back